Author Topic: Books  (Read 125095 times)

Harold Disgracey

• View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #1185 on: August 14, 2020, 02:18:48 PM »
Berlin Noir series worth a read? I think some lads on here talked about them before.

Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #1186 on: August 14, 2020, 04:44:19 PM »
Berlin Noir series worth a read? I think some lads on here talked about them before.

Absolutely, you will not be disappointed.

+1, but start at the start, even though they do jump around a bit in time. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Subbie

• View Profile
« Reply #1187 on: August 15, 2020, 02:49:14 AM »
The Spy and The Traitor by Ben McIntyre is very good. Cold War true story.

Good one
I have read a few others by that author , very well researched and enjoyable , Operation Mincemeat was a good read

An Watcher

• View Profile
« Reply #1188 on: August 20, 2020, 10:20:18 PM »
Just finished Richie Sadlier's book "Recovering". Have to say it is excellent. Probably the best sports book I've read in a long time

Norf Tyrone

• View Profile
« Reply #1189 on: August 21, 2020, 12:37:45 AM »
Just finished Richie Sadlier's book "Recovering". Have to say it is excellent. Probably the best sports book I've read in a long time

Ever read Forever Young?

It's the story of young Strabane lad Adrian Doherty's aborted career with Man United. Probably the best football book I've read. However as he was in my school I might be slightly biased.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #1190 on: August 21, 2020, 09:12:10 AM »

Ever read Forever Young?

It's the story of young Strabane lad Adrian Doherty's aborted career with Man United. Probably the best football book I've read. However as he was in my school I might be slightly biased.

Yeah Iíve read that. Great book. Tragic ending.

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1191 on: August 27, 2020, 11:03:20 AM »
Obviously this has been out a few years now but just finished "Sapiens.  A brief history of humankind".

It's a tough read at times but my goodness is it worthwhile.  Fascinating stuff pops up all throughout it.  I found I could only read it in short bursts in order to take in what was being discussed but maybe that is just me.  The author has put some amount of work into this.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #1192 on: August 27, 2020, 11:46:40 AM »
I listened to audio version of Woody Allen's "Apropos of Nothing" read by Woody himself, who reads it as if it was a script meant to be read by him.
I didn't have any definite opinions about the man himself, the book presents his perspective and the actual evidence, which was educational  from my perspective.

Ironic that he could do a Purple Rose of Cairo with The Front (1976),  a  film  where the actor (Woody)  playing one of the blacklisted screenwriters  now could emerge from the script and walk off screen to where he is being blacklisted in real life.

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #1193 on: September 05, 2020, 10:50:59 PM »
I  am nearly through Reprisal by F Paul Wilson (its the 5th in a series of 6 books called the Adversary Cycle ) its an excellent read  but is deeply deeply disturbing in places and one section of it was probably the most difficult thing i have ever read  ,  ( John Connolly's new  Charlie Parker novel " The  Dirty South " is next on my list.  )
« Last Edit: September 05, 2020, 11:24:52 PM by Newbridge Exile »

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #1194 on: September 05, 2020, 11:26:38 PM »

Ever read Forever Young?

Really enjoyed it , so sad what happened Adrian .

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1195 on: September 07, 2020, 03:56:24 PM »
Looking forward to the next Joe Abercrombie book due to be released on the 15th.  The Trouble with Peace is a continuation of the series.

If you are a fan of Game of Thrones and haven't delved into this series then you are missing out big time!

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #1196 on: September 16, 2020, 01:58:25 PM »
Looking forward to the next Joe Abercrombie book due to be released on the 15th.  The Trouble with Peace is a continuation of the series.

If you are a fan of Game of Thrones and haven't delved into this series then you are missing out big time!

Great series of books. Some very memorable characters.

In that same vein, Peter V Brett has a series that starts with The Painted Man. Fantasy isn't everyone's cup of tea and I'll only dip in and out of it myself, but I found these very enjoyable.

Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #1197 on: September 16, 2020, 02:23:27 PM »
The Hill.

:-X

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #1198 on: September 16, 2020, 03:53:23 PM »
The Hill.

:-X

This has been widely circulated on WhatsApp so good luck to the lad making any money from the sales.