Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Zulu on August 26, 2019, 03:17:29 PM
I don't think that's the reason to be fair. There are very few Dublin or Kerry posters here which is the main reason there's no much discussion. I'm really looking forward to the game and think it could be a great game. Two teams with better forwards than defenders, two teams with a willingness to play an open brand of football. Yes, Dublin are likely winners and may even run out comfortable winners but I felt all year that Kerry are the team with the best shot at upsetting the Dubs and if they get on top in midfield a shock isn't out of the question. I hope Kerry go for it and see how far it gets them.

Kerry have little chance in reality, and that's why there's not much interest never mind excitement, outside of the two counties involved.
The only reason people think Kerry have a chance is because they're Kerry.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

easytiger95

Loads to talk about and no Dublin fan I know is taking this lightly - this is a serious Kerry team, who beat Mayo by the same score as us, and didn't have to struggle in the first half to do so.

Unfortunately, any discussion of the game gets sidetracked here always. Prefer now to do the chatting IRL because online is just a snake eating itself.

joemamas

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 26, 2019, 03:45:07 PM
Loads to talk about and no Dublin fan I know is taking this lightly - this is a serious Kerry team, who beat Mayo by the same score as us, and didn't have to struggle in the first half to do so.

Unfortunately, any discussion of the game gets sidetracked here always. Prefer now to do the chatting IRL because online is just a snake eating itself.

You are kidding right.

I was at the Tyrone V Kerry semi.
Their entire fullback line got cleaned out by Tyrone, who as i mentioned before somewhere, it got to the point that Tyrone were just hoofing it in, as they knew they were going to win the ball.
Their half back line not much better.
One Kerry midfielder, Spillane off at halt-time, didnt get a kick of the ball. They have three/four very good forwards, but will be so focused on shoring up their backs that at least one if not two of them, will spend a lot of time in their own half.
Unless Dublin get a man sent off, they will most likely win by 6+.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tubberman on August 26, 2019, 03:34:42 PM
I don't think that's the reason to be fair. There are very few Dublin or Kerry posters here which is the main reason there's no much discussion. I'm really looking forward to the game and think it could be a great game. Two teams with better forwards than defenders, two teams with a willingness to play an open brand of football. Yes, Dublin are likely winners and may even run out comfortable winners but I felt all year that Kerry are the team with the best shot at upsetting the Dubs and if they get on top in midfield a shock isn't out of the question. I hope Kerry go for it and see how far it gets them.

Kerry have little chance in reality, and that's why there's not much interest never mind excitement, outside of the two counties involved.
That's it in a nutshell. I might place bet on the margin of Dublin's win just to make it a more interesting watch. Any suggestions on the margin?

From the Bunker

Mayo were flogged twice this year! First they had to play 3 weeks in a row to Down (away), Armagh (home) and Galway (Limerick) while Kerry rested, waited and planed for a home tie against them in week 4.

Same for the game v Dublin Mayo played tough games against Kerry (away), Meath (Croker) and Donegal (home) while a rested Dublin played Cork (Home), Roscommon (home) and played their 'B' team to Tyrone (away).

The lead up to both games left Mayo shagged! Don't get me wrong they would have lost both! But to read anything into either results means nothing as the leads up was not on a level playing field. But hey, the GAA is full of non level playing fields.

Anyway, Up the Dubs! Really hope ye do it!

seafoid

Peter Keane : "We are going into an All-Ireland final with a team that does not contain a lot of experienced players. Some fellas are trying to say that we do but we don't.2

Kerry isn't comparable to Dublin in that regard 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Christmas Lights

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 26, 2019, 04:20:44 PM

That's it in a nutshell. I might place bet on the margin of Dublin's win just to make it a more interesting watch. Any suggestions on the margin?

Kerry have a bit of a chance because they have 4 scoring forwards in Seany O'Shea, Stevie O'Brien, Davey Clifford and Paul Geaney.  Its whether they can keep Dublin at Bay the other way which is the big problem.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 26, 2019, 04:37:15 PM

Kerry have a bit of a chance because they have 4 scoring forwards in Seany O'Shea, Stevie O'Brien, Davey Clifford and Paul Geaney.  Its whether they can keep Dublin at Bay the other way which is the big problem.
Maybe next year they will.

easytiger95

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2019, 04:25:03 PM

Mayo were flogged twice this year! First they had to play 3 weeks in a row to Down (away), Armagh (home) and Galway (Limerick) while Kerry rested, waited and planed for a home tie against them in week 4.

Same for the game v Dublin Mayo played tough games against Kerry (away), Meath (Croker) and Donegal (home) while a rested Dublin played Cork (Home), Roscommon (home) and played their 'B' team to Tyrone (away).

The lead up to both games left Mayo shagged! Don't get me wrong they would have lost both! But to read anything into either results means nothing as the leads up was not on a level playing field. But hey, the GAA is full of non level playing fields.

Mayo had that route because they lost to Roscommon. That has nothing to do with non-level playing fields - every county risks a long trip through the qualifiers if they lose early. It didn't cost them in other campaigns.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Christmas Lights on August 26, 2019, 04:37:15 PM

Two of those forwards are still young lads who won't have faced the intensity and intimidation they are about to face on Sunday.

You need a fairly decent defence to stand a chance v Dublin. In the next year or two they should improve defensively but right now I can't help but think this All Ireland final has come too soon for a Kerry team in transition.

Zulu

I think the Kerry backs are better than they are given credit for. We all know Dublin are rightly favourites and a lot needs to go right for Kerry but Kerry have a lot of quality and have a subs bench so I expect them to put up a good show. It'll be a massive shock if they win but I think it could be a good game and if it's not and Dublin trounce them then hats off to Dublin. They're a great side and capable of giving anyone a good beating but Kerry don't need to be the better team, they just need to be the better team for 70 minutes on Sunday. I'm looking forward to it anyway.

From the Bunker

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 26, 2019, 05:14:09 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on August 26, 2019, 04:25:03 PM

Mayo had that route because they lost to Roscommon. That has nothing to do with non-level playing fields - every county risks a long trip through the qualifiers if they lose early. It didn't cost them in other campaigns.

Look at the rest time in other campaigns! No excuses for the defeats, just they went into both those games shagged! And the lead up games had an effect on the manner of their defeats. If you think otherwise you clearly do not have any idea of recovery time from bruising intercounty games.

Sure they lost to Roscommon! But does this mean that you have to treat amateur players like dogs for this?

If you are not happy with losers going back into the AI competition. Then feck them out when they lose, don't be putting them in unrealistic situations.

Best of Luck in the final! I'll be cheering for you! (I'll be cheering for you in next years final as well!)

Rossfan

There's not much interest anywhere outside the 2 Counties Zulu.
Well done to all who contributed to this sad state of affairs.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM