Author Topic: split the dubs in 4  (Read 1714 times)

TheGreatest

• View Profile
Re: split the dubs in 4
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
how many new GAA clubs have been established in Dublin since 2001?
clubs are actually folding or amalgamating

The last big senior  club started in Dublin was Castleknock. 1998. There are smaller clubs formed in junior level like Ranelagh gaels i think founded around 2003.

There is a lot of amalgamting at underage level due to player numbers, nothing at adult level although there is talk of certain clubs coming together, our country cousins tend to keep clubs afloat at adult level.

TheGreatest

• View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2019, 01:31:55 PM »
Rovers play Bohs tonight, Derby game loads of interest....4 Inter-county teams in Dublin would similarly generate a lot of interest. County DLRD would be hated immediately by the other three counties.

Saw this on Wiki

Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown (Irish: Dún Laoghaire–Ráth an Dúin[2]) is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Dublin Region in the province of Leinster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BAn_Laoghaire%E2%80%93Rathdown

To the Dublin GAA community and hardcore support, there will only be one team, personally i would never support a Dublin regional team, if it was split id pack in the support, focus more on club.

TheGreatest

• View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2019, 01:35:56 PM »
Dublin I would say is one of the least supported county teams in Ireland.  36000 (assume 25000 Dublin supporters is less than 2% of the population of greater Dublin) for a Leinster semi final were most supporters can get walk, hop on a bus, the dart, luas to Croke Park is very low compared to say Leitrim bringing 10000 (1 in 3 people) to the division 4 league final.

This is also correct, there is a hardcore fooball support of about 15-25K, it varies, then you will have the selective match fan, then you have the event junkies.

Thats why when the Spawell stadium was in discussion, it was only a capicity of 25K.

magpie seanie

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
Rovers play Bohs tonight, Derby game loads of interest....4 Inter-county teams in Dublin would similarly generate a lot of interest. County DLRD would be hated immediately by the other three counties.

Saw this on Wiki

Dún Laoghaire–Rathdown (Irish: Dún Laoghaire–Ráth an Dúin[2]) is a county in Ireland. It is part of the Dublin Region in the province of Leinster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%BAn_Laoghaire%E2%80%93Rathdown

To the Dublin GAA community and hardcore support, there will only be one team, personally i would never support a Dublin regional team, if it was split id pack in the support, focus more on club.

I get that and it's how I'd feel if Sligo get amalgamated with some other collection of paupers to provide cannon fodder for the big teams but what happens when a lad you coach or know makes that team. Will you go then? It's difficult. The intercounty game though is only a representative level. It has outgrown it's initial aim and is cannabilising the association.