Quote from: tyrone08 on August 03, 2019, 07:43:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 03, 2019, 07:36:38 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 03, 2019, 07:18:29 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 03, 2019, 07:05:24 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2019, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 03, 2019, 07:03:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2019, 07:00:21 PM
That's a shockin decision

Aidan O'Shea is a diving cheat. McFadden hits him wirh his chest and he goes down holding his head like he's shot.

Lee Keegan clearly had Murphy by the shirt for the long ball in for the penalty.

6 of one half a dozen of the other. Never a penalty. And yer  man was lucky to not get a red
If he'd punched or elbowed him then absolutely. Donegal lad did neither

How about a headbutt. Was a completely stupid frontal challenge and deserved a red. Donegal are the dirtiest team  I seen this year going by this game

I say it again: you are an idiot.

Hope that is a comfort to you. If you are happy for your player to.do that and risk getting sent off then it's a good thing you are not a manager. I will say it again it was a completely stupid challenge to do.

Donegal have been over hyped massively this year,they beat a poor Tyrone team and drawed against kerry. Talk about beating dublin obviously got to the players
As a Tyrone fan that game was like a foreign sport to you as both teams actually played attacking football and tried to win a game.

Do you not accept the days of implementing the blanket defence to win big games in Croker are gone??

Tomorrow's game in Omagh is going to be s**t to watch regardless who wins as Tyrone are going to go with their defensive tactics that all the top teams have figured out and won't be good enough to win in Croke Park

GalwayBayBoy

Poor Jamie Brennan went from nailed on All Star after the Ulster championship to two complete no shows to finish the season.

maigheo

Quote from: Hound on August 03, 2019, 07:22:35 PM
That's why Keegan is not near the player of Connolly. Easy to stop someone from playing
Shocking wide.
Do not forget that Keegan has outscored Connolly in all his duels with him but you are right ,not near the player Connolly is :) :)

WhoDat

Keegan  consistently gets the better of not only Connolly but pretty much ever "star" player in the country. He's a brilliant footballer. Only people who think football is about being flash and OTT think otherwise

sid waddell

That was pure bullying, pure defiance. f**king primal. The third time Mayo have done it this year in a big match. They've never won a championship but they are more of a championship team than 80% of teams who have. How could you not be moved by it.

I don't think they'll be able to raise it to that extent against a Dublin team who won't be bullied, but then again, what's the difference between tonight and what happened two years ago when Mayo suddenly kicked into gear and played the best football they've ever played?

And Tyrone are going to beat Dublin, aren't they?

Any Galway people still want to make out Mayo would have folded like Galway did in last year's All-Ireland semi-final?

Cherish this team, they are unique.

tyrone08

Quote from: dublin7 on August 04, 2019, 01:46:50 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 03, 2019, 07:43:31 PM
Quote from: J70 on August 03, 2019, 07:36:38 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 03, 2019, 07:18:29 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 03, 2019, 07:05:24 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2019, 07:04:24 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 03, 2019, 07:03:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 03, 2019, 07:00:21 PM
That's a shockin decision

Aidan O'Shea is a diving cheat. McFadden hits him wirh his chest and he goes down holding his head like he's shot.

Lee Keegan clearly had Murphy by the shirt for the long ball in for the penalty.

6 of one half a dozen of the other. Never a penalty. And yer  man was lucky to not get a red
If he'd punched or elbowed him then absolutely. Donegal lad did neither

How about a headbutt. Was a completely stupid frontal challenge and deserved a red. Donegal are the dirtiest team  I seen this year going by this game

I say it again: you are an idiot.

Hope that is a comfort to you. If you are happy for your player to.do that and risk getting sent off then it's a good thing you are not a manager. I will say it again it was a completely stupid challenge to do.

Donegal have been over hyped massively this year,they beat a poor Tyrone team and drawed against kerry. Talk about beating dublin obviously got to the players
As a Tyrone fan that game was like a foreign sport to you as both teams actually played attacking football and tried to win a game.

Do you not accept the days of implementing the blanket defence to win big games in Croker are gone??

Tomorrow's game in Omagh is going to be s**t to watch regardless who wins as Tyrone are going to go with their defensive tactics that all the top teams have figured out and won't be good enough to win in Croke Park

Note sure what your reply has to do my my post lol. But I agree heavy defensive football isn't going to win anything. Let's not kid ourselves either dublin have 13 men behind the ball at numerous times in tight games like every other team.

