Alan Brogans Tweet

Started by Baile Brigín 2, February 07, 2019, 09:28:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baile Brigín 2

Seems to have irritated absolutely everyone.

https://twitter.com/alanbrogan13/status/1093170493836967936?s=19

Did he need to bring soccer into it? Did he pick a good example considering that game sells out weeks in advance? Or is everyone over thinking it, if you cant bring the kids to the Dubs, you might bring them elsewhere with all the risks that brings.

Discuss.

Dinny Breen

Dublin GAA player/supporter/manager/administrator is disconnect shock!!!!  ???
#newbridgeornowhere

Hound

I've no problem with Dublin playing home games in Parnell Park.
Although, as I said prior to the "Newbridge or Nowhere" game, having a 50/50 ticket allocation is utterly ridiculous for games that are expected to sell out (unless they are designated neutral games of course).
Otherwise home should get 80%, away 20%. If home can't sell the 80%, then balance is offered to away team. Any left after that goes on general release.

Brogan's tweet was funny in that it shows how sensitive the LOI mob are!

johnnycool

When you've had it so good for so long and don't even realise it....

Rossfan

The campaign against the Donegal Motion has begun.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

dublin7

Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 10:19:18 AM
I've no problem with Dublin playing home games in Parnell Park.
Although, as I said prior to the "Newbridge or Nowhere" game, having a 50/50 ticket allocation is utterly ridiculous for games that are expected to sell out (unless they are designated neutral games of course).
Otherwise home should get 80%, away 20%. If home can't sell the 80%, then balance is offered to away team. Any left after that goes on general release.

Brogan's tweet was funny in that it shows how sensitive the LOI mob are!

In fairness I thought Bohemian's tweet back was funny actually

Owenmoresider

Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 10:19:18 AMBrogan's tweet was funny in that it shows how sensitive the LOI mob are!
It certainly has. I've no particular ill-feeling towards the LOI (have gone to watch the Rovers the odd time) but there is a sizeable element of their support who utterly despise the GAA and love to remind you of that at every opportunity, and there's plenty of them to be found in the Showgrounds every other Saturday. Brogan might have been tone deaf as regards the concerns of the rest of us but he certainly snared that mob with that tweet.

Hard to know between them and some of the hardline athletics types who is more embittered towards the GAA though.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on February 07, 2019, 09:28:54 AM
Seems to have irritated absolutely everyone.

https://twitter.com/alanbrogan13/status/1093170493836967936?s=19

Did he need to bring soccer into it? Did he pick a good example considering that game sells out weeks in advance? Or is everyone over thinking it, if you cant bring the kids to the Dubs, you might bring them elsewhere with all the risks that brings.

Discuss.

Looks like our Alan has had his Damien Duff moment!

magpie seanie

People get offended very easily.

tippabu

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 10:34:03 AM

As I see it it's a shite motion. Am I correct in saying that they only want Dublin to not be allowed nominate Croke park as their home venue? Let's call it what it is, Croke park is Dublins home venue and they should play their home game there. What should be happening is scrapping the "Croke park round" and changing it to "neutral venue". If Galway were drawn to play Kerry they shouldn't be dragged up to Croke park, a game like that should be in limerick. Kerry Dublin as a neutral round should be in thurles not Dublin. Croke park may well suit best for alot of the games but venues should be true neutral ones that is fairest on supporters travelling to games

shark

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 11:10:54 AM
Quote from: Hound on February 07, 2019, 10:19:18 AMBrogan's tweet was funny in that it shows how sensitive the LOI mob are!
It certainly has. I've no particular ill-feeling towards the LOI (have gone to watch the Rovers the odd time) but there is a sizeable element of their support who utterly despise the GAA and love to remind you of that at every opportunity, and there's plenty of them to be found in the Showgrounds every other Saturday. Brogan might have been tone deaf as regards the concerns of the rest of us but he certainly snared that mob with that tweet.

Hard to know between them and some of the hardline athletics types who is more embittered towards the GAA though.

A small minority in my experience. Jerry Kiernan is not a representative sample. Maybe it's a Kerry thing - JJ Hanrahan has thrown out anti-GAA comments in the past too.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:10:06 PM

A small minority in my experience. Jerry Kiernan is not a representative sample. Maybe it's a Kerry thing - JJ Hanrahan has thrown out anti-GAA comments in the past too.
Kiernan is obviously one, but I also had a colleague of Kiernan's closer to home in mind in that regard, has a column in one of the local papers which is purportedly about athletics but regularly throws in cheap shots at the GAA whenever he can.

shark

Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 02:15:11 PM

Kiernan is obviously one, but I also had a colleague of Kiernan's closer to home in mind in that regard, has a column in one of the local papers which is purportedly about athletics but regularly throws in cheap shots at the GAA whenever he can.

Sad really. Athletics is badly underfunded in this country. And the majority of our top athletics have to live off a shoestring budget if they want to go full-time. But it isn't the GAAs fault.

From the Bunker

Quote from: tippabu on February 07, 2019, 01:49:49 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2019, 10:34:03 AM

As I see it it's a shite motion. Am I correct in saying that they only want Dublin to not be allowed nominate Croke park as their home venue? Let's call it what it is, Croke park is Dublins home venue and they should play their home game there. What should be happening is scrapping the "Croke park round" and changing it to "neutral venue". If Galway were drawn to play Kerry they shouldn't be dragged up to Croke park, a game like that should be in limerick. Kerry Dublin as a neutral round should be in thurles not Dublin. Croke park may well suit best for alot of the games but venues should be true neutral ones that is fairest on supporters travelling to games

The motion is calling the GAA's bluff. It is ingeniously worded. Dublin had their butter on both sides last year. And the GAA hid behind Croke Park being a neutral venue malarkey!

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: shark on February 07, 2019, 02:22:30 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on February 07, 2019, 02:15:11 PM

Sad really. Athletics is badly underfunded in this country. And the majority of our top athletics have to live off a shoestring budget if they want to go full-time. But it isn't the GAAs fault.
It literally is. Dont patronise.