Author Topic: Football qualifier route 2019  (Read 31916 times)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
Re: Football qualifier route 2019
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2019, 08:02:20 PM »
Weíll see how he feels when he tries to get his players to buy into it and boys are being lifted off the road and handed jerseys.

We won one. Nobody cared. So much so it was scrapped.

We have been here. It failed.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 12, 2019, 08:07:15 PM »
We (Mayo) won the Nicky Rackhard a few years ago. The Cup was in a Hurling development coaches boot who was at our club. I asked if I could get a photo taken with the young lad holding it. There were a lot of parents with their children there. Nobody else availed of the photo opportunity.

Moral of the story. Tiered competitions mean nothing to the general public!

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 12, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »
Stop talking perfect sense, youse boys.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 12, 2019, 08:42:31 PM »
Weíll see how he feels when he tries to get his players to buy into it and boys are being lifted off the road and handed jerseys.

Nobody cares about youse at the minute. Canít be any worse. Antrim will get humped by Kildare. And no one will care. Thatís without tiers.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 12, 2019, 08:53:51 PM »
We (Mayo) won the Nicky Rackhard a few years ago. The Cup was in a Hurling development coaches boot who was at our club. I asked if I could get a photo taken with the young lad holding it. There were a lot of parents with their children there. Nobody else availed of the photo opportunity.

Thatís strange because before hurling became tiered hurling was huge in mayo. Massive crowds at all their games and great interest. The tiering ruined it.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #200 on: June 12, 2019, 08:54:54 PM »
Ahhh Bunker remember the good old days when Ros played Rhubarbs in the Connacht SHC and the crowds were massive?
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Clinker

• View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 12, 2019, 09:02:52 PM »
Any other All Ticket games at this stage of the competition this year?
Well done Antrim and Kildare.

there should be a special place in hell for those

And a much deserved one for all you begrudgers.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 12, 2019, 09:21:22 PM »

Thatís strange because before hurling became tiered hurling was huge in mayo. Massive crowds at all their games and great interest. The tiering ruined it.

But you all said that tiering would generate interest? Where there is no interest?

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 12, 2019, 09:54:13 PM »

Well, John Wayne mentioned it in the Quiet Man.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 12, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »

It wouldnít be the same thing though. It would have to be across the board rather than division four only. The tommy Murphy Cup was a token gesture thing (and I was happy we won it and pretty pissed off when we lost it to a last minute goal.)

Realistically interest in our own county, and itís the same in many other lower tier counties, is really waning. Something needs done.

lenny

• View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 13, 2019, 06:57:37 AM »

But you all said that tiering would generate interest? Where there is no interest?

Thatís not true. The argument for tiers is more for players and coaches to give them something where they have a realistic chance of making progress and even winning. People on here have argued against it by comparing it to hurling and saying that in the smaller hurling counties interest has disappeared. That argument is complete rubbish because most smaller hurling counties never had any interest in the first place. I would argue that the interest level in hurling counties has more or less stayed the same or thereís beena slight increase since the tiers were introduced. I would expect the same for football.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 07:33:06 AM by lenny »

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 13, 2019, 08:28:15 AM »
Ahhh Bunker remember the good old days when Ros played Rhubarbs in the Connacht SHC and the crowds were massive?

They were so big, people stopped turning up altogether given the cars were parked at Tulsk for games at the Hyde, Ballyvary and Pontoon for games at McHale and Dromore West and Tubbercurry for Markievicz.  ;)
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 13, 2019, 08:54:48 AM »

Thatís not true. The argument for tiers is more for players and coaches to give them something where they have a realistic chance of making progress and even winning. People on here have argued against it by comparing it to hurling and saying that in the smaller hurling counties interest has disappeared. That argument is complete rubbish because most smaller hurling counties never had any interest in the first place. I would argue that the interest level in hurling counties has more or less stayed the same or thereís beena slight increase since the tiers were introduced. I would expect the same for football.

Hurling in Tyrone has increased. I think there's 5 new hurling clubs. But that doesn't suit the narrative here.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 13, 2019, 09:08:16 AM »
Some Tyrone teams starting to do well in the antrim league now too. I could see at some point a division 1 team but maybe not for a couple of years yet.

Lenny the westmeaths and carlows (I would follow their tier more closely with antrim being in it) have definitely really upped their game with the new tiering. I can't answer for some of the lower tiers. Derry should be much better than they are at the hurling but county board don't pay much heed to it.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 13, 2019, 09:33:28 AM »
Some Tyrone teams starting to do well in the antrim league now too. I could see at some point a division 1 team but maybe not for a couple of years yet.

Lenny the westmeaths and carlows (I would follow their tier more closely with antrim being in it) have definitely really upped their game with the new tiering. I can't answer for some of the lower tiers. Derry should be much better than they are at the hurling but county board don't pay much heed to it.
What do you base this on? I'm not a huge hurling man but thought that being competitive in Christy Ring is about our level. Not sure we have the hurlers to compete with 2nd Tier teams at the moment.