Allianz Hurling League 2020

Started by Mossy Bruce, November 26, 2019, 10:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

Quote from: clonadmad on March 01, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
What did we beat Carlow by again?

We are a lot closer to carlow than we are to Kk at this moment in time

Grasping the highest tally since 1972 straw is laughable,We were bet and well bet.

How did Carlow fare against Kilkenny on their home soil - you know that same Kilkenny team without their Ballyhale contingent?

We're not bet out the gates by any stretch of the imagination today. There was 5 scores between us (2-03). Laois are improving under Brennan, the days of twenty point hammerings are thankfully rarer and rarer.

We do though have a bad habit of performing poorer against lower ranked teams and a good habit lately of competing with higher ranked ones. With continued improvements we'll eventually sink another big gun or two within a season.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Giovanni

Wasn't at this match today but Laois are definitely improving under Eddie Brennan. With all the injuries and defections, I wasn't expecting a lot but they've done well in my opinion. You can't ignore putting a good score up against Kilkenny and from what I heard we might have had another goal or two.

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on March 01, 2020, 09:34:57 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on March 01, 2020, 09:14:11 PM
What did we beat Carlow by again?

We are a lot closer to carlow than we are to Kk at this moment in time

Grasping the highest tally since 1972 straw is laughable,We were bet and well bet.

How did Carlow fare against Kilkenny on their home soil - you know that same Kilkenny team without their Ballyhale contingent?

We're not bet out the gates by any stretch of the imagination today. There was 5 scores between us (2-03). Laois are improving under Brennan, the days of twenty point hammerings are thankfully rarer and rarer.

We do though have a bad habit of performing poorer against lower ranked teams and a good habit lately of competing with higher ranked ones. With continued improvements we'll eventually sink another big gun or two within a season.

So much wishful thinking on this post

Brennan will be gone after this year

And we won't sink anyone next year never mind this year

Keyser Söze

Harsh there Clonadmad. We are aiming to establish ourselves as a team capable of being competitive in a Division 1 format. We have been competitive at times, and there have been positives, including scoring 1-19 today.
The key thing will be what happens as regards injuries over the next 6/8 weeks. Fellas who I didn't think could hurl at intercounty level have survived in Division 1. If we can get some of our injured heavyweights back to bolster the efforts of the past few weeks there is every chance we can put in a couple of big performances this Summer.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

G@@

Quote from: clonadmad on March 01, 2020, 11:28:56 PM

At least my wishful thinking cancels out your constant negativity. Anyone listening to you would think the best thing to do is to rip up Brennan's contract, use the money saved to send Roddy and the boys on a summer long session and encourage all the young lads in Laois to celebrate July the 12th by creating a bonfire out of every hurl in the county.

I just hope that you are not let within an asses roar of managing any juvenile team in Clonad or further a field. You'd suck the life out any ambition they'd have. It's because of attitudes like yours that we historically have been under achievers. Probably the same attitude permeates many of those players that won't hurl for the county. Negativity begets negativity. Black cat - black kitten: be wiser with your words.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

merman

Quote from: G@@ on March 02, 2020, 01:13:50 AM

At least my wishful thinking cancels out your constant negativity. Anyone listening to you would think the best thing to do is to rip up Brennan's contract, use the money saved to send Roddy and the boys on a summer long session and encourage all the young lads in Laois to celebrate July the 12th by creating a bonfire out of every hurl in the county.

I just hope that you are not let within an asses roar of managing any juvenile team in Clonad or further a field. You'd suck the life out any ambition they'd have. It's because of attitudes like yours that we historically have been under achievers. Probably the same attitude permeates many of those players that won't hurl for the county. Negativity begets negativity. Black cat - black kitten: be wiser with your words.

You dont really believe he is from Clonad do you?

blueandwhite1

So much despair and negativity to add to all the other despair and negativity in the world!!

