Electric Cars. Real aternative or ego boosters?

Started by Denn Forever, September 02, 2019, 02:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: snoopdog on July 08, 2023, 08:01:11 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on July 07, 2023, 09:02:31 PM
Quote from: full moon on July 07, 2023, 02:27:51 PM
How do people afford them or all these fancy cars, motors are such an expense in Ireland now. Is it just purely all on finance barring those with very high paid jobs?
No idea. Car prices remain an absolute joke. There is zero value out there in my opinion.
Has to be all on finance. When you think some  vw golfs in the south are 35k plus. Who would have that lying around.  Monthly payments are massive. I want to replace the wife's car but the 2nd hand market is still at covid prices. They will prob never come down again.
Same. Hanging on for some value to come back to the market but it is exceptionally slow and unlikely to return to where it was.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 08, 2023, 08:29:14 AM
How do people afford them or all these fancy cars, motors are such an expense in Ireland now. Is it just purely all on finance barring those with very high paid jobs?
No idea. Car prices remain an absolute joke. There is zero value out there in my opinion.
Has to be all on finance. When you think some  vw golfs in the south are 35k plus. Who would have that lying around.  Monthly payments are massive. I want to replace the wife's car but the 2nd hand market is still at covid prices. They will prob never come down again.
Same. Hanging on for some value to come back to the market but it is exceptionally slow and unlikely to return to where it was.
There's value to be had in private sales, but there's obviously risk there. Look for fsh and do some good checks. Cars aren't moving at the min. Some sellers have their car up for months. Try a cheeky offer you'll be surprised how much some will drop.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

general_lee

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 08, 2023, 12:55:06 PM
There's value to be had in private sales, but there's obviously risk there. Look for fsh and do some good checks. Cars aren't moving at the min. Some sellers have their car up for months. Try a cheeky offer you'll be surprised how much some will drop.
I had my old car up few months ago on Facebook market place - fsh, properly maintained, chain kit replaced. Wasn't even asking anything remotely out of the ordinary, but the thing wouldn't budge, despite some interest. Dropped the price not once but twice and eventually got some serious interest. I ended up going with whoever offered me the most and ended up with £500 less than my original asking price.

snoopdog

Quote from: general_lee on July 08, 2023, 02:28:15 PM
I had my old car up few months ago on Facebook market place - fsh, properly maintained, chain kit replaced. Wasn't even asking anything remotely out of the ordinary, but the thing wouldn't budge, despite some interest. Dropped the price not once but twice and eventually got some serious interest. I ended up going with whoever offered me the most and ended up with £500 less than my original asking price.
Maybe I'm just an old fart. But I'd never buy a car of facebook. Donedeal yes.  Wouldn't even think of looking at Facebook for a car. I might have a look.

armaghniac

Not everyone has enough sense to value proper servicing on an older car when it is actually a big part of its value.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

trueblue1234

Went through the same. But then used it to my advantage when buying. The prices are starting to come down. Maybe not in the advertised price as people are eternal optimists when selling, but reality kicks in and if they need to shift the car then dropping price is the only way. Always cut low on the first offer.

general_lee

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 08, 2023, 07:16:06 PM

Went through the same. But then used it to my advantage when buying. The prices are starting to come down. Maybe not in the advertised price as people are eternal optimists when selling, but reality kicks in and if they need to shift the car then dropping price is the only way. Always cut low on the first offer.
Within reason. The worst I got was from some clampet second hand car-dealer. Lowballed me £3k under what I was asking. I screenshot from his website a similar model he had in stock and asked would he take the same amount for that. He turned round and said nobody wanted my car because it was manual - despite minutes earlier having made an offer. I pointed this out to him, he told me to do one and then blocked me! Edit: AH Performance Lisburn for anyone wondering  ;D

