Previous topic - Next topic

WhoDat

Quote from: whitey on September 15, 2019, 10:01:00 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 15, 2019, 04:11:59 PM
Quote from: MayoBuck on September 15, 2019, 02:51:05 PM
Quote from: WhoDat on September 15, 2019, 02:45:06 PM
david moran cost Kerry, I thought
he was shocking in the second half

Kicked a few wides as did other Kerry players but he was their standout player this year IMO. There wouldn't have been a replay without him.

Agreed. What age is he? Kerry will need him if they want to win an all Ireland any time soon

I remarked to someone yesterday that if Aiden O Se did what Moran did yesterday that caused the goal we'd never hear the end of it

kerry get away with plenty just because of their tradition. the difference in the narrative around this kerry team compared to mayo, who were the only team to push Dublin is laughable. we're told that kerry have the gorgeous forwards and can kick a lovely point from anywhere in the park while mayo dont even have a marquee forward supposedly. and yet mayo pushed dublin harder and scored more than Kerry did against them in the 2017 final. the only reason people go on about kerry the way they do is because its kerry. likewise the narrative about them being squeaky clean while Dublin are thugs etc etc it's a joke.

it's a young team and has potential, but it's being overstated to a large degree. I saw nothing over the 2 games that convinced me that we're heading towards another period of Kerry dominance 

Main Street

Quote from: bcarrier on September 16, 2019, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: From the Bunker on September 15, 2019, 10:22:35 PM
Quote from: Whishtup on September 15, 2019, 10:20:44 PM
Testament to Dublin that they were able to bring on Connolly and still win. Bar one sweet pass, he was piss poor and could have cost them the game.  Must be hard to watch for Dublin players on the sidelines that have been putting in the hard yards all year.

Yes, he turned over ball at least 3 times coming into the home front. When possession was the name of the game.

I saw it that way too.

Well done to the Dubs. They are a great team and seem to always find a way to get it done. Until Cluxton goes I think it will stay that way and six and maybe even seven in a row are probable.
Con O'Callaghan should have been black carded but couldnt buy a free after it. The goal should have been blown for steps but remarkable to think it was a pre planned move (blocking and all).

It is up to the others to raise their standards but it will be difficult given the levels Dublin have got to. If you are a believer in the 10,000 hour rule the rest have a lot of time to put in. Kerry didnt look as fit over the two games - Murphy and Foley both went down with cramp ? They can work on that but need to find a bit more steel as well. If Tyrone spent less time on dark arts and more time playing football they can contend as well. Donegal also possible. Anyway it was good sport.
I didn't see that the goal was preplanned, it just happened on the field, Murchan ran down a midfield bus corridor, he took his opportunity and went all the way,  where were all the Kerry players? why was there so much space to run in to? the Kerry players were occupied following players, none were covering the zones of space.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Main Street on September 16, 2019, 12:21:54 PM
Testament to Dublin that they were able to bring on Connolly and still win. Bar one sweet pass, he was piss poor and could have cost them the game.  Must be hard to watch for Dublin players on the sidelines that have been putting in the hard yards all year.

Yes, he turned over ball at least 3 times coming into the home front. When possession was the name of the game.

I saw it that way too.

Well done to the Dubs. They are a great team and seem to always find a way to get it done. Until Cluxton goes I think it will stay that way and six and maybe even seven in a row are probable.
Con O'Callaghan should have been black carded but couldnt buy a free after it. The goal should have been blown for steps but remarkable to think it was a pre planned move (blocking and all).

It is up to the others to raise their standards but it will be difficult given the levels Dublin have got to. If you are a believer in the 10,000 hour rule the rest have a lot of time to put in. Kerry didnt look as fit over the two games - Murphy and Foley both went down with cramp ? They can work on that but need to find a bit more steel as well. If Tyrone spent less time on dark arts and more time playing football they can contend as well. Donegal also possible. Anyway it was good sport.
I didn't see that the goal was preplanned, it just happened on the field, Murchan ran down a midfield bus corridor, he took his opportunity and went all the way,  where were all the Kerry players? why was there so much space to run in to? the Kerry players were occupied following players, none were covering the zones of space.

Look at the forwards from Dublins runs as soon as it became clear Murchan had space.

Textbook, unselfish.

bcarrier

Eoin Murchan also made a significant impact, but Gavin wasn't surprised by the effectiveness of the Na Fianna clubman.

"Yeah, listen it was a great set move from the throw-in," Gavin commented about Murchan's 36th minute goal.

"Really well executed by the team collective you'd have to say. A really nice execution at the end of the move by Eoin. I've seen it before from him, don't think anybody was surprised when it hit the net. You are surprised maybe to get that space from the opening play.

"Eoin did really well, he really committed himself, it is what you see from them when you are with them that often. They all have jobs to do, when we meet it is very brief. So your time is precious with them, but they are a great team, great men to work with."

GalwayBayBoy

I saw it that way too.

Gavin said the goal was a set play but he's maybe gilding the lily a bit there as David Moran actually won the ball but opted to punch it when he could easily have caught it. Once Murchan was past midfield the Dublin forwards did spread to the wings to open up the space for him but maybe a bit much to call it a set play rather than a piece of good fortune followed by some quick thinking from the other Dublin forwards.

easytiger95

Very, very happy. I was shook after the drawn game, even though I had predicted here that it would be very close, and that we rarely kick on in finals. I had to watch the replay from home (the little fella's birthday party) but I was actually looking forward to having a bit of distance from it, given how draining the first game was.

