Tír Eoghain vs Átha Cliath, An Omaigh, Sunday 4th August @ 4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 21, 2019, 09:17:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 26, 2019, 03:21:44 PM

Dublin fans want to see open games because they are more enjoyable to watch. Watching Dublin v's Tyrone where they've played defensive hasn't made it too much harder for Dublin to win

True, however, the Dublin fans themselves are proving nothing other than foregone conclusions in sport, as in virtually every other avenue of human endeavour, is not worth the effort of getting up off the oul arse, with severely diminishing attendances at every stage of the All-Ireland over the last few years being all the testimony you need. 

And look, whether we go toe-to-toe, or full duvet, at whatever stage of the competition, the utter predictability of the result is a bore, however garlanded we might feel by the platitudes poured on us by the likes of your well intentioned selves. If it takes a fecking titanium blanket, and we thwart the drive for five, and it's positively a poisonous spectacle for the poor bystander, feck it, I won't give one atom of shite.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

seafoid

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 27, 2019, 12:35:41 AM
Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on July 26, 2019, 03:21:44 PM

Dublin fans want to see open games because they are more enjoyable to watch. Watching Dublin v's Tyrone where they've played defensive hasn't made it too much harder for Dublin to win

True, however, the Dublin fans themselves are proving nothing other than foregone conclusions in sport, as in virtually every other avenue of human endeavour, is not worth the effort of getting up off the oul arse, with severely diminishing attendances at every stage of the All-Ireland over the last few years being all the testimony you need. 

And look, whether we go toe-to-toe, or full duvet, at whatever stage of the competition, the utter predictability of the result is a bore, however garlanded we might feel by the platitudes poured on us by the likes of your well intentioned selves. If it takes a fecking titanium blanket, and we thwart the drive for five, and it's positively a poisonous spectacle for the poor bystander, feck it, I won't give one atom of shite.

Tá an ceart agat. Tá craobh na hÉireann lofa

t_mac

Quote from: hardstation on July 27, 2019, 12:25:06 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on July 27, 2019, 12:18:31 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on July 26, 2019, 11:59:48 PM
Paying defensive against Dublin basically a admission they got better team and players.

Playing defensively against dublin is a sign these days that  the opposition team is already beaten before they start and only want to keep the score down. Cork showed that to beat dublin you need to take them on, but didnt have the fitness to keep with then for last 15 min

Donegal have finally ditched their ultra defensive tactics and have shown only themselves and Kerry so far this year look capable of beating dublin.
What?
Cork showed how to beat Dublin... they lost heavily.
Kerry & Donegal have showed fcuk all in relation to Dublin.

Tyrone have showed fcuk all in relation to anybody, beat Derry and Antrim in Ulster two division 4 teams - hammered out the park by Donegal, and then Longford, Kildare and Cavan, Dublin will beat them with their bench.

RedHand88

Quote from: t_mac on July 27, 2019, 08:45:56 AM
Paying defensive against Dublin basically a admission they got better team and players.

Playing defensively against dublin is a sign these days that  the opposition team is already beaten before they start and only want to keep the score down. Cork showed that to beat dublin you need to take them on, but didnt have the fitness to keep with then for last 15 min

Donegal have finally ditched their ultra defensive tactics and have shown only themselves and Kerry so far this year look capable of beating dublin.
What?

Tyrone have showed fcuk all in relation to anybody, beat Derry and Antrim in Ulster two division 4 teams - hammered out the park by Donegal, and then Longford, Kildare and Cavan, Dublin will beat them with their bench.

Hammered out the park.... by 4 points!!  ::)

Angelo

What?

Donegal are the only team to show how to beat Dublin in Championship under Jim Gavin.

It was swarm defence and rapid counters that did it for them. Since then Dublin have adjusted to be able to cater for that and nobody have shown how to beat them since. To be fair Mayo have put it up to them in their prime years.

