Author Topic: Elections North and South  (Read 32893 times)

GJL

• View Profile
Re: Elections North and South
« Reply #285 on: May 22, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
When you vote Tomorrow in the North there is only 1 Pro European Nationalist candidate on the ballot. Always was Pro European and always campaigned positively for Europe. And most importantly campaigned for a Remain vote in the Brexit referendum. Only 1 on the ballot. If you're a pro European Nationalist then Colum Eastwood should get your 1st preference.

It's only in recent years the SDLP have started playing the nationalist card and that will stick in the craw for some of us.

They'll still get on my ballot paper, but they've a bit of work to do to build on those nationalist credentials a bit more yet.

Far too quick to lie down to big house Unionism in the past.
Too insignificant in recent years to matter.

When was this? At the birth of the Civil rights? When they campaigned for equality and the right to vote long before it became trendy? When they reached out to the IRA and convinced it's leadership of the benefits of a ceasefire or maybe when they helped to bring an end to 30 years of violence when they negotiated the GFA?

They're the only Nationalist Party on the Ballot who have been consistent in their Pro-European credentials. They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.

Seamus Mallon last week:

''I have come increasingly to the view that the Good Friday Agreement measurement of a bare majority (effectively 50%+1) for unity will not give us the kind of agreed and peaceful Ireland we seek.''

This is the GFA that he helped write...

smelmoth

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 22, 2019, 12:14:44 PM »
Given that an MEP will do zero to advance the case of Nationalism or Unionism does anyone want to make the case why there 1st preference will be the top performer in the role if elected?

naka

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 22, 2019, 12:26:33 PM »
When you vote Tomorrow in the North there is only 1 Pro European Nationalist candidate on the ballot. Always was Pro European and always campaigned positively for Europe. And most importantly campaigned for a Remain vote in the Brexit referendum. Only 1 on the ballot. If you're a pro European Nationalist then Colum Eastwood should get your 1st preference.

It's only in recent years the SDLP have started playing the nationalist card and that will stick in the craw for some of us.

They'll still get on my ballot paper, but they've a bit of work to do to build on those nationalist credentials a bit more yet.

When was this? At the birth of the Civil rights? When they campaigned for equality and the right to vote long before it became trendy? When they reached out to the IRA and convinced it's leadership of the benefits of a ceasefire or maybe when they helped to bring an end to 30 years of violence when they negotiated the GFA?

They're the only Nationalist Party on the Ballot who have been consistent in their Pro-European credentials. They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.

Seamus Mallon last week:

''I have come increasingly to the view that the Good Friday Agreement measurement of a bare majority (effectively 50%+1) for unity will not give us the kind of agreed and peaceful Ireland we seek.''

tbf GJL  the gfa is the best deal that could be cobbled together but as a community we are as divided as ever so i think its fair to say that the minimum majority for a UI will not give us a settled peace. i dont think he is saying anything that the vast majority of us realise.
for me 50% plus 1 woeks but i am not naive to realise the shit storm it will unfurl.

JPGJOHNNYG

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 22, 2019, 12:45:22 PM »

Seamus Mallon last week:

tbf GJL  the gfa is the best deal that could be cobbled together but as a community we are as divided as ever so i think its fair to say that the minimum majority for a UI will not give us a settled peace. i dont think he is saying anything that the vast majority of us realise.
for me 50% plus 1 woeks but i am not naive to realise the shit storm it will unfurl.

Agreed.
It will be 50% + 1
Something like a 60% in favour would be great but realistically nationalists are not going to wait another generation to get there.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 22, 2019, 12:45:43 PM »

Seamus Mallon last week:

Yes and SF signed up to it! If you think 50+1 will give us a peaceful United Ireland then you are delusional. Mallon is correct.

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 22, 2019, 12:50:12 PM »
Given that an MEP will do zero to advance the case of Nationalism or Unionism does anyone want to make the case why there 1st preference will be the top performer in the role if elected?
@DaireHughesSF has just tweeted a good summary of why Anderson should be 1st preference. Outperforms DUP/UUP combined over the last 5 years

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 22, 2019, 12:51:46 PM »

SDLP are part of PES who have been vocal on a range of issues but importantly, migrant issues and workers rights. They also fully believe in the European project.
Others sit with Marxists and Communists. That's for them to explain.

smelmoth

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 22, 2019, 01:42:44 PM »
@DaireHughesSF has just tweeted a good summary of why Anderson should be 1st preference. Outperforms DUP/UUP combined over the last 5 years

That tells us one thing. She turns up more often than Jim Nicholson or Diane Dodds. But I guess most people here are not considering voting for them or their parties. What is she actually doing and what effect does have? Her contributions to debates are weak just judging by the written record but when you add in the context of the dead of night to an empty hall and nobody engaging with her you realise how little she actually achieves
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 01:54:24 PM by smelmoth »

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 22, 2019, 01:46:50 PM »
I was in Strasbourg a couple of years ago. Contacted Anderson, Nicholson & Dodds about seeing the parliament - number of responses = zilch. Needless to say I won't be arsed going out tomorrow, if that's their attitude.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 22, 2019, 01:53:00 PM »
I was in Strasbourg a couple of years ago. Contacted Anderson, Nicholson & Dodds about seeing the parliament - number of responses = zilch. Needless to say I won't be arsed going out tomorrow, if that's their attitude.

I honestly didn't know they were tour guides as well.

smelmoth

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 22, 2019, 01:53:08 PM »

SDLP are part of PES who have been vocal on a range of issues but importantly, migrant issues and workers rights. They also fully believe in the European project.
Others sit with Marxists and Communists. That's for them to explain.

All accepted and Colum could hold his own. Don’t think he is in Long’s league plus Alliance’s group whilst smaller is the power broker in the current parliament under Verhofstadt (that could change) and the Uk representation of that group is likely to increase with the remain vote going to Lib Dems. We need our voice inside that group

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 22, 2019, 02:01:37 PM »
Jim only has time to clock in before nipping back to the airport.

APM

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 22, 2019, 02:22:03 PM »

If you do not feel that you are being properly represented you should vote for an alternative. The answer is never to opt out. This election will be interpreted as an endorsement or rejection of the referendum result.  Therefore, if you favour remain, you should vote for remain candidates who you can support.  There is a lot wrong with Europe, including the performance of elected representatives, but has there been a more important EU election here?  Since the referendum we have been represented 2 to 1 by Brexit supporting MEPs. Representation in Westminster for the north has been 10 to 1 for Brexit.  Neither situation reflects the views of the people as expressed in the Brexit referendum.  A vote for two Brexit supporting MEPs tomorrow will be seen as an endorsement of the leave vote and will be interpreted as a majority in NI for leave (however wrongly) and used accordingly.

GJL

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 22, 2019, 02:29:34 PM »

Seamus Mallon last week:

Yes and SF signed up to it! If you think 50+1 will give us a peaceful United Ireland then you are delusional. Mallon is correct.

I'm not disputing that. I am however calling bullsh1t on your claim that..

''They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.''

Mallon has clearly changed his view in this instance.

smelmoth

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 22, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »

Seamus Mallon last week:

I'm not disputing that. I am however calling bullsh1t on your claim that..

''They don't change their view depending upon what others are for or against.''

Mallon has clearly changed his view in this instance.

I always thought that 50%+1 wouldn’t be a smooth transition. I am increasingly of that view. Have I clearly changed my mind?

Your example is shockingly poorly thought out