Olly

Have there been any cases of families being fried inside electric cars because of shortcircuiting? That would be my fear, driving in one and then the electrics going mad and you frying inside it. You wou;dn't be able to open the door for the electic shock. It would be a horrible way to go but even more horrific if you were driving past a family in an electic car that is shortcircuiting and you watching them frying to death. That's my fear.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

trueblue1234

Quote from: general_lee on July 09, 2023, 12:08:08 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 08, 2023, 07:16:06 PM

Within reason. The worst I got was from some clampet second hand car-dealer. Lowballed me £3k under what I was asking. I screenshot from his website a similar model he had in stock and asked would he take the same amount for that. He turned round and said nobody wanted my car because it was manual - despite minutes earlier having made an offer. I pointed this out to him, he told me to do one and then blocked me! Edit: AH Performance Lisburn for anyone wondering  ;D

But the worst they can do is say no. Nothing worse than getting a first offer accepted!! 😉

LC

From what I can see if you drive past most second hand car dealerships it all primarily seems to be Audis, BMW, Volkwagons & Mercs.  High end cars with high end price tags, surely with the increased interest rates / cost of borrowing like housing affordability will soon become an issue.  I hope this is this the case as will need to replace wife's vehicle in the next few months, it has big miles and starting to give some bother.  Looking on line at the moment and prices are scary compared to what we paid a few years ago for similar model / spec i.e. 4 years old 50,000 miles but easily costing 50% more.

tbrick18

Quote from: LC on July 09, 2023, 03:08:39 PM
From what I can see if you drive past most second hand car dealerships it all primarily seems to be Audis, BMW, Volkwagons & Mercs.  High end cars with high end price tags, surely with the increased interest rates / cost of borrowing like housing affordability will soon become an issue.  I hope this is this the case as will need to replace wife's vehicle in the next few months, it has big miles and starting to give some bother.  Looking on line at the moment and prices are scary compared to what we paid a few years ago for similar model / spec i.e. 4 years old 50,000 miles but easily costing 50% more.

From what I've been told this is driven by what is financeable. You can only get finance on younger cars with less than 100K.
That means those mid-priced cars, say the 5-10K cars can only be bought if you have the cash laying around. Not too many people have that, and if they do, they don't want to blow it all on car.
To make the situation worse, with the way used prices are, the 5K car today is the 2K car 5 years ago. So your money gets you less.

We have a Ford Galaxy, have it 12 years and its more or less worthless ('08 with 180K on the clock). But if I can get it through the test this year, it'll be on the road another year. Its our 2nd car so if it keeps going its staying on the road. I'd advise anyone to do the same in the current car climate.

That being said, I'm currently trying to sell my old car - a 2010 Mercedes Vito (8 seater) and I'm not getting much interest as yet even though it's on usedcarsni and FB marketplace. There doesn't seem to be anything else comparable for sale at the moment so either I'm looking too much or there just isnt the demand for that type of vehicle.  Anyone interested send me a PM  :D

marty34

Will second hand car prices come down?

If so, what will cause them to drop in price?

tbrick18

Quote from: marty34 on July 10, 2023, 03:56:25 PM
Will second hand car prices come down?

If so, what will cause them to drop in price?

It's hard to know.
With interest rates going up, finance costs more so the financeable has a much higher lifetime cost of ownership.
So I'd imagine this will drive some people who wouldn't normally be interested into the cheaper used car market. They'll probably take their bank/credit union loans to buy the used car which will keep the prices high.
On the other hand, if people like me hold onto their 2nd hand cars then there are less to buy and so the price goes up.
Cost of living increase is bound to have an impact on the volume of buyers out there, and usually when demand reduces prices fall.

In reality it's probably all of the above, some factors pulling the prices down and other factors keeping them high.

Just like houses and any other large purchase.

seafoid

Quote from: LC on July 09, 2023, 03:08:39 PM
Petrol price up by 7 cent  on top of VAT changes earlier.

seafoid

I think more price rises are inevitable. In the last 2 days price rises have also been announced in health insurance and interest rates are also on the way up.