Author Topic: Next Laois football manager  (Read 31927 times)

Batman!!!

• View Profile
Re: Next Laois football manager
« Reply #375 on: October 08, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
Killian Whelan very vocal on Twitter. Someone replied to him saying Sugrue had to buy the water for a challenge game

Helix.

• View Profile
« Reply #376 on: October 08, 2019, 06:20:06 PM »
Killian Whelan very vocal on Twitter. Someone replied to him saying Sugrue had to buy the water for a challenge game

If Im not mistaken was it said before that there was no team doctor for example appointed this year (anyone can confirm this) Thatd be more concerning. Along with whatever list of demands he had while he was in charge that wasnt fulfilled. Champagne dreams on a lemonade budget springs to mind and if hes not getting the backing from County Board financially and with appropriate structures hes right to walk. I also imagine the u20 job came up after leaving the Laois job rather than leaving to go manage Kerry u20s. You can hardly begrudge him managing his home county. Sure wasnt he involved in 08 with the all Ireland winning team.

I can imagine money was tight across the board especially with the hurlers going well and trying to compete to some degree at both grades.

clonadmad

• View Profile
« Reply #377 on: October 08, 2019, 06:50:23 PM »

If Im not mistaken was it said before that there was no team doctor for example appointed this year (anyone can confirm this) Thatd be more concerning. Along with whatever list of demands he had while he was in charge that wasnt fulfilled. Champagne dreams on a lemonade budget springs to mind and if hes not getting the backing from County Board financially and with appropriate structures hes right to walk. I also imagine the u20 job came up after leaving the Laois job rather than leaving to go manage Kerry u20s. You can hardly begrudge him managing his home county. Sure wasnt he involved in 08 with the all Ireland winning team.

I can imagine money was tight across the board especially with the hurlers going well and trying to compete to some degree at both grades.

I can confirm that

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #378 on: October 08, 2019, 07:01:11 PM »
Maybe they should start charging all their mates for admission and car parking. That would yield a nice few quid

Laois Rising

• View Profile
« Reply #379 on: October 14, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
In fairness to Laois county board the cost of running teams has become astronomical. in 2018 over 3/4 million euro spent on our intercounty teams. With hurlers going further this year I imagine that figure could be higher again for 2019. While managers are right to look for best of resources, it is unrealistic for a smaller county like Laois to be able to compete with resources that a county like Dublin, Kerry or Mayo can pump into their teams. These counties can tap into wealthy business people both here and abroad who see potential returns (All-Ireland success) for their significant contributions. We do not have that luxury. It is next to impossible for smaller dual counties to adequately provide for both hurling and football teams. While our county board often comes in for a bashing here, they can only operate within the confines of a set budget.

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #380 on: October 14, 2019, 04:34:11 PM »
If you're right LaoisRising, then getting a lad in from Kerry is a false economy. He's already costing more than Sugrue and what happens if he's successful and the hurlers have another good year? We lost a good man somehow and I have a feeling we have yet to see the full repercussions. Anyway, the coffers will be nicely bulging after yesterday. Good crowd and 20 euro to get in. Hopefully the hangers on paid like the rest of us

Giovanni

• View Profile
« Reply #381 on: October 14, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »
I thought 20 euro entry and 4 for the program was hefty enough for that match yesterday.

Jd

• View Profile
« Reply #382 on: October 14, 2019, 09:49:44 PM »
20 is good value in my opinion. The minor was a great match and Killeshin brought great color and noise and no one left before it ended so 20 for almost four hours isnt too bad if youre into your Gaelic games

les Antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: October 16, 2019, 12:33:40 PM »
Happy to see Kearns back involved with the back room .
Hear Cotter could have a role with the u-20s .

Keyser Sze

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: October 16, 2019, 05:25:27 PM »
I have no idea of the ins & outs of the situation but Kearns and (potentially) Cotter getting involved to me makes it look a bit less likely that Sugrue was "wronged" in some way by LCB?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......