Poll

Would you put a GB sticker on your vehicle?

Hell yes
5 (9.6%)
Feck no, never in a million years
47 (90.4%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Voting closed: September 09, 2019, 09:44:22 AM

Author Topic: GB Car Stickers  (Read 2001 times)

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
Re: GB Car Stickers
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 05:06:59 PM »
No one with any self respect is putting that sticker on their car.

Unionists will.

Am I imagining it, or do some headbangers already run about with an "NI" sticker on their vehicle?

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2019, 06:11:59 PM »

Unionists will.

Am I imagining it, or do some headbangers already run about with an "NI" sticker on their vehicle?

Canít recall seeing any of those.

But labelling your car is like wearing a GAA/Celtic Top . I donít have any distinguishable labels on mine, because I donít want a brick through my window.

Fionntamhnach

• "Hey Lawrence..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
If you have an Irish passport & live in the North, can you put an Irish sticker on your motor?

What counts is where the vehicle is registered, not the nationality of the driver, the country that they hold a driving licence for, or the owner of the vehicle registration. If it is registered up north with a nordie numberplate, then its recognised at a British registered vehicle.

It's **possible** that there might be a legal requirement for drivers of British registered vehicles post-Brexit going into EEA territory being mandated to displaying such a distinguishing sticker. According to Wikipedia, therefore impossible that it's wrong in any way...

The requirement to display a separate distinguishing sign is not necessary within the European Economic Area, for vehicles with license plates in the common EU format which satisfy the requirements of the Vienna Convention, and so are also valid in non-EU countries signatory to the convention Separate signs are also not needed for Canada, Mexico and the United States, where the province, state or district of registration is usually embossed or surface-printed on the vehicle registration plate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_vehicle_registration_code

...which leads on to...

Within the United Kingdom, motorists with vehicles registered in Great Britain may use number plates featuring the national flag of England, Scotland or Wales, or alternatively the Union Flag, together with the code name "ENG" for England, "SCO" for Scotland, "Wales" or "CYM" for Wales, "GB" for Great Britain or "UK" for United Kingdom respectively. Although not officially recognised outside the UK, they are authorised by the nation's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. However, motorists with vehicles registered in Northern Ireland fall within the jurisdiction of the Driver & Vehicle Agency, which does not permit the letters NI to appear alongside any flag; only the Union Flag alongside GB/UK or the EU format (featuring in this case the letters GB), being optionally permitted. The British Overseas Territory of Gibraltar, unlike the Crown dependencies of Jersey, Guernsey and the Isle of Man, counts as part of the EU and, therefore, uses number plates in the EU format.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Europe#European Union

...awkward.  But should it come to it, there will probably be some sort of agreement put in place sooner rather than later. Nevertheless, good luck to any Guards trying to enforce it.
"I can't be arsed any more; too much ignorance, bigotry, dogma, idiocy & retreat from reason"

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2019, 08:24:20 PM »
No need for GB stickers. All cars from OWC already have significantly different number plates from those registered in RoI.  Our cars have yellow rear plates and all RoI cars have the county on the plates. So, they can be distinguished easily.

Already we have our usual sectarian demarcation for NI cars when the owners take them to the continental mainland on holiday. Unionists have GB stickers, nationalist use IRL stickers and core Alliance voters use the non-existent NI stickers.

Also most use IRL stickers on cars on holiday to gain favour with the continental drivers who most likely will not like the British.

GJL

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2019, 08:36:38 PM »
No need for GB stickers. All cars from OWC already have significantly different number plates from those registered in RoI.  Our cars have yellow rear plates and all RoI cars have the county on the plates. So, they can be distinguished easily.

Already we have our usual sectarian demarcation for NI cars when the owners take them to the continental mainland on holiday. Unionists have GB stickers, nationalist use IRL stickers and core Alliance voters use the non-existent NI stickers.

Also most use IRL stickers on cars on holiday to gain favour with the continental drivers who most likely will not like the British.

You can multiply that effect by about 1000 given recent developments.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2019, 04:42:45 AM »

In ancient times, NI cars never needed a sticker in the ROI, while GB ones strictly speaking did. Which makes sense as their sticker said GB.

Mind you, this is strictly illegal.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2019, 01:52:48 PM »
I'm commissioning a witch-hunt for the 4 jokers, lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Aristo 60

• There's no goal like a Down goal!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2019, 04:28:22 PM »
Many of us up here in the North do get excited by 'personalised' English number plates it has to be said.

A different discussion I suppose.

As recent ago as the nineties you wouldn't have seen many English plates and they would even have been treated with suspicion in some quarters but who blinks an eyelid at them now.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2019, 10:28:42 PM »
When the Republic comes, and the day is not far off, the vain will just have to have the same number plates as everyone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 12:34:00 PM »
Looking forward to getting my hands on TY20 SAM next year.
For sale TY19 SAM £500 ono

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

Unionists will.

As they rage against the dying of the light

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2019, 01:45:39 PM »
Looking forward to getting my hands on TY20 SAM next year.
192 or 202 nowadays ;)
Still Connacht Champions

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
Looking forward to getting my hands on TY20 SAM TY201 MCKENNA next year.

Fixed that for you.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2019, 03:15:24 PM »
Seen a ĎNIí sticker on a car today. Donít recall ever seeing one before.