Author Topic: NFL Division 1 - 2020  (Read 77804 times)

Dire Ear

• View Profile
Re: NFL Division 1 - 2020
« Reply #525 on: February 13, 2020, 10:42:59 AM »
I've seen a bit of talk in the media about Conor McKenna returning from the AFL and him having an impact for Tyrone and its not coming from Tyrone people either. I have it it was 2013 when he was a minor the last time he actually played a game?
He's a fine, fine footballer and now a better athlete;  my only worry would be that the way they're being trained nowadays in Tyrone that the football is trained out of them

Tubberman

• View Profile
« Reply #526 on: February 13, 2020, 10:45:22 AM »
While Cliffords red card was disgraceful arguably the worst decision of the weekend went almost unnoticed. Meath should have had a penalty in the first half when they were denied a goal by a blatant foot block by I think Oíconnor. RTE didnít even show a replay of the incident but Iíd recorded it and itís actually a blatant and dangerous foot block.

The Meath player never actually kicked the ball so it wasn't a foot block.

Correct - DOC kicked it away before the Meath player got to it. Great piece of last-ditch defending.

Actual wording of the foot block rule

5.1 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

Stonewall foot block.

This is also a Category 1 Agressive Foul so should have been a yellow card as well as a penalty.

Note the use of the word "block" in the rule. DOC didn't block it, he kicked it.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #527 on: February 13, 2020, 11:38:34 AM »
What was the Meath lad at for the Mayo goal, did the green and blue jerseys confuse him?

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #528 on: February 13, 2020, 02:13:55 PM »
While Cliffords red card was disgraceful arguably the worst decision of the weekend went almost unnoticed. Meath should have had a penalty in the first half when they were denied a goal by a blatant foot block by I think Oíconnor. RTE didnít even show a replay of the incident but Iíd recorded it and itís actually a blatant and dangerous foot block.

Correct - DOC kicked it away before the Meath player got to it. Great piece of last-ditch defending.

5.1 To block or attempt to block with the boot when an opponent is kicking the ball from the hand(s).

Stonewall foot block.

This is also a Category 1 Agressive Foul so should have been a yellow card as well as a penalty.

Note the use of the word "block" in the rule. DOC didn't block it, he kicked it.

Once youíve dropped the ball to kick it you are in the act of kicking and itís very dangerous at that point for an opponent to use his foot to tackle. It was a blatant penalty and yellow card all day long.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #529 on: February 13, 2020, 04:28:33 PM »
I thought it was a definite penalty tbh

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #530 on: February 13, 2020, 05:10:20 PM »
Likewise

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #531 on: February 13, 2020, 05:21:10 PM »
Any of those young Mayo forwards able to kick with either feet? I always found that the biggest difference between Mayo & Dublins forwards.

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #532 on: February 13, 2020, 06:12:44 PM »

Stonewall foot block.

Kicking the ball away with the foot in this instance is and always has been regarded as a foot block.

The referee either missed it or didn't know the rule.

Do you think it would be safe and legitimate for defenders to be allowed tackle players in possession in this manner i.e. defenders would be allowed to try and kick the ball away when the player in possession is in the act of shooting. 

Imagine a situation where this was regarded as a legitimate tackle and it was happening 5-10 times a game - where defenders were swinging their leg at players in the act of kicking the ball.
My understanding was always that the reason a foot block is a yellow card offence was because of the high level of risk of injury. I'm nearly certain this was clarified back in the mid 2000s by the football review task force - from what I can recall they looked at it and issued clarification to refs about it having to be deliberate and emphasising the danger of it.
Can you not see how dangerous this would be when it goes wrong? Just because DOC managed to kick it away in this instance does not make it a legitimate tackle.

bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #533 on: February 13, 2020, 10:22:34 PM »
One of the lads I play a bit of football with is a referee and we had a discussion on it a good while back, his interpretation was that if the blocker's foot made contact with with ball while it was still in contact with the kickers foot it was a stonewall free. However if the ball had left the kickers foot and the blockers foot then made contact with the ball he generally wouldnít whistle it up. Didnít see the incident myself so can't give an opinion on it but just thought Iíd mention one ref's interpretation.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 10:47:56 PM by bucko »

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #534 on: February 13, 2020, 11:47:53 PM »
One of the lads I play a bit of football with is a referee and we had a discussion on it a good while back, his interpretation was that if the blocker's foot made contact with with ball while it was still in contact with the kickers foot it was a stonewall free. However if the ball had left the kickers foot and the blockers foot then made contact with the ball he generally wouldnít whistle it up. Didnít see the incident myself so can't give an opinion on it but just thought Iíd mention one ref's interpretation.

The incident you're describing isn't a foot block AFAIK

omaghjoe

• View Profile
« Reply #535 on: February 15, 2020, 08:47:00 AM »

Aye but if the kick away/block comes within the follow thru of the kicker foot i would regard it as a foul as the danger of I jury is still there.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #536 on: February 18, 2020, 09:16:57 PM »
TG4  have scheduled deferred coverage of the Monaghan Mayo game, sometime after the Galway Tyrone game.
Usually Mayo supporters can't stop nattering about all things Mayo, perhaps cowed into silent apprehension about Sunday's encounter?

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: February 18, 2020, 10:06:35 PM »
TG4  have scheduled deferred coverage of the Monaghan Mayo game, sometime after the Galway Tyrone game.
Usually Mayo supporters can't stop nattering about all things Mayo, perhaps cowed into silent apprehension about Sunday's encounter?

It's a massive game for Mayo. Lose and I think we'll be in Division 2 next year. I'm not expecting a Mayo win given the Donegal and Meath performances. You can make an allowance for the Dublin game, but I think Dublin would have upped the tempo anyway in the second half if we had the fifteen for the whole game. The younger forwards badly need to step up to the plate this weekend for us to have any chance of getting anything out of this one.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #538 on: February 18, 2020, 10:14:54 PM »

It's a massive game for Mayo. Lose and I think we'll be in Division 2 next year. I'm not expecting a Mayo win given the Donegal and Meath performances. You can make an allowance for the Dublin game, but I think Dublin would have upped the tempo anyway in the second half if we had the fifteen for the whole game. The younger forwards badly need to step up to the plate this weekend for us to have any chance of getting anything out of this one.

Donegal look more likely to join Meath in division two next year regardless of the result in Clones this weekend.

larryin89

• View Profile
« Reply #539 on: February 18, 2020, 10:17:51 PM »

Just canít see how we can win it on present form, very disjointed , terrible gameplan , I canít even see a pattern to it at all , itís very free for all stuff, Aido taking that sideline in Navan summed it up for me .  Monaghan are extremely tough and very fit for this time of year , could possibly open us up for a right thrashing but knowing our bucks and their desire to be so mercurial, we will probably win with a headed goal from Robbie Hennelly in the tenth min of injury time .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . Thatís all .