Author Topic: Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm  (Read 17613 times)

larryin89

• View Profile
Re: Mayo v Dublin - AISF - Saturday 5pm
« Reply #510 on: August 21, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »
2017. Best performance I've seen by a losing team. Too many first half wides. 2013 went through my head at half time.

I said it at ht to a neighbour of mine , ala 2013. We needed to be further ahead and should of been.

We probably won't see Mayo win it now but I don't believe the potential is not there to win all irelands . I don't believe the vision is there nor the culture . If you can't get men like young Irwin and o donoghue lad from belmullet to behave and buckle down , ''tis a bad sign on your leaders . Cathal Horan is another . Something very wrong and always has been in Mayo when you can't maximise on your elite players , Mayo has too small a pick to let any talent slip through .

You only have to observe some of the commentary over on the wj blog to understand men that have a say in Mayo football some are not even football men , they haven't a footing clue .
You can't be serious.

I knew someone would jump in there , yes Mayo have a small pick like everyone else compared to Dublin .  I'd love some of you guys to actually attend some Saturday mornings nurserys at the big Dublin clubs , this is a different world , different plannet.
Not a sheep stole in Castlebar since 1986.

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: August 21, 2019, 02:54:00 PM »
I am surprised this thread is still going, By reading the posts on here it is still hurting, lots of complaints and excuses.

Anyone want to summarise the excuses here:

Cork   0-17           Mayo   1-11   
Meath 0-12           Mayo   1-9               (Draw)
Meath 2-9           Mayo   1-11               (Replay)
Kerry   0-13           Mayo   1-7   
Kerry   1-20           Mayo   2-9   
Kerry   4-15           Mayo   3-5   
Donegal 2-11           Mayo   0-13   

Dublin 2-12            Mayo   1-14   
Dublin 2-9           Mayo   0-15   
Dublin 1-15           Mayo   1-14   
Dublin 1-17           Mayo   1-16

Not so long ago you could have put up the same stats about Dublin. But ye got a bit more help getting over the line with a litany of home fixtures and Financial doping!

I really hope ye win! A Kerry win would only prolong this madness for more years!

The above is finals only, Dublin were usually embarresed by the semis by Kerry, Tyrone and others, but the bottom line was Dublin were not good enough to win it and  i think that in most cases acceptable view held by the majority of Dublin fans, not excuses blaming everything and everyone before looking at themselves. However, if you talking early 90s, they did eventually get over the line. And i do believe Mayo have been good enought to win one, but have blown it.

If you are not good enough you are not good enough. Bar '96 and 2013-17 Mayo were a fair distance off winning Sam. Dublin lost a fair amount of Big Games where they had an above average group of players between 1983 and 2010. They had as much of a name for choking on the big day as Mayo have. There is a direct correlation with Dublins success in relation to them getting more home games and Financial help. You may not like to hear this but the stats prove it.

Best of luck next Sunday. I will be cheering ye.

There was a direct correlation between Tyrone and Kerry being better than Dublin and their victories in Croke Park, no excuses for Dublin!! Westmeath and Laois beat Dublin in Croke park back then as well as even then Dublin played all their games in Croker in that period (except for a few qualifiers)

You can then see these teams regressing through retirements of some of the best players ever to wear their county jersies. At the same time Dublin have seen all time great players come through. All this has played a part in Dublin's dominance, but sure it's just the money that has Dublin on top.

It is a bit worrying that you're supporting Dublin in the final (I just hope you're not going) When Mayo fans go to an All Ireland final to support their team on All Ireland day it never ends in victory.

The losses to Tyrone and Kerry were before the Doping Kicked in Pre-2011.  Look at the over whelming stats post that! As for me shouting for Dublin. I was shouting for them last year as well. Didn't do them any harm!

