MEATH VS DUBLIN: 3RD JUNE

Started by thejuice, May 20, 2007, 05:42:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

I'd be confident going into the game but if i was neautral and a betting man my money'd be on the Dubs. They are after all Leinster Champs and A-I semi-finalists. But this will be Meaths best chance of beating them in a long time
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Oh there's no doubt the dubs are overwhelming favourites.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gnevin

Quote from: Jinxy on May 23, 2007, 01:02:44 AM
Oh there's no doubt the dubs are overwhelming favourites.
Arent we always
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Northside Dub

I dont think Dublin will fear Meath in the slightest. Dublin will have the measure of them, Dublin by 5 ;D
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Jinxy

I think there'll be goals in this game. An early goal would suit us down to the ground. Still, at least we know we can give Dublin a 7 point head start before we need to start worrying. ;D

lynchbhoy

Dublin a bit cold going into that game.
Meath people are displaying the same time of arrogance mixed with confidence that had inspired the royals throughout the 90's.
A team that have complete faith in themselves (no matter how blindly) and try until the end are never easily beaten.

Meath have a goalscoring knack again, which is why I expected them to beat kildare.
Meath are lucky the Dubs are uncertain regarding their midfield - as I dont rate the meath midfielders either. Athletic, but not tough enough or natural footballers - IMO

Lally might not start as Caffrey is not a fan, but Dec has impressed the boss recently and has for a change, a good chance to start. If he does I'd expect it to be wing forward.
Mossy and Vaughan were apparantl abysmal at free taking against Derry on Sat.
This will be interesting. Two teams still finding the measure of themselves, I expect it to be close and Meath could snatch it if the Dubs dont hit some kind of form - though they are the better side on paper. The game v kildare gives meath a better chance to surprise the Dubs imo.

Northside Dub

Dublin had the best defensive record in the national league so i dont think that the royals will get many goal chances. The outcome really depends on how the dublin forward perform i think they will start with this forward lineup:

Moran  A Brogan  Lally

Mossy  Keaney  Vaughan/Bonner/Connolly(1 of the 3)

Brogan will run Moyles ragged if he starts at CF.
"Practice does not make perfect. Only perfect practice makes perfect."

Jinxy

Is Coyler still stuck up in the stand for this game? He should stay there for luck. We're doing quite well with Dudley walking the line!

The Claw

QuoteThe meeting of Meath and Dublin at Croke Park is always a match to be relished and on Sunday, June 3rd, the sides do battle once again as Dublin manager Paul Caffrey knows his side will not have it all their own way.

Dublin have been the kingpins of Leinster for the past two years and although when the sides met two years there was only a point between them, the Royals have been playing catch-up in recent years.

Following their impressive display against Kildare last Sunday, which saw Meath comfortably defeat the Lilywhites, a lot of pundits feel that Colm Coyle's charges have what it takes to overcome the Dubs.

Caffrey acknowledges this and even though his side will be slight favourites, he believes that does count for nothing when these old rivals meet.

"With derby games, this whole idea of who is favourite means nothing. It meant nothing in the past and it will mean nothing going forward, said Caffrey.

The Leinster champions will have to plan without experienced forward Jason Sherlock, who underwent surgery on a wrist injury last Monday and will be out of action for four weeks, but in better news, midfielder Ciaran Whelan has overcome a groin injury.

The Claw

Farrell is a big loss, question is, GG or Cian Ward? Ward has never really done it for the seniors though no one can doubt his ability. GG loves the stage and playing against the Dubs but has he had enough football?
Personally I would have to go with Graham, if we are not getting enough scores, we can bring on Ward for McGloughlin and put Graham wing forward and let him scare the bejesus out of Casey.

Jinxy

Casey still gets dizzy spells when he thinks about chasing GG's shadow in 2005. ;)

smudger

EugeneGeraghty

Quote from: The Claw on May 23, 2007, 11:08:14 AM
Farrell is a big loss, question is, GG or Cian Ward? Ward has never really done it for the seniors though no one can doubt his ability. GG loves the stage and playing against the Dubs but has he had enough football?
Personally I would have to go with Graham, if we are not getting enough scores, we can bring on Ward for McGloughlin and put Graham wing forward and let him scare the bejesus out of Casey.

I'd go with Ward, he is young but the lad has serious talent. For Meath to win we need to score goals and if anyone has being watching club football in Meath they'd have to agree that Ward is the best in the business

Jinxy

Even if Ward didn't contribute much from play, 3 or 4 converted free kicks or 45's could make all the difference. I'd start him and Graham and leave out Niall McLoughlin. Not his fault, he's just not a forward.

The Claw

Id agree with that Jinxy but they seem to be going for a hard working half forward line and McGoughlin isnt doing anting wrong so I think they'll stick with him.
One question - are they afraid to drop Reilly????