Author Topic: Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football  (Read 24895 times)

cornerback

• View Profile
Re: Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football
« Reply #405 on: January 14, 2019, 10:36:22 AM »
https://twitter.com/BMG_11/status/1084734505070534656

Derry blown up for 1 handpass in a row!! Is that even a thing!!??  And also, 2 handpasses in a row.

Tyrone twice got away with 4 handpasses in a row - both resulting in scores.

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #406 on: January 14, 2019, 10:52:52 AM »
Agree with ringfort and Ballagh.
Positive sort of experience yesterday - except we have no midfield.
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 14, 2019, 11:04:30 AM »
I don't know how anyone thinks the 3 handpass rule will improve the game. It penalises the attacking team trying to break down the blanket defence. It makes it even more rewarding to have loads of men back as you know after the third pass you can bottle the player up. And even if the player gets the kick pass away it inevitably goes backwards outside the 50 to where someone is free. I could see some merit in the rule out the pitch but handpasses are one of the few ways you can work your way through a blanket defence. Teams are also trying to do the kickpassing out the pitch and are only doing safe passes so it's not exactly encouraging the long ball in.

I've seen numerous good attacking plays broken down because of the 4th pass being blown up when a kick wasn't on. It's also an added pressure on referees who will make mistakes try to count so many things.

The other rules I would be less concerned with. Particularly the kick out one which I think should be trialled.

I do worry there will be controversy over whether the ball has travelled the right distance for an attacking mark. It will also lead to more men back trying to avoid teams getting easy scores from them.

Personally if you want to open up the game a bit I think the only way is to go 13 a side and have a rule about having to keep so many players up the pitch. It might still be hard to police at club level but none of the other rules are easy either. It would create a lot more space and open the game up a bit.

westbound

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 14, 2019, 11:22:29 AM »
I think the 3 hand pass rule will have to go because it is too hard to enforce for referees.  Having seen my first game under the new rules yesterday it's nearly impossible for a ref to keep track of it.

regardless of whether it is a good idea in theory or not, I think it'll have to go.

The other 4 rules had minimal effect yesterday, but I think the attacking mark will actually lead to more teams dropping men back to play in front of the big target men.

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: January 14, 2019, 12:08:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/BMG_11/status/1084734505070534656

Derry blown up for 1 handpass in a row!! Is that even a thing!!??  And also, 2 handpasses in a row.

Tyrone twice got away with 4 handpasses in a row - both resulting in scores.
Clear evidence as to why that rule should be done away with and asap at that. Makes the refs job even harder and if county refs had bother with it then i'm sure club refs would have the same issues.

DuffleKing

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 14, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »
If there are people who see a net long term positive effect on either the aesthetics or playing enjoyment of limiting the chained number of handpasses then, for me, they should be disqualified from meaningful discussion about how we actually take a serious look at evolving the game. Essentially those that came up with it and those who support it should be patted on the head and told to sit in the stand.

Similarly the forward sideline contributes nothing positive but there are more and more people saying sure what harm just to say something conciliatory against a morbid handpass discussion backdrop.

The kick out experiment really changes nothing but it highlights the lack of foresight of the Rules crew. They had a "radical" vision for the kick out, were told to wise up and came back with two separate versions before simply moving where keepers kick the ball from to save face in maintaining the facade that they still had a kick out rule experiment. Alarm bells should have been ringing early based on this alone.

Personally i'd be happy that the Sin bin is a better solution to BC offenses (which need reviewed) and that there is a version of the offensive mark that can help the game. Carefully reviewed versions of these and the kick out position change should be trialed during Higher Education and Colleges leagues in the autumn.

