Beirut explosion

Started by Eamonnca1, August 05, 2020, 12:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Dear god I hope this was an accident. So far the death toll is at least 78 but I'll be surprised if it's not in the hundreds. They say it was a couple of hundred tonnes of ammonium nitrate going up. I remember the damage that a 1.5 tonne fertilizer bomb would do during the Troubles and thinking that was big.

armaghniac

The Forensic Science laboratory in Newtownbreda, where Tesco is now, was one of the biggest, probably about 1.5 tonnes. That caused enormous damage around the dual carriageway there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GetOverTheBar

The whole area was levelled, some of the before and after pics are scary.

johnnycool

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 05, 2020, 09:06:31 AM
The whole area was levelled, some of the before and after pics are scary.

There's a picture somewhere of the port area and there's still part of a grain silo still standing. It probably saved a whole lot more lives by deflecting the blast out to sea.

The footage of the blast is unreal.

shark

Lebanon has already been suffering so badly this year with their banks on the brink of collapse, hyperinflation on the Lebanese Lira, and USD flowing out of the country. They need help so badly now. But it's very difficult to help Lebanon when one has to deal with such a fractured and corrupt political system.

GetOverTheBar

You would be doing well to get the Isrealis to agree to any help into them anyway.

Franko

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 05, 2020, 12:38:59 AM
Dear god I hope this was an accident. So far the death toll is at least 78 but I'll be surprised if it's not in the hundreds. They say it was a couple of hundred tonnes of ammonium nitrate going up. I remember the damage that a 1.5 tonne fertilizer bomb would do during the Troubles and thinking that was big.

Think it was more like a couple of thousand tonnes - which is insane.

MoChara

First thought is a Hezbollah munitions dump hit by Israelis of the back of last week.

I seen someone say on reddit it was the equivalent of 2750 tonnes of Ammonium Nitrate but don't know how they verify that figure
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/i3zhjx/the_oklahoma_city_bombing_top_picture_was_about/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

GetOverTheBar

The Manchester Bombing by the IRA was roughly half the size of this explosion, if the 2750kg figure is accurate. Obviously without knowing the exact ins and outs of bomb making, I think it was the same stuff....created the same mushroom cloud etc.

Aughafad

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 05, 2020, 02:34:33 PM
The Manchester Bombing by the IRA was roughly half the size of this explosion, if the 2750kg figure is accurate. Obviously without knowing the exact ins and outs of bomb making, I think it was the same stuff....created the same mushroom cloud etc.

Its reportedly 2750 tonnes or 279000kg not 2750kg which would make it roughly 200 times larger than the manchester bomb

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Aughafad on August 05, 2020, 05:19:23 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on August 05, 2020, 02:34:33 PM

Its reportedly 2750 tonnes or 279000kg not 2750kg which would make it roughly 200 times larger than the manchester bomb

It was the calculator, must have hit the wrong button  :-X