Polish Gaelic Football Team

Started by Phollain_Og, May 18, 2007, 05:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

This will open up a whole new world of abusive terms in a foreign language. Must learn the following in Polish!

"Bend your back for f*cks sake!"
"Good man yourself, thats all you're good for."
"Take him off ta f*ck!"
"Two hands for jaysus sake!"
"You might as well put on a jersey ref."
"Don't mind him, if he was any use he'd be playing."
To Ref: "So we're allowed do that now are we? Right so."
"You're standing on my toes."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gnevin

How did you damn culchies turn this into a abuse the Dubs thread .! ;D
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Jinxy

Most threads can be shunted in that direction using a bit of imagination.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

corn02

I know its not much use to yourself, but the Ulster Council recently ran a blitz for foreign nationals, I think Diarmuid Mardsen was behind it and was a major success. Shows how interesting the GAA is and how popular is it becoming amongst those who travel to our islands.

The Real Laoislad

I live in Lucan and it's great seeing Asian/Afrian/Eastern European kids go to school every morning with Hurls
The little fella next door to me who Polish is on the U/10 Gaelic Football team and is always out on the road in his school gaa  jersey playing Gaelic or Hurling,Im trying to convince him that Laois are the team to follow he's having none of it though!! :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Fishead_Sam

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 18, 2007, 04:31:41 PM
I live in Lucan and it's great seeing Asian/Afrian/Eastern European kids go to school every morning with Hurls
The little fella next door to me who Polish is on the U/10 Gaelic Football team and is always out on the road in his school gaa  jersey playing Gaelic or Hurling,Im trying to convince him that Laois are the team to follow he's having none of it though!! :D

Quite common to see young Asian lads around Ballyhaunis in East Mayo with hurleys, its in the Ballyhaunis-Toreen Hurling Pocket of Mayo, it has a Hal-Al & Mosque for the last 20-30 years, so these lads are all at least 2'nd generation, a mate from Roscommon told me he went into the chipper in Ballyhaunis and their was a lad with a Mayo jersey, thick Mayo accent and a hurley asking for more vinegar("Ven-a-Gurr") on his chips, he was saying the country defo changed alot.

Star Spangler

QuoteIm trying to convince him that Laois are the team to follow he's having none of it though

Knows his football so.  :P

darbyo

To take the topic off in a slightly different direction, Phollain Og have you any advice on how GAA clubs might be able to encourage more lads like yourself to try Gaelic football/Hurling. One of the lads mentioned the 'Have a go' initiative in Ulster but are there things a local club anywhere in the country might do to get guys to try out the games, or channels a club could go through that the message would get out to most of the immigrant community.
                     It would be interesting to here about your experiences in this regard, I'm involved in coaching myself I would be delighted to put forward any good initiatives in my locality that could increase the playing numbers of immigrants living here.  

oakleafer

Quotebut it should be gas craic anyway

I see you're not having any trouble picking up the lingo anyway! Good Luck to you!

thejuice

Quote from: darbyo on May 18, 2007, 04:54:16 PM
To take the topic off in a slightly different direction, Phollain Og have you any advice on how GAA clubs might be able to encourage more lads like yourself to try Gaelic football/Hurling. One of the lads mentioned the 'Have a go' initiative in Ulster but are there things a local club anywhere in the country might do to get guys to try out the games, or channels a club could go through that the message would get out to most of the immigrant community.
                     It would be interesting to here about your experiences in this regard, I'm involved in coaching myself I would be delighted to put forward any good initiatives in my locality that could increase the playing numbers of immigrants living here.  

I suppose using  multi-lingual posters and if its possible have pictures of people from non-irish backgrounds playing the game. Its great to hear these things happening. Best of luck to Phollain Og in his endevours.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

darbyo

I think you're right there juice but I'd say that's a bit adhoc what I mean is there community leaders within immigrant communities that clubs could go to knowing that he/she would have the wherewithall to get the message out to most of the community. I feel that the inactivity of lots of GAA clubs in this regard means that lots of potential players/supporters are being lost.

If I was living in Poland and my Polish wasn't good I might'nt be too pushed about trying to join a local soccer team especially since I probably wouldn't be too familiar with the type of club it would be i.e is it full of skangers or what quality of player they want. But if a local soccer team sought me and my fellow Irish immigrants out and encouraged us to join, had an open day where we could get information about the club etc. I think we would jump at the chance. Playing sport gives people an enjoyable outlet in their daily lives and helps break the drudgery of work, TV and bed. I would think that many in the immigrant community would love the chance to get out and play a match in the evenings and what better way for them to meet Irish people who could make their lives here easier and more enjoyable.
           I know it is different for them trying to play sports which they have no experience of but if we can get their kids playing in the schools and make the parents aware of the importance of the GAA in their local communities then I feel we have a much better chance of retaining the kids loyalty when they start choosing their main sports at 15/16. And like I say what better way for Polish lads to make friends, work contacts etc. in their localities than joining the local GAA club.

Fishead_Sam

Phollain_Og

Hows the football coming along?

na cleirigh

lithuanian fella plays for us in dungannon. about 20 or so. not an ounce of football in him but never misses a training! good to see it. a few portuguese in the u10s/12s as well.
If you have nothing nice to type, type it anyway but be prepared for the on slaught

In the Onion Bag

Don't do it Phollain_Og.  Join a club in Meath or Wicklow otherwise you will create a dangerous new breed the "Cheeky Polish Dubs"

Nothing racist intended here I hope u understand.  Its Gr8 to see our new arrivals taking interest in our National Games.

thebandit

Last night my club had an Aussie and an American on the bench for our Senior team