A balanced attacking approach is what teams need. Hopefully tyrone have learnt these lessons but I'm not so sure as mickey is stubborn to a fault

omagh_gael

I don't know how you Mayo bucks survive following your team. I shite the togs when at a Tyrone game and it's often as exciting as the Angelus at 6pm!

J70

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 03, 2019, 08:36:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on August 03, 2019, 08:20:33 PM
Right Mayo, you better go on and win this feckin' thing now.

Mayo would remind you of Offaly 1982 history to repeat itself?

Donegal were rubbish on evening when they were meant to prove themselves as top 5 team. Most of their youngish players looked lost when Murphy had probably his worse game all summer. They now depart this championship with more questions than answers.

We were clearly not prepared for Mayo's intensity. With a fair sprinkling of young players, we got bullied. Possibly there was also a slight bit of complacency going in, although I cannot fathom why. The only question going forward is whether we will learn from it and stand up and fight (for the game) the next time. If so, a good lesson. I doubt if Oisin Gallen has been exposed to that before: every time he got the ball, he was swarmed by furious, physical Mayo defenders and didn't get an inch to show his shooting talent or even keep possession.

On Murphy, I'd agree that the team looked lost, but I don't think he had a poor game (at least in the second half), even if it was his worst of the summer. He hit a few superb points, was very unlucky with a turn-and-shot off his left, and almost single-handedly dragged us back into the game. Unfortunately, he ended up losing the head a bit towards the end and hit a few awful shots.

Although he wasn't the only one. Michael Langan missed two relatively easy chances in the second half from 35m when he was totally unmarked. He's been putting them over in his sleep all summer. Those were soul-destroying misses that should have kept us within a point or so, but along with the other similar, if less blatant misses, allowed Mayo to ease back ahead at a time when we were doing very well possession-wise.

Overall, unlike the game last year that knocked us out of the Super 8s when we played well for large parts but just didn't have enough in the end for Tyrone, I think there is going to be a lot of regrets looking back at this one. This was an evening where the team let themselves down. Maybe certain players weren't quite fully fit, but Mayo had injury issues going into it too. Mayo showed up willing to put their bodies on the line, fight for every inch, lead by example and be brave with the ball. Too many of our men didn't. We folded and backed down from the fight like Donegal teams used to always do 15 years ago. Hopefully it will be the last time.

Sportacus

Two teams going at each other, a credit to both set ups.  Mayo looked a wee bit hungrier.  I thought yesterday was one of McLaughlins good days.  He made a difference.

Rudi

Fine championship game, feel a bit sorry for Donegal one bad game and out. Mayo got to hand it to them some team and fully deserved their win. I see Joe Brolly has an article in the Sindo today full of praise for Mayo, should he not just f#ck off. Why do papers, TV stations give idiots like this a platform.

J70

Quote from: Rudi on August 04, 2019, 11:44:38 AM
Fine championship game, feel a bit sorry for Donegal one bad game and out. Mayo got to hand it to them some team and fully deserved their win. I see Joe Brolly has an article in the Sindo today full of praise for Mayo, should he not just f#ck off. Why do papers, TV stations give idiots like this a platform.

Did he not say they "were gone" literally three weeks ago?? ;D

dublin7

Quote from: Rudi on August 04, 2019, 11:44:38 AM

If you actually bothered to read the article its perfectly reasonable. He points out Mayo fought for every ball, Donegal players disapppeard in the 2nd half (bar Murphy) and had some shocking point attempts on goal.

Also that poor Mayo finishing kept Donegal in the game and their conversion rate for shots on goal was only around 38% and that wont be good enough next week

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: J70 on August 04, 2019, 11:16:24 AM

We were clearly not prepared for Mayo's intensity. With a fair sprinkling of young players, we got bullied. Possibly there was also a slight bit of complacency going in, although I cannot fathom why. The only question going forward is whether we will learn from it and stand up and fight (for the game) the next time. If so, a good lesson. I doubt if Oisin Gallen has been exposed to that before: every time he got the ball, he was swarmed by furious, physical Mayo defenders and didn't get an inch to show his shooting talent or even keep possession.

