Author Topic: Irish Dancing  (Read 1066 times)

johnnycool

• View Profile
Re: Irish Dancing
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2018, 09:53:06 AM »
Where do you start with Irish dancing?

Have Nieces on both my side and the Wifes side of the Family involved!

Luckily we pulled the plug early. We seen the direction of it?

Wigs, make-up, dresses, fake tan, etc

Being a spectacle competition, being a good looking girl also helps win competitions.

Competitions in the middle of Summer spending a decent day inside with competitions running behind time up to midnight.

The better you get the more tuition that is encouraged, the more money you spend.

Costumes cost a bomb!

You have to pay to enter your kids for different dances on the day and you have to pay to go in and see them dance.

For the Dancing Academies it's a Business from start to finish. 

It makes me sad that I can never truly enjoy any time any of my Nieces are successful. As I see them and their Parents getting dragged into an even bigger hole of spending decent and money on this farce.

Start of the year my 10 yo girl was pushing hard to go to Irish dancing lessons and TBH speaking to one of the parents in her class who's kid was at it kind of put me off. She thought it was great, but her wee girl is always clabbered in fake tan, pics on Facebook with the wigs and so forth so I talked our one out of it.
Thankfully she's went head long into the camogie so wigs won't be an issue, but the fake tan might soon enough  ;D

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2018, 10:52:01 AM »
Once again I can only go on my experience. Festival dancing is closer to the old ways of it and thereís less trappings and a much closer connection between the dancers. My daughter is 13 now and has been at it from she was 5-6 and loves it. Like I said she has made all her best friends through it. Iím unusual as a father who goes to a lot of the festivals but honestly I have not had the negative experience that some are expressing.
Is that ďthe other sideĒ? Yuck, spit!

Itís far better that the wigs and make up, trashing kids up to look like dolls, but hey if thatís your thing
Itís still the other side. Thatís all that matters.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
Once again I can only go on my experience. Festival dancing is closer to the old ways of it and thereís less trappings and a much closer connection between the dancers. My daughter is 13 now and has been at it from she was 5-6 and loves it. Like I said she has made all her best friends through it. Iím unusual as a father who goes to a lot of the festivals but honestly I have not had the negative experience that some are expressing.
Is that ďthe other sideĒ? Yuck, spit!

Itís far better that the wigs and make up, trashing kids up to look like dolls, but hey if thatís your thing
Itís still the other side. Thatís all that matters.
Themmuns.