Leinster Minor Hurling 2019

Started by burdizzo, April 24, 2019, 04:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Mentor

Quote from: Zooming around on August 20, 2019, 05:11:56 PM
Quote from: merman on August 20, 2019, 04:05:17 PM
Quote from: Zooming around on August 20, 2019, 03:18:16 PM
Has the 2020 Laois Minor Hurling Management been finalised yet?

Few details to be ironed out but I think it best to not to speculate until anything is confirmed.

It's a very important appointment and i hope our hapless board get it right. Knowing them they'll probably appoint Eamon Kelly.
I presume it would be between Enda Lyons who has been manager for the last two years, or the current u16 management team of Liam Dunne, Tim Fahy and Ollie Quinlan. 

blueandwhite1

By all accounts Enda Lyons seemed to run a professional show last year.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on August 20, 2019, 10:18:13 PM
By all accounts Enda Lyons seemed to run a professional show last year.

By all accounts he will have competition from the group named above, and possibly others!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Ogie

In my opinion Enda Lyons & team should be givin another year, ( I believe he has a three year term anyway ), a modern forward thinking coach & well organized manager, has improved the standard well & should not be pushed out when our best crop for a few years are now coming through

The other three named above are all parents, who were with the team up along but would not be good for Laois hurling, they are making a push for the job bringing a 'celebrity coach' on their ticket for a few guest appearance sessions I believe

Giovanni

I also think Enda Lyons did extremely well over the two years (possibly with the exception of the Wexford match last year when the matchups were a bit off I think). Genrally, his teams seem to have a good organisation and workrate and you can't ask for much more from a coach.

Spiritof1915

I have a friend with a young chap on this panel and heard great things about this team. I went along last Saturday to have a look at a practice game in the training centre against a Cork selection. The first thing that struck me was that Laois had 3 subs, while Cork had a full panel of over 30 players most of which got game time.
I was informed that this particular group have not had trials since u14 level which seems extraordinary considering how players devolp from year to year. A lot of players possibly falling under the radar, in addition to the benefits of 15 on 15 training sessions. I'm a firm believer that no parent should be involved with a county set up  as it totally compromises the job. Im familiar with kilkenny set ups and its a strict requirement to have quality independent coaches with no family attachments in their devolpment squads.
Ps cork hammered laois for the record which is worrying. Hopefully a quality coach and selectors can be chosen for this highly talented group with no family or club loyalties.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on August 21, 2019, 12:27:40 PM
I have a friend with a young chap on this panel and heard great things about this team. I went along last Saturday to have a look at a practice game in the training centre against a Cork selection. The first thing that struck me was that Laois had 3 subs, while Cork had a full panel of over 30 players most of which got game time.
I was informed that this particular group have not had trials since u14 level which seems extraordinary considering how players devolp from year to year. A lot of players possibly falling under the radar, in addition to the benefits of 15 on 15 training sessions. I'm a firm believer that no parent should be involved with a county set up  as it totally compromises the job. Im familiar with kilkenny set ups and its a strict requirement to have quality independent coaches with no family attachments in their devolpment squads.
Ps cork hammered laois for the record which is worrying. Hopefully a quality coach and selectors can be chosen for this highly talented group with no family or club loyalties.

Unfortunately what you say is well known. The lack of trials is an ongoing disgrace. A very closed shop where in reality next year's minor team is already picked if they get the job.

Zooming around

Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 21, 2019, 05:27:00 PM

Unfortunately what you say is well known. The lack of trials is an ongoing disgrace. A very closed shop where in reality next year's minor team is already picked if they get the job.

I'd be pretty sure if a lad was playing well with his club, these mentors would be the first to know about it and bring him in.

The group seem to  have gone back a good bit since their U14 days where they were unlucky not to win out the Forristal. I know David Dooley is now concentrating on rugby and a few lads have opted out to go play football but there seems to be an alarming drop in standards. What happened? Is it coaching? Is it management? Is it the football management telling the players they cant play both? Is it clubs not supporting the county? What is it?

