Author Topic: Kilkenny  (Read 51419 times)

johnnycool

• View Profile
Re: Kilkenny
« Reply #270 on: January 20, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »
Fennelly still has a lot to offer. I dunno if I've ever seen anyone as strong play the game. Some of those goals he was getting for Ballyhale last year he was brushing aside big big men like they were wee kids.

I have read there are some not happy with Cody(players). Hard to know whether just internet rumour though.

DJ also left the coaching set up after one year which normally doesn't happen in Kilkenny, maybe reading too much into that, but as said before I think Kilkenny are struggling with how hurling has evolved both sides of the white line.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 20, 2021, 04:54:37 PM »
Fennelly still has a lot to offer. I dunno if I've ever seen anyone as strong play the game. Some of those goals he was getting for Ballyhale last year he was brushing aside big big men like they were wee kids.

I have read there are some not happy with Cody(players). Hard to know whether just internet rumour though.

DJ also left the coaching set up after one year which normally doesn't happen in Kilkenny, maybe reading too much into that, but as said before I think Kilkenny are struggling with how hurling has evolved both sides of the white line.

Though the club teams (Ballyhale) still dominate, they need to find the right blend that sticks to the the Kilkenny way and bring it to the Limerick level also.. Very hard to do, as this is a work in motion for Limerick which will get better, and a change of styles for Kilkenny, should they try and adopt. 

They won't be out of it too long though, still Leinster champions!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 20, 2021, 05:43:42 PM »

Though the club teams (Ballyhale) still dominate, they need to find the right blend that sticks to the the Kilkenny way and bring it to the Limerick level also.. Very hard to do, as this is a work in motion for Limerick which will get better, and a change of styles for Kilkenny, should they try and adopt. 

Explain this.

I here statements like this all the time e.g. the Down way, the Liverpool way but wtf does it mean.

It means nothing really.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 20, 2021, 06:30:41 PM »

Bally hale have tj Reid, the fennellyís, Cody, that other wee half forward whoís name I canít remember and Holden at the back too. They are pretty much half a county team then some Reid brothers etc thrown in. I think itís just an exceptional club team so not even sure it means that much on the standard of kk hurling.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 20, 2021, 07:12:15 PM »

Explain this.

I here statements like this all the time e.g. the Down way, the Liverpool way but wtf does it mean.

It means nothing really.

Teams have traditional styles, Cork used to have the running game with the OíConnors
Waterford had the individual styles of McGrath and co.
Clare team of the 90ís had robustness with Daly Baker and co
Galway dog the 80ís had the flamboyant halfback lines Finitery and co but the toughness of Lynskey
Kilkenny have Cody, he has not changed his style since starting, big physical players in most positions and marquee forwards, DJ, Shefflin, Hogan and TJ, never played a system and cleared defence with ball raining down on the forwards and they fought and win their own balls..

Obviously these styles change with managers but Codyís been there so long that it will take time to change.

Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 20, 2021, 07:29:46 PM »

Bally hale have tj Reid, the fennellyís, Cody, that other wee half forward whoís name I canít remember and Holden at the back too. They are pretty much half a county team then some Reid brothers etc thrown in. I think itís just an exceptional club team so not even sure it means that much on the standard of kk hurling.

They have a great team but during the season they get tough games, the Village should have beaten them last year if memory serves me right, Cheddar had them going well, thatís two top notch teams, then you have the rest!