Cavan v Donegal Ulster Final

Started by mrdeeds, June 11, 2019, 02:34:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: ck on June 21, 2019, 11:25:42 AM
Yeah fair enough but Donegal were promoted and Cavan were relegated. They met in C'ship last year and it was a handy enough win for Donegal. It'll be same on Sunday.

Both teams have been very impressive so far in what's been a very good ulster championship. I can see this being close as Cavan have had 3 tough games under their belt and looked good in all of them. Donegal funnily enough weren't overly impressive against tyrone especially since tyrone were rotten and Donegal only won by 4. I think cavan could win this by 1 or 2.

Maroon Manc

Looking forward to the game and in particular how Cavan perform. Will that Donegal half backline start again? I'm only guessing but it seemed that it was picked to suit the way Tyrone were going to play.

Is Jason McGee fit for Donegal?

imtommygunn

I think Cavan will make a real go of this. Be interesting to see how they handle Murphy, especially from kick outs, as he destroyed Tyrone. If they can cut that avenue out they have a chance. I think graham might be, though could be wrong, quite shrewd so it will be interesting to see how or if he does this.

Denn Forever

Would putting pressure on the goalie at the kickouts pay any dividends?  Of coarse they could do the same.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Cunny Funt

Quote from: ck on June 21, 2019, 11:25:42 AM
Yeah fair enough but Donegal were promoted and Cavan were relegated. They met in C'ship last year and it was a handy enough win for Donegal. It'll be same on Sunday.

Cavan are now managed by Mickey Graham who has already pulled off an upset provincial title success. If Cavan were still managed by Mattie McGleenan they wouldn't be in final as Monaghan who went further in the championship than Donegal last summer probably would have beaten them.

Quote from: lenny on June 21, 2019, 11:34:56 AM
Donegal funnily enough weren't overly impressive against tyrone especially since tyrone were rotten and Donegal only won by 4. I think cavan could win this by 1 or 2.
Donegal impressed me a lot in that game. The 4 point margin didn't tell the full tale and Tyrone were made to look rotten.

cavanmaniac

Cavan being written off is music to Mickey Graham's ears. He appears for the most part to be a canny operator and will be more than happy in the long grass for this one. He'll have a plan worked out and the players well primed with maybe a surprise or two up his sleeve. I wouldn't stick my neck out enough to claim Cavan will win it but I'd at least go as far as to say that if Donegal are ahead at the final whistle they'll have been made work for it a bit more than some might think.

J70

Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 21, 2019, 05:52:44 PM
Cavan being written off is music to Mickey Graham's ears. He appears for the most part to be a canny operator and will be more than happy in the long grass for this one. He'll have a plan worked out and the players well primed with maybe a surprise or two up his sleeve. I wouldn't stick my neck out enough to claim Cavan will win it but I'd at least go as far as to say that if Donegal are ahead at the final whistle they'll have been made work for it a bit more than some might think.

Almost everyone is saying this will be tight with Donegal to shade it by a few points in the end.

That's hardly writing Cavan off.

FermGael

Donegal you have one job on Sunday.
Don't care how you do, don't care if it's the worst game of football in the history of football, just get the win.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

rodney trotter

No Fermanagh aren't involved, so unlikely to be the worst game in History.

Cavan can put it up to Donegal but might need a goal or 2. They didn't score any in 2 games v Armagh. Kicked lovely pts but not many goal chances created. At other end Armagh could have scored a few, so Jamie Brennan and Co will have to be watched..

cavanmaniac

Quote from: J70 on June 21, 2019, 06:19:34 PM
Quote from: cavanmaniac on June 21, 2019, 05:52:44 PM

Almost everyone is saying this will be tight with Donegal to shade it by a few points in the end.

That's hardly writing Cavan off.

I meant more the view from outside both counties, Donegal big favourites and attention mostly on them. Sure I know you Donegal bucks be fierce wily in general.  :)

Itchy

Quote from: FermGael on June 21, 2019, 06:51:31 PM
Don't care how you do, don't care if it's the worst game of football in the history of football, just get the win.

So bitter, Listen we let ye beat us eventually in championship after 100 years there recently and we thought that would keep ye happy but Christ no it wont. What more do ye want.

ck

It's funny to note Donegal people talking up Cavan. Says it all really. The reality is that Donegal will win this at their ease. Cavan will enjoy their big day out. Bookies have Donegal raging favs too. Rarely wrong.

FermGael

Quote from: Itchy on June 22, 2019, 08:50:55 AM
Quote from: FermGael on June 21, 2019, 06:51:31 PM

So bitter, Listen we let ye beat us eventually in championship after 100 years there recently and we thought that would keep ye happy but Christ no it wont. What more do ye want.