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Zooming around on August 21, 2019, 05:41:31 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on August 21, 2019, 05:27:00 PM

I'd be pretty sure if a lad was playing well with his club, these mentors would be the first to know about it and bring him in.

The group seem to  have gone back a good bit since their U14 days where they were unlucky not to win out the Forristal. I know David Dooley is now concentrating on rugby and a few lads have opted out to go play football but there seems to be an alarming drop in standards. What happened? Is it coaching? Is it management? Is it the football management telling the players they cant play both? Is it clubs not supporting the county? What is it?

I'd question how they would find out a lad was going well? Unless he went well against one of their own clubs, where you will probably find them on the sideline when games at that age grade are being played.
Shouldn't automatically rule them out, but I'd seriously question any move to appoint them.

Blow-in

By all accounts former Laois staff member Ciaran Muldooley has his name in the hat and is rivaled by Liam Dunne.

Keyser Söze

So is that 3 different management teams?
1. Lyons & co
2. Dunne & co.
3. Muldowney & .....

Spiritof1915

Well from what I can gather, is that the management team opted to enter one team only in the tony Forristal (albeit with fantastic results) when this group where u14. This went against the grain of every other year when Laois sent 2 teams. I think the majority of the problem is that other chaps not involved in the click have no interest or desire to be ask in to make up the numbers in what essentially is a closed shop.

The fact that the panel has never had trials and are handpicked by the selectors in the intervening years is unbelievable. The mentors who call the shots are involved with their club teams so they never get to view other games independently.
I again reiterate the fact that Laois had only three subs last Saturday a week or two out from their important end of season tournament. Is their any other development panel in the country managed in this way. I believe that one chap playing corner forward is a back and has been playing in that position since he was small. No surprise when I heard he was from one of the selectors club.

Zooming around

Quote from: Batman!!! on August 21, 2019, 06:16:11 PM
By all accounts former Laois staff member Ciaran Muldooley has his name in the hat and is rivaled by Liam Dunne.

I got a bit of a shock when i read this last night so I texted Ciaran. He replied saying six lads had text him the same question yesterday evening. He knows nothing about it. Nobody has approached him, he hasn't applied and he won't be doing it.

I'd say it's a case of "Holy Shit Stirring" by Batman

clonadmad

Quote from: Spiritof1915 on August 21, 2019, 08:48:20 PM
Well from what I can gather, is that the management team opted to enter one team only in the tony Forristal (albeit with fantastic results) when this group where u14. This went against the grain of every other year when Laois sent 2 teams. I think the majority of the problem is that other chaps not involved in the click have no interest or desire to be ask in to make up the numbers in what essentially is a closed shop.

The fact that the panel has never had trials and are handpicked by the selectors in the intervening years is unbelievable. The mentors who call the shots are involved with their club teams so they never get to view other games independently.
I again reiterate the fact that Laois had only three subs last Saturday a week or two out from their important end of season tournament. Is their any other development panel in the country managed in this way. I believe that one chap playing corner forward is a back and has been playing in that position since he was small. No surprise when I heard he was from one of the selectors club.

Ditto with this years u16 team

We had 2/3 lads who we thought might be worthy of consideration,only to be told that it was a closed shop also,there's been no trials for this group also since u14.

Unbelievable carry on

Also the 2 u15 teams were cut to 1 this year.

Zooming around

Quote from: clonadmad on August 22, 2019, 10:16:44 AM
Quote from: Spiritof1915 on August 21, 2019, 08:48:20 PM

Ditto with this years u16 team

We had 2/3 lads who we thought might be worthy of consideration,only to be told that it was a closed shop also,there's been no trials for this group also since u14.

Unbelievable carry on

Also the 2 u15 teams were cut to 1 this year.

The cutting of the U15 group to one panel was a very bad move.

Were you seriously told "it's a closed shop"?