Author Topic: Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football  (Read 22071 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: Positive proposals at last to address the spectacle of Gaelic Football
« Reply #555 on: January 29, 2019, 11:35:00 AM »
https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/gaa/gaa-should-have-restricted-players-to-just-one-handpass-reckons-dr-pat-oneill-900749.html

Very interesting. John Fogarty is one of the best GAA journalists

“The modern game wants the handpass and those that are making the rules and are responsible for them being implemented have conceded that.
“Being of the old school, I have to think there’s far too much handpassing. This was an opportunity to restrict it and return to what the game is supposed to be — football. It’s so much like European Handball now.”
As a regular Croke Park matchgoer, O’Neill was alarmed by what he saw last season. “I would go to most of the Championship matches in Croke Park, not just the Dublin games, and I was never as bored as much at a game in my life as I was last summer.
“Some of those games were very pedestrian and they are following a soccer trend when it’s so possession-based.
“A different strategy is needed to entertain the public because over the weekend I saw the TV viewing figures from last year and rugby games are higher than the GAA’s. When you think that Gaelic football and hurling are our national games and reflect the wider community, that’s worrying.
“But you also hear around the place that Gaelic football is not attractive, among my colleagues and out and about — that seems to be the tone.
Sure it's only the league

DuffleKing

• View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 29, 2019, 12:32:16 PM »

Close this thread and we won't have to suffer this type of nonsense

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #557 on: February 09, 2019, 07:42:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with the rules if you play like the Dubs and Kerry.
And Mayo of course, probably the best team of all to watch.

Football between those 3 is the best game of all. Kerry v Dubs miles better than either of the two 6N rugby games today, and of course different gravy to soccer.