Author Topic: Sigerson 2019  (Read 18202 times)

ck

• View Profile
Re: Sigerson 2019
« Reply #165 on: February 23, 2019, 10:55:27 AM »
Firstly, how the hell can we give out about a referee who applies the rules and in fairness to Gough, he's consistent. If you have to wear a gumshield then bloody wear one. These people giving out that other referees don't apply the rule then they are the problem, not Gough!

I spoke to a referee about this and his answer was clear - if you don't speak back to a referee then he'll never know you don't have a gumshield (as he doesn't check) so if you don't wear one, then give the referee abuse, you know what is coming! Gough is probably the most consistent referee in Ireland and in fairness we all want consistency!

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 23, 2019, 12:18:22 PM »

I’m not disagreeing although it may seem like I’m about to.  The difficulty comes though with rules that are never strictly adhered to. The too close on free kick rules seems to never be applied correctly.  In fact most I speak to don’t even know what the precise rule is. Soloing a free kick before taking it is another. Strict compliance with the four step rule or spot of the foul etc etc. If you are going to enforce rules like the gum shield one, when other referees don’t, as was done here you open yourself up to criticism as to why you are cherry picking certain rules. If you laud a ref for strict adherence to the rules you have to criticise him if he allows a free as much as one inch away from the spot of the foul.

Either common sense has to be applied and we accept that will lead to a certain amount of inconsistency or strict adherence to the rules is the ideal in which case I’d imagine we will have a very boring game very quickly. Either way the referee will be liable for criticism. It’s a thankless task which is neigh on impossible in the modern game. I still think a second referee in inter county games would assist immensely.

GalwayBayBoy

• No show like a Joe show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2019, 06:04:38 PM »
Freshers final was played yesterday with DCU going for 4 in a row.

NUIG 2-13 DCU 1-15

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2019, 10:22:09 PM »
Sigerson cup team of the year.

1. Mark Reid (St Mary’s)

2. Brian O’Beaglaoích (UCC)
3. Kevin Mc Donnell (NUIG)
4. Graham O’Sullivan (UCC)

5. Cian Kiely (UCC)
6. Daniel O’Brien (UCC)
7. Cillian O’Shea (UCD)

8. Jarlath Óg Burns (St Mary’s)
9. Padraig Lucey (UCC)

10. Michael Langan (LYIT)
11. Sean O’Shea (UCC)
12. Peter Cooke (NUIG)

13. Stephen McConville (St Mary’s)
14. Evan O’Carroll (UCD)
15. Shane McGuigan (St Mary’s)

Sean O'Shea named player of the Sigerson cup.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Sionnach

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
Sigerson cup team of the year.

1. Mark Reid (St Mary’s)

2. Brian O’Beaglaoích (UCC)
3. Kevin Mc Donnell (NUIG)
4. Graham O’Sullivan (UCC)

5. Cian Kiely (UCC)
6. Daniel O’Brien (UCC)
7. Cillian O’Shea (UCD)

8. Jarlath Óg Burns (St Mary’s)
9. Padraig Lucey (UCC)

10. Michael Langan (LYIT)
11. Sean O’Shea (UCC)
12. Peter Cooke (NUIG)

13. Stephen McConville (St Mary’s)
14. Evan O’Carroll (UCD)
15. Shane McGuigan (St Mary’s)

Sean O'Shea named player of the Sigerson cup.

Unusual double for Kerry with Seán O'Shea getting the Sigerson player of the year and Shane Conway getting the Fitzgibbon award.