Author Topic: Serious financial irregularities in Galway  (Read 4157 times)

heffo

• View Profile
Re: Serious financial irregularities in Galway
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2019, 02:47:44 PM »
Those Ed Sheeran figures are crazy.

Even if the top CB guys were hopelessly out of their depth, why wouldn't they engage with a commercial 3rd party to act on their behalf?.

thebackbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »
The hurling side of the county have a lot to answer for to be honest.

Heard primetime investagates are down in galway doing a program on Galway gaa.

Definitely someone should look at the Ed Sheeran concerts last year - Galway County Board only earned 76k from 2 sold-out concerts while Cork GAA netted around 1 million for 3 nights.

That's a difference of 38k versus 330k on a per-night basis.

This is still mind blowing, has any plausible explanation ever come out?

Some of the difference's were accounted for by money paid to salthill gaa and work that had to be carried out Pearse Stadium.

However it seems it was very poorly managed, the chairman and treasurer who oversaw these negotiations are no longer involved

Maroon Manc

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2019, 03:16:48 PM »

Even if the top CB guys were hopelessly out of their depth, why wouldn't they engage with a commercial 3rd party to act on their behalf?.

I'm fairly sure the paid commercial manager who left the role a few years for Connacht Rugby would have overseen negotiations; If this is true then it really doesn't look good.

heffo

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2019, 03:27:59 PM »
I seen a Tweet the other day along the lines of GAA players becoming more professional, GAA officials become more amatuerish.

Is there a toxic culture in Galway at a CB level? Why aren't capable people going for these roles?

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2019, 03:35:30 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if it was a case of being too out of their depth to know they were out of their depth.

I know a lot of Galway's issues are related to previous incumbents but the current regime don't seem to be doing much of a job in terms of improving matters given the way the relationships with the main sponsors and management/potential management has been handled. I'm sure the last thing McDonagh wanted was to go public with matters.

You'd have thought priority number one for Galway GAA was keeping the lad who gave them €1.6 million over the last five years on-side and in the loop, especially given all the stuff related to the finances. As soon as the new regime took over they should have arranged a meeting with McDonagh and gone through what was done wrong previously and explain the steps being taken to sort things out going forward. It's hard enough to get sponsors on board, so you'd think some small amount of care would be taken with the relationship, especially given the ongoing issues.

In terms of transparency and openness, one simple small step they could take is to publish all the recent financial accounts on the Galway website and what they can of the various financial audit reports. I heard that some parts of the first report couldn't be published because of legal issues [which says a world about what the financial controls and records were like; basically they're pretty certain money went missing but their controls and records were so poor they can't legally pin responsibility on individuals] It would be a small step forward in terms of openness and signal a difference in approach instead of things being shrouded in rumour.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 03:37:12 PM by twohands!!! »

twohands!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2019, 03:51:17 PM »
I seen a Tweet the other day along the lines of GAA players becoming more professional, GAA officials become more amatuerish.

Is there a toxic culture in Galway at a CB level? Why aren't capable people going for these roles?

Because for the most part county boards are drawing from a relatively small pool of people.
It can be tireless unrewarding work.
A lot of the time it's a case of picking the least worst from those individuals willing to show up.
Also there's little to nothing done in terms of targetting capable people for roles within the organisation.