What a load of s**e. You could try make an argument for current players like O'Callaghan, Murchan, Scully coming through with thanks to funding but to claim it benefited the 2011 team is just more of your bitter and deluded nonsense. Alot of the 2011 team played in CROKE PARK when hammered out the gate by Tipp and Tyrone in earlier years. Gilroy changed the mentality of that team not money. You clearly missed that what with only hopping on the dublin bandwagon the last few years.
What a load of shite, to borrow your own phrase!  ;D
Dublin as been getting preferential funding since at least 2004. THis matter has been done to death on this board many times before. You needn't look too hard or too long if you go to the Money, Dublin and the GAA thread.
The term , GDO, may not have been used back then but the purpose of the grants were the same.
I can't really understand your reason for keeping this thread running so you can snap and snarly at anyone who doesn't think the Dubs are the greatest thing since sliced bread.
Most Dubs I know are happy to let the past take care of itself and are looking forward to the final and most likely immortality and good luck to them.  I have yet to come across a Mayo follower who doesn't wish the Dubs good luck in the final and all are prepared to let the past stay where it belongs. Must be a guilt complex that brings a few Dubs, and very few at that, back here tie ans time again to show how ungracious and small minded they are.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublin7

• View Profile
« Reply #512 on: August 21, 2019, 03:13:16 PM »
What pisses off Dublin fans is this notion that their success is purely down to money and the BS that goes with it. People on this website happy to bitch about Dublin's advantages all day long but nothing said when Leitrim/Sligo get hammered in Connaught every year.

Kerry won 5 in a row at minor level and I didn't hear any calls for their funding to be reduced to give everyone else a chance.
How many county boards around the country are disfunctional and have no underage/coaching structures in place yet people think taking money off dublin and giving to them will somehow make them better.

Do Leitrim bitch about the advantages Mayo/Galway have over them??? No. Their best player Emlyn Mulligan just wants a fairer competition for the weaker teams.

Lar Naparka

• I just know this is gonna be our year!
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: August 21, 2019, 04:19:02 PM »
What pisses off Dublin fans is this notion that their success is purely down to money and the BS that goes with it. People on this website happy to bitch about Dublin's advantages all day long but nothing said when Leitrim/Sligo get hammered in Connaught every year.

Kerry won 5 in a row at minor level and I didn't hear any calls for their funding to be reduced to give everyone else a chance.
How many county boards around the country are disfunctional and have no underage/coaching structures in place yet people think taking money off dublin and giving to them will somehow make them better.

Do Leitrim bitch about the advantages Mayo/Galway have over them??? No. Their best player Emlyn Mulligan just wants a fairer competition for the weaker teams.
That's fair enough and I accept that a lot of Dublin's success is down to hard graft and volunteer work.
I have said it any times her that I don't blame Dublin for taking all the money they can get and I don't begrudge them any amount of ALL Irelands either. They are playing the same system as every other county. That's human nature and Mayo/ Kerry/Donegal or whoever would do the very same if they got half a chance.
but it is up to the other county boards to make their feelings known as bitching on forums like this won't do anyone any good.
However, II have yet to hear a credible reason as to why Dublin gets c. 254 per registered player and, say, Kerry gets only 19. I don't blame Dublin for this but I do blame Kerry.
BTW, I will be rooting for Dublin in the final and so will most Mayo people I know.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

An Fhairche Abu

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: August 21, 2019, 04:31:24 PM »

Anyone who asserts that Dublin's current success is purely down to the money are flat out wrong. As you rightly point out there are many county boards that would only misuse the money if they got it and those county boards don't have the right people involved at the top level that are needed to successfully execute a long term strategy - be that strategy increased participation rates within the county or putting in place one to increase the success of their inter-county teams over a long period. Dublin county board are to be admired for the way that they have so professionally organised themselves with competent people in key roles and when you put this in addition to other factors such as the hard work at underage in Dublin GAA clubs, better quality of player Dublin are producing, quality of management setup, best sponsorships, natural population and economic advantages etc. then their current success is no shock at all.

Now likewise the Dubs that constantly bleat about people running the current success down, Dublin has a myriad of in built advantages already that no other county in the country has and they get the lion's share of funding on top, that's just a fact. There has to be an acknowledgement as well of Dublin fans who ascertain that money has nothing (and this is the key word here, from John Horan - who has barely bothered to conceal his Dublin loyalties with some of his statements while in the office of GAA President - on down), absolutely nothing to do with the current and future success of Dublin, which is to me people trying to make an argument that simply doesn't stack up.
The notion that money isn't a factor at all is at best, extreme wishful thinking on their part, the insinuation made this year that GAA members in other counties simply aren't volunteering hard enough would be laughable if it wasn't so serious an issue.
Lar Naparka is correct to raise the question of what are the other counties doing about this situation, Dublin GAA will take whatever they can get out of it, they don't care about the general health of the rest of the GAA outside of themselves.