2019 All Ireland Football Qualifiers

Started by Don Draper, June 11, 2019, 02:38:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: Don Draper on June 21, 2019, 07:50:45 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 20, 2019, 11:34:58 PM
Whatever happens Laois will have to up the scoring to win 12 points won't do here , 2 evenly enough matched teams home advantage might swing it for Derry
TBF it will if Derry score 11.
12 would have got us to extra time nice win and a nice double header for next weekend
Well done to all involved a character building win

Tony

Fantastic win, credit to all involved! It should have been by more, we were about 8-10 points the better team overall. It's hard for anyone to go up to Ulster and get a win in championship but we did it. Derry looked good in championship games so far but we were much the better team. Only real criticism I'd have is not converting those chances more but it's good that we're creating them and going for it. Massive win, LAOIS ABU

Tony

High Fielder

Happy with the win, but happier to see the younger lads carrying us through. They bring a pace and urgency that can sometimes be lacking in our play. Today's scoreline in Croker should ensure our feet are planted because as I suspected, Meath are limited enough. Increasing the tempo has now got to be our main focus. Yesterday showed again that we can own the ball and get into positions. The scores will happen eventually but as long as we're in possession, we're doing the basics right. Meath knew that they could suck us in and destroy us for pace on the break. Speed going forward and back are equally important, and the younger lads give you that. We can carry the odd one paced player, but not half a team of them

GAA-SMART

Qualifier Draw:

Mayo V Armagh
Kildare V Tyrone
Westmeath V Clare
Laois V Offaly

BallyroanAbu

Better to be lucky than rich, that's a winnable draw.  Poor Kildare 😂😂😂

Helix.

Home draw ideal. The best scenario we could have hoped for. Will still be an obstacle to get over but should kick on from the Derry match! :)

GAA-SMART

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on June 24, 2019, 08:52:39 AM
Better to be lucky than rich, that's a winnable draw.  Poor Kildare 😂😂😂

Kildare will have a chance in Newbridge.

BallyroanAbu

I doubt it Tyrone we're back to basics at weekend running ball through the hands.  Mayo were all over the shop when Kildare beat them last year can't see Tyrone being caught like that.

Tony

While it is a good draw for us and we'd be favourites to go through, there hasn't been much between the sides (Laois and Offaly) in recent years. Offaly put up 3-17 against Sligo and had a very good showing against Meath. They are a fast team and have good scorers. It's certainly an excellent chance to get to 4th round but I hope all involved treat this match as seriously as playing a div 1 or 2 side. I believe they will. Laois by 3.

I can see Mayo, Tyrone and Westmeath getting out of the other matches but all matches are fairly even with Armagh and Kildare hopeful of upsets and wouldn't be surprised if that happens. Armagh in particular have improved greatly with a huge win over Monaghan under their belt. Kildare looked decent for some spells against Dublin - I wouldn't be surprised if they put it up to Tyrone in a close encounter in Newbridge. Intriguing draw, really.

Don Draper

Put a muzzle on Piggott immediately and start taunting him with Carrolls ham for the next 6 days.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Good draw for us, one we should win especially at home. If we could improve our scoring rate , win this one and draw Meath in the next round we would have a great chance of reaching the Super 8s for the first time..

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

blueandwhite1

Always going to have a chance against any division 3 or 4 side so it's a good draw. In fact, we tend to win games against teams ranked lower than us in the league fairly reliably.

The real test for Laois is always when we face a division 1 or 2 side. Our record against true 'top 16' sides in the last 10 years has been pretty poor.

The Boy Wonder

This is a dangerous banana skin for Laois.
NFL 16-March   Offaly 0-15  Laois 2-12
Since then Offaly have Niall McNamee back in their ranks.
They were very unlucky to lose some close games in the league which kept them out of the promotion hunt.
As they showed against Meath they are a very capable side.
The local derby factor also means that all previous form can go out the window.
Laois might be slight favourites but Offaly will throw the kitchen sink at us.