On Murphy, I'd agree that the team looked lost, but I don't think he had a poor game (at least in the second half), even if it was his worst of the summer. He hit a few superb points, was very unlucky with a turn-and-shot off his left, and almost single-handedly dragged us back into the game. Unfortunately, he ended up losing the head a bit towards the end and hit a few awful shots.

Although he wasn't the only one. Michael Langan missed two relatively easy chances in the second half from 35m when he was totally unmarked. He's been putting them over in his sleep all summer. Those were soul-destroying misses that should have kept us within a point or so, but along with the other similar, if less blatant misses, allowed Mayo to ease back ahead at a time when we were doing very well possession-wise.

Overall, unlike the game last year that knocked us out of the Super 8s when we played well for large parts but just didn't have enough in the end for Tyrone, I think there is going to be a lot of regrets looking back at this one. This was an evening where the team let themselves down. Maybe certain players weren't quite fully fit, but Mayo had injury issues going into it too. Mayo showed up willing to put their bodies on the line, fight for every inch, lead by example and be brave with the ball. Too many of our men didn't. We folded and backed down from the fight like Donegal teams used to always do 15 years ago. Hopefully it will be the last time.

Donegal were not bullied. They were unprepared for a physical game played with real intensity. Too many of their younger players lack the strength and conditioning to deal with more battle hardened Mayo players.

You forgot to mention that McBreatty was not worth his place on the team.  He demands the ball to be placed on his hands before he takes a shot.  Wasn't prepared to do the dirty work against the Mayo defenders and then stood shouting at others who didn't deliver the perfect pass. Also you forgot to mention that McHugh wasn't at the game either when faced with tenacious tackling and strength.

Having Rochford on the sideline didn't pay much dividend and Horan easily won the tactical and preparation battle. Defensively, Donegal couldn't deal with Mayo running through their defensive lines and were flattered by the score line.

Fully agree that Donegal fell back last night to the pre-McGuinness era of not being able to deal with it when it was put up to them.

tyrone08

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 04, 2019, 12:43:30 PM

Donegal were not bullied. They were unprepared for a physical game played with real intensity. Too many of their younger players lack the strength and conditioning to deal with more battle hardened Mayo players.

You forgot to mention that McBreatty was not worth his place on the team.  He demands the ball to be placed on his hands before he takes a shot.  Wasn't prepared to do the dirty work against the Mayo defenders and then stood shouting at others who didn't deliver the perfect pass. Also you forgot to mention that McHugh wasn't at the game either when faced with tenacious tackling and strength.

Having Rochford on the sideline didn't pay much dividend and Horan easily won the tactical and preparation battle. Defensively, Donegal couldn't deal with Mayo running through their defensive lines and were flattered by the score line.

Fully agree that Donegal fell back last night to the pre-McGuinness era of not being able to deal with it when it was put up to them.

Would agree with majority of that. The amount of times McBreatty was seen shouting at his team mates for an slightly off pass told its own story. He is a fantastic player when given a bit of space but he has been marked out of it for many a game against the bigger teams. He took far to many snap shots yesterday.

Murphy played great and tried his hardest to drag Donegal back into it. McHugh had a very poor game and was well marked.

In 1-2 years time this should be a great Donegal team but I had thought they were a bit overhyed by the fans. Spent a bit of time in Donegal recently and even back before they played Tyrone there was serious confidence in the fans which I found strange as they finished 2nd in Division 2.

J70

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 04, 2019, 12:43:30 PM

What's the difference between saying "bullied" and saying they were overpowered by the physicality and intensity? Its the same thing in this context. I'm not saying the Mayo lads were beating them up, calling them names and stealing their lunch money.

As for McBrearty and McHugh - I wasn't claiming to write a thorough recount of the match. I thought McBrearty was justified in complaining about the quality of some of the attempted passes to him (there were a couple of moves broke down when easy scores were on but a poor attempted pass resulted in a turnover), although I think the first half conditions definitely affected Donegal's quick handpassing and ball handling, obviously in addition to the Mayo pressure. However, he didn't put his money where his mouth is when he did get the ball, and took some poor shots given the conditions. McHugh couldn't get in the game. You're not going to dominate every day at this level. That's when the team needs others to stand up, but unfortunately they weren't there for us, except for Murphy and arguably younger lads like O'Baoill and O'Donnell. Like I said previously, hopefully this will stand to the newer players in the long run, but there's no guarantees.