First half was just an expression of everything great in the game, and the second half was an expression of the peculiar ruthlessness that the Dubs have developed since 2011 - if you crack, even a little, they take advantage, and as soon as Murchan gave them some daylight, they were able to play the game on their own terms. Even when Kerry reeled them in, it was taking so much out of them to do that, whilst the Dubs were taking long breathers in possession and were able to pace themselves better.

I was able to get out and in to the city afterwards ("Where is Daddy going???"). Great atmosphere and the Kerry fans were, as usual, graceful to a fault. Saw a lot of people who I have been meeting at matches since the early 90s - we are lucky to have seen this team and these times.

Kerry will be back - just as the 12 minute spell against Mayo led to an over estimation of our capabilities, our second half here shouldn't obscure the immense strain this young team must have been under - if the first game was a free hit, having gone so close the pressure was on the Kerry lads to close the deal. That is a lot to ask of young fellas. There were plenty of seasoned veterans on the team that broke through in 2011 (Cullen, the two Brogans, Cahill, Cluxton etc) and they were needed. These lads will grow immeasurably from this experience.

Saw Ciaran Kilkenny getting his MOTM award, talking of the teachers that instilled the love in him for our games, our culture and his county. Men from Kerry and Wexford. He is from around my home area - only ever met him the once, when I was bringing the little fella to see the Sam. Just very proud that men like him, with an appreciation of all that this means, are still being produced around our way.

Rare auld times. Thanks to all who have congratulated us on our win.

tonto1888

Quote from: The Trap on September 16, 2019, 12:12:47 PM
4 ifs from All Ireland Final:

If Cathal McShane had of hauled down Tadgh Morley in the way Con O'Callaghan did would Spillane have said it was a black card? Answer YES

If Tiernan McCann scored the goal Murchan did would Spillane have said he took too many steps? Answer YES

If Tyrone played a counter attacking game a la Kerry would Spillane have called it a blanket defence? Answer YES

If Tyrone fans were fighting on Hill 16 like Kerry fans would it have made National headlines? Answer YES

TOTAL BIAS IN RTE AND

WITHOUT BROLLY THERE IT WAS A REAL DUBLIN/KERRY LOVE IN!

Sad sad sad

Main Street

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 16, 2019, 12:53:22 PM

I saw it that way too.

Gavin said the goal was a set play but he's maybe gilding the lily a bit there as David Moran actually won the ball but opted to punch it when he could easily have caught it. Once Murchan was past midfield the Dublin forwards did spread to the wings to open up the space for him but maybe a bit much to call it a set play rather than a piece of good fortune followed by some quick thinking from the other Dublin forwards.
I wouldn't put it past crafty Gavin to have had the Kerry dressing room bugged and listen in to Keane's half time talk about a change in tactics for his players get closer to the Dublin players in the 2nd half, but I doubt it, I'd go along with well practiced confident quick thinking by a number of Dublin players who moved as one.

MC

Goal was a pre-planned move in that Dublin always look for that direct run from the throw-in - before extra defensive cover can be put in place - lucky in some ways with the breaking ball but that direct run has been seen in a few games. The forwards pulling defenders out of the way is a common sense response in some ways but I would imagine it has also been drummed in through various training drills so it is an automatic reaction when the circumstances are right.

I'd imagine with Dublin's level of players and coaching they have quite a few such set plays - quite loose in some ways but automatic adaption on the pitch when the circumstances are right.

seafoid

Quote from: MC on September 16, 2019, 11:40:11 PM
Goal was a pre-planned move in that Dublin always look for that direct run from the throw-in - before extra defensive cover can be put in place - lucky in some ways with the breaking ball but that direct run has been seen in a few games. The forwards pulling defenders out of the way is a common sense response in some ways but I would imagine it has also been drummed in through various training drills so it is an automatic reaction when the circumstances are right.

I'd imagine with Dublin's level of players and coaching they have quite a few such set plays - quite loose in some ways but automatic adaption on the pitch when the circumstances are right.
That's one of the advantages they have as a successful team- the continuity that makes drills such as that one possible.  Everybody knows what to do and what to expect from everyone else .
Kerry couldn't match that . For  15 of the panel it was their first time in Croke Park.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Anyone can do training drills. The only difference is having the confidence to execute them.

bucko

I'd say if you look back at Dublin matches over the last two to three years you'd see the amount of times Dublin players are moving into attacking positions before possession is secured from restarts. I would safely say there is a lot of pre planned movement drilled into this Dublin team, it means players are making runs into the right areas in anticipation of possession being won, buying them that extra second or two and metre or two of space that can make a huge difference. I think it'd be fair to say that most play in football is reactive, ie players wait for possession to be won before reacting and moving accordingly. I'd class what Dublin do as a more proactive approach, they're moving without having to think about where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to be doing. The pace at which the game moves now that little bit of time and space is invaluable.

dublin7

Once Murchan won the ball won the ball and crossed midfield you could see it was a deliberate ploy from the Dublin forwards to spread out and leave space for Murchan to run into. Probably couldn't see on tv but Mannion was pointing at COC to make a run away from goal. Serious questions need to be asked of the Kerry defenders though for them all to so naive as to just follow their men blindly away from goal. Seemed more preoccupied with stopping their own man getting a score than actually defending.

Need to find a few corner backs from all those minor teams in the next few seasons, but are they there?

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 07:20:55 AM

That's one of the advantages they have as a successful team- the continuity that makes drills such as that one possible.  Everybody knows what to do and what to expect from everyone else .
Kerry couldn't match that . For  15 of the panel it was their first time in Croke Park.

Eh?

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 17, 2019, 08:37:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 17, 2019, 07:20:55 AM

Eh?

Bringing in a new panel for the second game was ultimately a risk that didn't pay off for Kerry
Hasta la victoria siempre