My read on the league was more positive but I do believe we are in for a very tough championship. Some thoughts:

- We played the league with a significant number of our starting team from 2019 either injured or missing (Lee Cleere, Ryan Mullaney 50%, Jack Kelly in and out, Matthew just back, Mark Kavanagh, Aaron Dunphy in and out and then our long term injuries and absentees Cha, Eanna Lyons and retiree Joe Phelan). We have beaten Carlow which was a massive result and blooded a load of new players who are contributing (Liam Senior, Fiachra C Fennell, James Keyes, Ciarán McEvoy, Frank Flanagan) as well as giving game time to players who are returning (James Ryan and Cian Taylor).
- We didn't get hammered by anyone really. Yes, this might be a low bar but given how many were missing and the standard of opposition you would have to be happy enough with that.

I would say that Dublin again are the most realistic shot we have at taking a scalp this year. We won't be afraid of them. The other teams will probably beat us easily on dry summer sod. We simply don't have enough of the 'hurling athletes' that the likes of Wexford, Galway and Kilkenny have. Given the size of our hurling pick, the relatively young profile of our players and our underage performance compared to these teams it will be no surprise. We are not in the same league. You need a panel of 25 seriously good hurlers for the round robin as it is attritional which won't suit us. Therefore I am always satisfied when we give everything we have and play with pride and to our potential as we did last year and in spots this year so far. At least teams will have to dig deep to beat us. Not being defeatist, just saying it as I see it.

It will also be controversial to suggest this but I think it was potentially a bad decision to allow the Leinster championship to increase by one team in 2021. I really enjoy the matches against Westmeath, Kerry, Carlow, Offaly and Antrim. Nice to get a shot at playing the big teams but until you are truly at the level of the top teams it would be great if you could have a bit of both - a chance to play against teams of your own level in competitive matches and a shot at a couple of Liam McCarthy teams if you are successful. That is why last year was so enjoyable. A two tier round robin where you are hoping to beat the upcoming McDonagh winners and then getting well beaten by all of the 'permanant' Liam McCarthy teams isn't particularly appealing.

SCFC

Quote from: burdizzo on March 01, 2020, 06:31:20 PM
Where have you been for the last 24 hours?! There's no relegation from Joe McDonagh this year. And, yes - Kilkenny without their Ballyhale players.
Eoin Cody is Ballyhale, isn't he? And Darren Mullen.

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on March 02, 2020, 01:13:50 AM

Tell you what

Go and tell a few Hurling people from outside the county about Laois running up their best total since 1975 against Kk

And watch them breaking their holes laughing at you.

clonadmad

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on March 02, 2020, 10:05:07 AM
So much despair and negativity to add to all the other despair and negativity in the world!!

My read on the league was more positive but I do believe we are in for a very tough championship. Some thoughts:

- We played the league with a significant number of our starting team from 2019 either injured or missing (Lee Cleere, Ryan Mullaney 50%, Jack Kelly in and out, Matthew just back, Mark Kavanagh, Aaron Dunphy in and out and then our long term injuries and absentees Cha, Eanna Lyons and retiree Joe Phelan). We have beaten Carlow which was a massive result and blooded a load of new players who are contributing (Liam Senior, Fiachra C Fennell, James Keyes, Ciarán McEvoy, Frank Flanagan) as well as giving game time to players who are returning (James Ryan and Cian Taylor).
- We didn't get hammered by anyone really. Yes, this might be a low bar but given how many were missing and the standard of opposition you would have to be happy enough with that.

I would say that Dublin again are the most realistic shot we have at taking a scalp this year. We won't be afraid of them. The other teams will probably beat us easily on dry summer sod. We simply don't have enough of the 'hurling athletes' that the likes of Wexford, Galway and Kilkenny have. Given the size of our hurling pick, the relatively young profile of our players and our underage performance compared to these teams it will be no surprise. We are not in the same league. You need a panel of 25 seriously good hurlers for the round robin as it is attritional which won't suit us. Therefore I am always satisfied when we give everything we have and play with pride and to our potential as we did last year and in spots this year so far. At least teams will have to dig deep to beat us. Not being defeatist, just saying it as I see it.

It will also be controversial to suggest this but I think it was potentially a bad decision to allow the Leinster championship to increase by one team in 2021. I really enjoy the matches against Westmeath, Kerry, Carlow, Offaly and Antrim. Nice to get a shot at playing the big teams but until you are truly at the level of the top teams it would be great if you could have a bit of both - a chance to play against teams of your own level in competitive matches and a shot at a couple of Liam McCarthy teams if you are successful. That is why last year was so enjoyable. A two tier round robin where you are hoping to beat the upcoming McDonagh winners and then getting well beaten by all of the 'permanant' Liam McCarthy teams isn't particularly appealing.