Ultimately what dictates how you can beat Dublin or if you can beat Dublin will vary for different teams, they have no real apparent weakness. I do think you can rattle Cluxton though and it has happened in previous years. Kerry did it in a semi final a few years back, Mayo did it near the end of a drawn final when they were well behind a few years back and Tyrone did to him in the Super 8s last year. Mayo were successful in really challenging Dublin as they had huge physicality and pace across the middle of the pitch and they had tight tigerish defenders who they trusted in one on one situations. I see a lot of those qualities in the Donegal team right now with an even better attack but I think the injuries have really damaged their chances. Mayo for their prime years 2012-2017 were very fortunate with injuries, they managed to keep all their key players fit. I think Andy Moran had an ACL injury in 2012 but that was really the worst of it.

I'd be worried about Tyrone adopting the Mayo approach against Dublin, I don't think our defenders are good enough man on man to curtail Dublin. We need to strike the balance between the mass defence but in a way which allows us to keep more players in the opposition half to counter quickly.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

t_mac

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 27, 2019, 09:30:42 AM

What?

Yip totally hammered out of the park, did you see the game - they were outclassed all over the field.

RedHand88

Quote from: t_mac on July 27, 2019, 10:47:45 AM

What?

Yip totally hammered out of the park, did you see the game - they were outclassed all over the field.

I was indeed, still only 4 points in it  :P

t_mac

Quote from: RedHand88 on July 27, 2019, 10:49:53 AM
Quote from: t_mac on July 27, 2019, 10:47:45 AM

What?

I was indeed, still only 4 points in it  :P

4 point hammering.  8)

tyrone08

Funny how people look at things differently.

I saw some postivites in the donegal game. Tyrone were awful and donegal were fantastic but tyrone managed to stay with donegal until near the end. Dont forget that Tyrone almost had a goal towards the end when Kennedy fired a shot just over the bar.

If being completely outclassed as you say while playing poor football and only losing by 4 points is a hammering then it's a strange world.

If tyrone played donegal again it may be a different outcome as there is no way tyrone would play that bad again.

larryin89

Tyrone probably the closest team to Dublin at this stage , might be as well off showing nothing in this game and hope Donegal knock a few lumps out of dubs in semi final .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

t_mac

Quote from: larryin89 on July 27, 2019, 10:57:36 AM
Tyrone probably the closest team to Dublin at this stage , might be as well off showing nothing in this game and hope Donegal knock a few lumps out of dubs in semi final .

Is that geographically speaking?

BennyHarp

Hopefully.....the difference between Tyrone this year and other years is that they have more variation to their game. In years gone by the Dubs had figured out our style and lapped it up. This year we can switch styles and, (again I say this with with more hope than confidence) this may be enough to catch Dublin....on a bad day. We can talk about tactics, style etc but let's be honest, whether it's Kerry, Donegal, Mayo or Tyrone we are all hoping to catch Dublin on an off day and hope everything goes to plan for ourselves. I'm hoping 5 years on the go with a possible build up of niggly injuries, the pressure of 5 in a row and the lack of a real backs to the wall challenges in over 2 years will be enough to create a scenario were the Dubs aren't just quite at their brilliant best.
That was never a square ball!!

larryin89

Quote from: t_mac on July 27, 2019, 11:01:19 AM
Quote from: larryin89 on July 27, 2019, 10:57:36 AM

Is that geographically speaking?

Haha . I suppose it's between themselves and Kerry , I look for individuals I think could cause Dublin problems , Mattie Donnelly and Macshane have the ability imo to rock the jacks defense. A team will also obviously have to have the genuine belief they can beat Dublin , Kerry have the upper hand here I believe . I spent a few days down in Killarney and spoke to a lot , they are not short on confidence.

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

imtommygunn

Donnelly is great for Tyrone generally but he seems to struggle against Dublin.

Dire Ear

I would like to see MDonnelly, PHarte and McShane all rested v the Dubs;  the result means nothing