Author Topic: Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019  (Read 35500 times)

Hound

• View Profile
Re: Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019
« Reply #555 on: September 02, 2019, 11:03:59 AM »
My instant reaction was that I was very happy to get out of there with a draw. We finished on the up, but I definitely didnít want Kerry to get one more chance to win it, so was happy for Dean to take that last one on, even though it was unlikely to go over, just so long as it went dead for the draw.

Iíve no complaints about the ref. The penalty was a bit harsh, and it did lead to Cooper getting a yellow and red, instead of tick and yellow, but Jonny didnít help himself. Arguably Clifford fouled first on the final foul, but probably not. Impossible to know for sure how 15v14 affected the second half scoreline. I think not by much, though thatís probably very much a minority view.

Perhaps Clifford got a bit more protection than Con and Mannion? Gough had a couple of opportunities to even up the penalty count when Con got manhandled just before a ball came in, and to even up the red card count with OíSullivan, but honestly, I think he got those calls right, while many lesser refs would have jumped at the opportunity to even things up. I think heís the best ref about, and itís unfortunate heís not allowed do the replay. Please donít let it go to McQuillan.

If weíd lost by a point, itíd be Hawkeye Iíd have been whinging about! At least itís the exact same for both teams, but find it hard to understand how a ball barely shaving the inside of the virtual post is not a point, when if it was a real post it would be a point every time. And not that Hawkeye is 100% accurate anyway.

Sean OíSe is some player. Very impressed.

Great game, great excitement, canít wait for the replay. McCaffrey wonít get the freedom he got to carry us through next time, so thereís a few lads whoíll need to step up. Not that Kerry lack much in confidence anyway, but theyíll now know they can beat us.

Hasnít been talked about much in the buildup, but our subs bench has continued to be very much a mixed bag this year.

screenexile

• Up The Screen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 02, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »
Ah lads the video of the Kerry and Dubs fans having a sing off and then all joining in singing "f**k Tyrone" is possibly the funniest/best thing I've seen in ages. Brilliant!!

tyroneman

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 02, 2019, 11:20:58 AM »
If only Tyrone had got to the Final...... ::)

Tyrone are nowhere near the level needed to beat Dublin.

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 02, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
Ah lads the video of the Kerry and Dubs fans having a sing off and then all joining in singing "f**k Tyrone" is possibly the funniest/best thing I've seen in ages. Brilliant!!

Good to still be thought about!!  :)
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

The Hill is Blue

• Des Foley - all time great
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2019, 11:24:46 AM »
Why the very noisy booing of Diarmuid Connolly when he came on? I would have expected more from the usually very sporting Kerry supporters.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

clarshack

• View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2019, 11:31:42 AM »

where can this be viewed?

trueblue1234

• View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2019, 11:42:02 AM »
Why the very noisy booing of Diarmuid Connolly when he came on? I would have expected more from the usually very sporting Kerry supporters.

What were the thoughts on him taking on that shot at the end? I know it was central but must have been 50M out. I thought it was fairly clear that Dublin were passing the ball around trying to create space for a high % shot and think that was a waste.

That said, can you imagine the roar had he landed it. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 02, 2019, 11:51:39 AM »
Jim Gavin will be a relieved man this morning. Outwitted by Keabe yesterday and he made a lot of uncharacteristic errors on the line both with substitutions and lack of changes. It was obvious from early on that Cooper was struggling with Clifford and as soon as he was on a yellow card he still left him on Cliffford playing inside which was a recipe for disaster given Coopers tendency to play on the edge.

I seen enough yesterday to think that Kerry have a good chance in the replay as well, they have a lot of young players who stood up to the mark yesterday and there is no reason to believe that they won't do likewise again in 2 weeks time. Defensively they were much better than I expected whilst O'Shea was excellent from both free kicks and in open play. Dublin are still worthy favourites but even if kerry don't win the title this year they could go on to dominate for the next few years given the age profile of a lot of their players.   

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2019, 11:59:08 AM »

What were the thoughts on him taking on that shot at the end? I know it was central but must have been 50M out. I thought it was fairly clear that Dublin were passing the ball around trying to create space for a high % shot and think that was a waste.

It was exactly 45m out, straight in front of the posts. Well within Diarmoís range, so well worth a pop.

Paddy Small had a couple of efforts that were very low percentage though. Of course, always easy in hindsight!

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 02, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
I thought it was a fantastic game. Great atmosphere, plenty of drama and no shortage of talent on show.
I don't think Cooper can have any complaints. Gough, in all 3 instances of penalty, yellow cards and sending off, I think applied the rules to the letter. Cooper was really struggling on Clifford which was where the real problem lay.

I have to say, tactically I think Kerry didn't take advantage of the spare man, though are probably unlucky to not have won the game.
A lot being said of Dublin not performing, I think Kerry didn't let them perform.
Jack McCaffery was un-markable yesterday. Unbelievable player.
Kerry lucky they didn't lose their corner back, but I heard the commentary last night on TSG that he hadn't any ticks to his name, only a yellow. So another foul would probably have had him on the line to.
Kerry may have missed the boat, but I thought they hadn't a hope this week and look what happened.
Looking forward to the replay.

thebuzz

• View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 02, 2019, 12:02:49 PM »
Not sure where all the Kerry hype is coming from.

Dublin were very comfortable with 15 men, holding Kerry at arms length.

Kerry struggled to even get ahead of 14 men for the best part of the second half and were still dependent on Rock missing a (albeit difficult ) free not to lose.

Add in that several Dublin players were under par, Gavin was unusually poor with his decision making and most of the Kerry team played out of their skins.....

Bit of a one sided view of the game. Kerry should have been ahead with 15 on 15 and quite often in games 14 v 15 doesn't make as big a difference as is made out.

Kerry missed a serious amount of chances in the first 20 minutes when on top. I'm sure part of the reason some of the Dublin players were poor was because they were well marked/their opponents played well. A lot of new Kerry players who could well learn from yesterdays experience. I'm also not convinced Dublin's bench is as good as it once was. If I was putting money on the replay it would be Dublin to win by 5 or 6 but I'd have said the same yesterday and expect another battle in two weeks times.

Being down to 14 men isn't nearly as big a deal as being down to 10 men in soccer. The team who lose the man quite often become more galvanised and with 14 there isn't that big a difference.

Tyrone beat Derry in '95 with 13 men. :( :( :(

Tyrdub

• View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 02, 2019, 12:10:59 PM »

can someone post this up please?

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 02, 2019, 12:13:09 PM »

can someone post this up please?

Or was it a screenexile dream ;D

tbrick18

• View Profile
« Reply #568 on: September 02, 2019, 01:26:45 PM »
Did anyone else notice Jason Sherlock running onto the pitch for practically every Kerry kickout in the first half? He seemed to make a bee line for anywhere within the Kerry half where there was space and sometimes seemed to just run in a loop around it. The pessimist in me thought it looked like Dublin were getting another body on the pitch to make it seem more crowded for the Kerry kickouts. I know nothing illegal about what he was doing, but it did seem un-sporting to me.
Only an opinion from a neutral and wonder did anyone notice this or was it just me making something out of nothing.

One think I would criticise Gough about, there were a few times in the latter stages of the game when players went down injured and he made keepers take a kickout and on one occasion he waved off the medical staff off the pitch. Dangerous craic that, might have been gamesmanship but could have been serious injuries too.

Armagh18

• View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 02, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »

Most decent club players would have fancied that one. For one of the most talented players to ever play the game youíd expect him to score that in his sleep. Thank god he missed it though.