Completely agree with you as regards our championship prospects

To be anyway even competitive

We needed absolutely everyone on board

This hasn't happened and we've won the one match I said we would win all year.

Dublin will be gunning for us this year and there won't be any surprises

The other 3 won't be letting up,given how Galway messed up on scoring difference when they played Carlow last year.

G@@

Quote from: clonadmad on March 02, 2020, 01:59:53 PM
Tell you what

Go and tell a few Hurling people from outside the county about Laois running up their best total since 1975 against Kk

Ah, insecurities - that explains it.

Tell you what, if you think people are laughing at the efforts of the Laois hurlers then the problem is with them. To ridicule anyone for hurling for their county or their supporters is a very juvenile thing to do. Soccer bandwagonism comes to mind - small man mentality.

I was at the 10 goal concession to Cork. I was in OMP last July when we overcame Dublin. I'll never stop supporting any young man who gives the two fingers to smack and crack to 'don the Blue and White and hurl to the best of their ability.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on March 02, 2020, 10:05:07 AM

I actually agree on this. 6 teams in Leinster will create a cship within a cship. 4 teams competing and 2 trying not to be relegated. The top tier will be diluted and theres a very real danger of 2 teams merely aiming to stay up. Vibrant games v Wm, Kerry, Offaly, Carlow followed by a shot at 3rd placed team in Leinster  suits Laois/Carlow etc better than 5 matches in 6 weeks against tier 1 without a deep panel. GAA have no plan for hurling and merely trade in kneejerk reaction changes to rules and structure changes.

clonadmad

Quote from: G@@ on March 02, 2020, 06:15:43 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on March 02, 2020, 01:59:53 PM
Tell you what

Ah, insecurities - that explains it.

Tell you what, if you think people are laughing at the efforts of the Laois hurlers then the problem is with them. To ridicule anyone for hurling for their county or their supporters is a very juvenile thing to do. Soccer bandwagonism comes to mind - small man mentality.

I was at the 10 goal concession to Cork. I was in OMP last July when we overcame Dublin. I'll never stop supporting any young man who gives the two fingers to smack and crack to 'don the Blue and White and hurl to the best of their ability.

There's only one currency which counts in hurling and it no some stupid fact that you try to dress up as some class of a moral victory

It's called winning

Kk and the rest will never respect us till we do just that against them.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: clonadmad on March 02, 2020, 08:14:54 PM
Kk and the rest will never respect us till we do just that against them.

Do you think this is likely in the near or even distant future? We have 8 senior clubs, 4 of which have shared all county titles in the last fifteen years or so. We have not won a Leinster minor or U21 since god knows when. The only county that has ever bucked the playing population trend has been Offaly. That was a complete anomaly that never happened before and probably never will again with a huge amount of quality hurlers coming from one tiny area of a county. Therefore my expectations for Laois hurling are that they keep improving and do the best with what we have. Although I would absolutely love to see Laois win a Leinster or god-forbid an All-Ireland, it probably won't happen unless population dynamics in Laois swing massively. I will always support our hurlers if they are doing their best with what they have. In particular we have been very good at surviving the doldrums (division 2 etc.) and are the best hurling county with a comparable hurling population at the moment.

burdizzo

Quote from: SCFC on March 02, 2020, 11:39:46 AM
Quote from: burdizzo on March 01, 2020, 06:31:20 PM
Where have you been for the last 24 hours?! There's no relegation from Joe McDonagh this year. And, yes - Kilkenny without their Ballyhale players.
Eoin Cody is Ballyhale, isn't he? And Darren Mullen.

Fair enough. But Reid and Fennelly still to come.

Slightly agree w/ blueandwhite about the championship scenario, but if we can hang in there it just might lift us a bit. Who knows. But, imagine we beat Dublin this year - or any year! - and they couldn't go down?!
A massive population rise won't necessarily mean we have a better hurling team: what we need is for more clubs to cater for the game.