Declan Bogue hits the nail on the head

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/columnists/declan-bogue/declan-bogue-the-rough-guide-to-cavan-and-ulster-final-day-38232226.html 

rodney trotter

Copy and paste that on here.. You need to register with Belfast Telegraph to read it all...

FermGael

Declan Bogue: The rough guide to Cavan and Ulster final day

By Declan Bogue

Styles may have changed since 2001, but turn up in this natty number on Sunday to see a few heads turn
People of Cavan, do not panic - even if it is 18 years since your more flaky supporters were at a county match, the 2001 Ulster final loss to Tyrone. No doubt they are absolutely deserving of a ticket for this Sunday's provincial decider against Donegal.

We suspect that you are salt of the earth types who hold the GAA together at a local level. Maybe you felt pushed out by ticket prices and the 'disconnect' with the big-wigs in Croke Park.

Either way, here you are back in your numbers to shout and bellow and roar for Cavan and, if things aren't going your way in the closing stages, make a big show of leaving early.

As reward for your ultimate sacrifice this Sunday, we present you with 'The rough guide to Ulster final day'.

Dress code

Cavan wear blue, okay? There should be something you could dig out to match your team. Given how Cavan is renowned for its chic gentlemen and glamorous ladies, there is little chance you might pull a little gold and green number out of the wardrobe and inadvertently end up lending your support to Donegal.

DO: Try and source a 1991 edition jersey with the 'Cavan Co-Op Mart' sponsor. Achingly hipster.

DON'T: See that bootcut jeans and brown boots look? Aye, that? It's over, man. And it's not coming back unless Paul Galvin says so and Dunnes Stores start stocking it.

Decorum

When it comes to Donegal, this is their eighth Ulster final in nine years. These people know the drill. Just follow their lead.

They are also a peace-loving crew, calmed by their proximity to the coast. Not like you people, who are permanently jumpy through your proximity to, well, Monaghan.

Finally, there will be a man playing a selection of Donegal ditties on his bagpipes. He will finish them with a cheer of 'Up Donegal!' This is Christy Murray of Raphoe. He's harmless.

DO: Ingratiate yourself to Donegal people by sharing congratulatory tales of how you both left the dark days of defensive football behind.

DON'T: Tell Christy Murray where you would relocate his bagpipes.

Travel plans

Most of you will go by 'The Concession Road', also known as 'The Broad Road'. The cute ones - and who from Cavan doesn't like getting called 'sly' as a compliment? - will go by Scotshouse and mingle behind enemy lines in Connolly's pub.

You're at nothing if you are not vomiting out of a mini-bus or van at the bottom of Fermanagh Street with empty bottles rolling out onto the street heralding your arrival.

But if you insist on driving, then a number of freshly-ploughed fields on the outskirts of town will offer to berth your car (they may call it a 'yoke') for €5 or €10, depending on how dumb you look.

DO: Tell everyone within earshot that you parked just at the entrance of the Gerry Arthurs Stand to win adulation.

DON'T: Tell one of the lads at the gates of the field 'See you next week' as you walk past, wallet intact.

Things to see and do:

Local attractions

For a small market town, Clones is dripping with history and attractions.

Get up to Matt Fitzpatrick Square and learn all about the infamous affray there back in the day. Retrace all the familiar spots featured in Pat McCabe's literary masterpiece 'The Butcher Boy'. The Canal Stores are just out the road to Cavan, you have the burial crypt of the McMahon chieftains, and the Hilton Park Garden.

Those seeking more sporting scenes can recline in Barry McGuigan Park, which could be busy with a squad of lads from Letterkenny praising the merits of 'diffin' and back-wheel drive systems.

MUST SEE: As a study of sporting schadenfreude, local soccer team Clones Town play at 'John Delaney Park'.

ALTHOUGH: You're at an Ulster final like. Grab a Bulmers.

Cuisine

Of course, Clones is a renowned foodie heaven with street food concession carts aplenty. Thing is, that street food is specifically Clones street food and the variety comes in whether you want fried onions on your burger or not.

For those of you looking for refinement you can dig into the á la carte menu in The Cuil Darach just before you climb the hill to the famous old sports ground.

Not far from it, the Creighton Hotel has upped its game in the last few years, though it fights a constant battle trying to strike the right tone with a banner proclaiming 'Clones Town welcomes your old punts' on it's railings.

DO: Go for the onions. The heartburn will be murder, but it's totally worth it.

DON'T: Reduce yourself to eating sandwiches out of the boot along the ditch. Live a little.

Seating

Once upon a time, supporters could access a back field just above the hill in Clones. While the pitch was miles away, the price was for nothing - save the laundry bill if you stepped into a fresh cow pat. One wit renamed this field 'The Breffni Stand'.

Happy journeys to all