Ringfort

• View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 14, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »
One positive change I'd like to see is a traditional Irish split in the GAA. Let the Ulster teams who favour the current set up carry on as they are, giving primacy to tactical massed defence, running with the ball through "blankets", passing through the hands, further development of the game into a sort of basketball/rugby hybrid, coming up with new ways to spoil the spectacle etc etc and let the more naive, purist counties from Connacht , Munster and Leinster get on with developing their game back into something it should resemble i.e. FOOTball 😜

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 14, 2019, 01:40:40 PM »
If there are people who see a net long term positive effect on either the aesthetics or playing enjoyment of limiting the chained number of handpasses then, for me, they should be disqualified from meaningful discussion about how we actually take a serious look at evolving the game. Essentially those that came up with it and those who support it should be patted on the head and told to sit in the stand.

Similarly the forward sideline contributes nothing positive but there are more and more people saying sure what harm just to say something conciliatory against a morbid handpass discussion backdrop.

The kick out experiment really changes nothing but it highlights the lack of foresight of the Rules crew. They had a "radical" vision for the kick out, were told to wise up and came back with two separate versions before simply moving where keepers kick the ball from to save face in maintaining the facade that they still had a kick out rule experiment. Alarm bells should have been ringing early based on this alone.

Personally i'd be happy that the Sin bin is a better solution to BC offenses (which need reviewed) and that there is a version of the offensive mark that can help the game. Carefully reviewed versions of these and the kick out position change should be trialed during Higher Education and Colleges leagues in the autumn.

Great idea, disqualify anyone from discussion who doesn't agree with you.

DuffleKing

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »

Just extrapolating your position that anyone who coaches or manages should be disqualified - more logical to remove those certifiably unable to think logically. For the good of the game of course.

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 14, 2019, 01:52:46 PM »
One positive change I'd like to see is a traditional Irish split in the GAA. Let the Ulster teams who favour the current set up carry on as they are, giving primacy to tactical massed defence, running with the ball through "blankets", passing through the hands, further development of the game into a sort of basketball/rugby hybrid, coming up with new ways to spoil the spectacle etc etc and let the more naive, purist counties from Connacht , Munster and Leinster get on with developing their game back into something it should resemble i.e. FOOTball 😜

Now...are we talking 9 counties or 6 counties here?

oakleaflad

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 14, 2019, 02:27:58 PM »

Now...are we talking 9 counties or 6 counties here?
Talking out their arse is what they're doing

Maiden1

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 14, 2019, 02:38:50 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xonkqJt19dM

If you go to 39:07 you will hear John O'Mahony talking about the Mick O'Dwyer managed Kildare team playing a blanket defense in 1998.  Bit ironic that most people assume Pat Spillane invented the term in 2003 when giving out about northern teams.
If you want something, you have to work for it. Now quiet they're about to announce the lottery no's

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #417 on: January 14, 2019, 04:18:38 PM »
Hear hear!!!
Wonderful game of Connacht football in the Hyde yesterday.
The Ulster stuff could be called "NO!ball"😁
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

tippabu

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 14, 2019, 06:01:46 PM »
As opinionated and outspoken as I've been about the new rules I've yet to see them in the flesh.

On the advanced mark, how is it determined if it's a mark or advantage and attacker plays on? If an attacker catches the ball on the 22 in front of goal and a defender tackles him almost instantly can the attacker just stop and say it's a mark? For kickouts the game pauses and you are not allowed touch the person who takes the mark, that obviously can't happen for the offensive one.

Finding it hard to put down here but it's just a few scenarios I can picture where I'm not sure how it will work out and basically asking so far how it's been reffed in regards to when is it a mark, when is it play on, I presume it's purely down to the player to call a mark and basically has there been any issues and how is this playing out.

mrdeeds

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 14, 2019, 06:27:41 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xonkqJt19dM

If you go to 39:07 you will hear John O'Mahony talking about the Mick O'Dwyer managed Kildare team playing a blanket defense in 1998.  Bit ironic that most people assume Pat Spillane invented the term in 2003 when giving out about northern teams.

At that time Tyrone used a high press on whoever was in possession. Not even remotely defensive. The exact same thing Kerry did in 1997 except Tyrone were more systematic in their application.