Author Topic: Medical Status of Boardmembers  (Read 20001 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: Medical Status of Boardmembers
« Reply #135 on: April 26, 2020, 10:28:06 PM »
So information and with my dad just recently been given bad news this has been a great view into what he may have to go through.

Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 27, 2020, 03:28:51 AM »
Hang in there MR2...our thoughts are with you and your family.

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 27, 2020, 10:05:43 AM »
Hang in there MR2...our thoughts are with you and your family.

Well said BH...Stay strong men and fight this terrible disease. Hope everything works out
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 27, 2020, 06:13:55 PM »

I get radiation from 9 different angles, which helps the skin as each area gets only 11% of the total dose.  The angles are roughly 40 degrees apart, and 9 make up the full circle of 360 around me as the gantry moves all around me.

This is the trick, the point at which they focus the radiation gets the full dose while the area around it gets one ninth of that dose.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 27, 2020, 08:15:12 PM »
Good luck BH (and MR2), cancer treatment is a seriously long and difficult journey

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 10, 2020, 11:48:55 PM »
Part 2 (radiation and lighter chemo) is over half-way done - reached 52% on Friday last, 8 May, with 13 of 25 sessions complete. 

The great news is that Iíve avoided side effects so farÖthe dreaded diarrhea/dehydration/extreme fatigue cycle is being kept distant by a combination of diet and over the counter medication.  So far, Iím only taking half of the max dose on the OTC meds, so there is room for increasing the resistance as the attacks become stronger. 

If symptoms start appearing, prescription meds will be brought into the battle.  I have 5 treatments this week and 5 next week, followed by two treatments on 26 and 27 May to complete Part 2.  If I can get even one more week without side effects, Iíll consider myself most fortunate.  Have two or even three weeks of severe discomfort will be a small price to pay over what is now 6 months of treatment.

Weight is now 12lbs/5kg below the baseline of chemo 2 on 7 Jan.  Side effects could cause a few more pounds to be shed, but Iíll have all of June to put it back on.

All blood tests that are important are still above the normal personís low threshold which is excellent news.  Glucose levels continue to drop toward normal high levels.

They say the BRAT diet (Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, Toast) helps cure diarrheaÖeven in infants (so you new Moms and Dads take heed), although I fail to see how a normal serving of applesauce helps.  Iím taking all these hoping they might also have preventative properties.  Iím also aware that my glucose meds occasionally cause mild constipation, so Iíve added an extra pill each day, again hoping that getting a little constipated might help prevent diarrheaÖbut who knows if that is true.

It is also approaching the time to start enquiries about what the medicís plan has for me in June as I start preparation for surgery (initial plan has surgery about 4 weeks after radiation ends).  What scans/tests are needed and at what stage of the monthÖthe week after radiation or the week before surgery?  How many meetings with the surgeon are needed?  What can I do to be as well prepared as possible?  What are the criteria to leave hospital?  And details on the colo-bagÖmaintenance plan and how long will I need it.  No doubt, Iíll have more questions and will develop plans to best anticipate and tackle the new challenges.

In any case, Iím delighted to start the second half of Part 2 without the side effects.  Iíll take every day without the side effects with deep gratitude and good spirits.  Iíll update again in 2 weeks, Sunday 24 May.

Thanks again for all the good wishes.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:26:29 AM by Ball Hopper »

quit yo jibbajabba

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 11, 2020, 12:30:26 AM »
Good luck once again BH goin thro all this in the midst of all the craziness

Square Ball

• View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2020, 08:28:01 PM »
Good luck once again BH goin thro all this in the midst of all the craziness
+1
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 11, 2020, 10:21:28 PM »
Sounds like you're doing great BH, considering how tough it is. Keep it up

illdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 12, 2020, 09:16:09 AM »
Well done BH, great to hear some positive news during this difficult time. Just keep giving us the positive and good news.

Ambrose

• View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 15, 2020, 08:48:42 PM »
Inspirational stuff BH, keep it up.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Ball Hopper

• View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2020, 03:13:01 AM »
Part 2 finishes with 2 radiation sessions this coming week (26 and 27 May), as does lighter chemo treatment.  It went really quickly and was easy enough on me for the most part.  Daily sessions had me averaging about an hour from leaving home to back in the doorÖthe sessions were 15 minutes max in the treatment room, and usually under 10.

Weight gain summary: from chemo 2 to start of radiation I lost 9 lbs/ 4 kg.  Since start of radiation on 22 April I have lost another 6 lbs/2.7 kg.  Iíll probably be down another 2lbs/1 kg this week, but overall the weight loss has not been drastic.  Iíll probably put a few back on between radiation ending and surgery.

All blood tests that are important are back above the normal personís low threshold which was excellent news.  Glucose levels better as well, but still high, well above normal high levels.

As expected, diarrhea/dehydration/extreme fatigue kicked in after session 10.  Started OTC meds immediately and moved on to prescription meds after session 13.  Iím glad to report that the meds and a balanced diet meant that, once again, I was fortunate to avoid severe side effects.  A reasonable measure is how often one is up at night for bathroom attendance.  2 visits in any night is the most Iíve had thus far and Iím currently on five nights in a row with zero. 

The side effects may last a few weeks after radiation ends, but will ease almost daily with continued meds over diminishing doses (it seems itís a very bad idea to stop these meds suddenly).  As you might guess, Iím very happy with minimal bathroom visits. 

Over the next few weeks Iíll be getting info on Part 3, surgery.  No specific dates have been set for either the surgery or the necessary scans and meetings beforehand.  Iíll have a list of questions to help me prepare better and hopefully there will be no surprises from the scans.

Will update again in mid-June when Part 3 plans can be discussed. 

Thanks again for all the notes and words of encouragement.

omochain

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2020, 03:42:01 AM »
Fair play to you man ... you are handle this with a lot of openness, honesty, strength and dignity.. the best of luck with the rest of the journey. I am with you all the way.. and good fortune to you and yours

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2020, 10:12:07 AM »
All of these posts are encouraging and fill me with dread equally! Your strength is immense and outlook is positive. Iíve read each post several times to try and prepare in my head the path that my dad may have to take, I know these things can be different for different types of cancers but Iíll know more on Wednesday when I take my dad to the consultant in the Royal.

Keep us updated as you progress BH
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

illdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2020, 10:21:38 AM »
Fair play to you man ... you are handle this with a lot of openness, honesty, strength and dignity.. the best of luck with the rest of the journey. I am with you all the way.. and good fortune to you and yours

+1 Top man BH