WHY DONT GAA PROMOTE CLUB GAME AND GIVE IT A BIG PLATFORM

Started by irish345, September 09, 2018, 07:49:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: five points on September 11, 2018, 10:31:12 AM
Quote from: LeoMc on September 11, 2018, 10:24:58 AM
And how many are dropping out of club football because of the lack of football?

I give up, how many?
Quote from: LeoMc on September 11, 2018, 10:24:58 AM
There were no Senior club games in Tyrone from 01st July until last week,
Fat lot of good the new condensed intercounty season did so.

At 9 weeks it is 3 weeks less than it would have been had Tyrone reached the final last year. Next week would be 1 week better again with no Papal visit. Another few weeks off the IC seacon would let the 99% play football during the summer months and move the Provincial club championships out of November. 

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rossfan on October 29, 2018, 09:45:43 AM
Couldn't find anywhere better for this
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/1028/1007224-cpa-chairman-calls-for-action-after-wicklow-backlog/

GAA still needs to "fix the fixtures"

You'd wonder how Wicklow have a backlog. Then again there may be a lot of dual clubs.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Rossfan

Their Senior team were gone from the Championship in June.
We were in it till 5th August.
Our Senior  Co Final was 2 weeks ago.
Time to go back to progressing Club and County in tandem with allocated weekends for each perhaps?

befair

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 10, 2018, 03:20:31 AM
Nothing wrong with the current format. The only change I'd make is work with Bord Fáilte to promote the All-Ireland club finals on St Paddy's day as a tourist attraction. Croke Park should be full when those matches are on. Tourists want a genuine Irish experience, and it doesn't get more genuine than that.
On a more general note; we are missing a huge opportunity for tourism; every visitor should be encouraged to go to a club match and meet the real people of Ireland. Gaelic games are a unique cultural treasure yet visitors never see them; even give the younger more adventurous ones an opportunity to join a training session, take part in a tournament etc etc. And apart from AI finals and when the Dubs are involved, Croke Park is never full; the GAA should be promoting this on a regular basis

From the Bunker

Nothing wrong with the current format. The only change I'd make is work with Bord Fáilte to promote the All-Ireland club finals on St Paddy's day as a tourist attraction. Croke Park should be full when those matches are on. Tourists want a genuine Irish experience, and it doesn't get more genuine than that.

I Don't know. The Club finals in Croke Park are a personal thing. They are for the Villages and Towns who have teams competing on the day. They are then for the hardcore football/Hurling follower. After that there is only passive interest from the general GAA Fraternity in attending the games. To bring a tourist to a 2/3 empty Croke Park, where fans are coming and going as there is usually mixed interest between football and Hurling folllowers. The finals are usually on a Cold day. And the Standard of football and Hurling is decent but as one would expect not Inter-county standard. Half time entertainment is either drab or non existent.

For me it's to messy of a day to introduce a Tourist to our games for them to really get the full value of what we do and what we are about.

Rossfan

Make them go to a Junior B match in Ballinameen in a wet windy evening ;D

Eamonnca1

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 29, 2018, 06:36:07 PM

I Don't know. The Club finals in Croke Park are a personal thing. They are for the Villages and Towns who have teams competing on the day. They are then for the hardcore football/Hurling follower. After that there is only passive interest from the general GAA Fraternity in attending the games. To bring a tourist to a 2/3 empty Croke Park, where fans are coming and going as there is usually mixed interest between football and Hurling folllowers. The finals are usually on a Cold day. And the Standard of football and Hurling is decent but as one would expect not Inter-county standard. Half time entertainment is either drab or non existent.

For me it's to messy of a day to introduce a Tourist to our games for them to really get the full value of what we do and what we are about.

Wouldn't be 2/3 empty if it's full of tourists.

The Palio di Siena is in theory only of interest to the locals who care which of the town's wards win the race. Tourists don't care which one wins, only the spectacle and the passion that it inspires.

Tourists want to see the genuine Ireland. It doesn't get more genuine than GAA club matches and the All-Ireland club final is as good as it gets in the club game. By that stage the standard is plenty high enough to satisfy the casual spectator.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on October 29, 2018, 09:14:47 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 29, 2018, 06:36:07 PM

Wouldn't be 2/3 empty if it's full of tourists.

The Palio di Siena is in theory only of interest to the locals who care which of the town's wards win the race. Tourists don't care which one wins, only the spectacle and the passion that it inspires.

Tourists want to see the genuine Ireland. It doesn't get more genuine than GAA club matches and the All-Ireland club final is as good as it gets in the club game. By that stage the standard is plenty high enough to satisfy the casual spectator.

If you are looking at taking the Tourist away from the main razzmatazz of the Parade in Dublin. There is only going to be one winner. I have to confess any time I have been at the Club Finals I've gone in only to see the second half of the Hurling, unless the Galway Champions are involved. It is a day for the thermals and sitting through one game on the day is a hard call, especially if you are a neutral.

Your image of the Club All Ireland Final day is romantic. But when you look at it deeper the GAA are getting as much as one can expect  from it.

Eamonnca1

If the match were well enough presented then it'd be as good or probably better than the parade.

twohands!!!

One issue is that you have different units of the organisation responsible for different stages of what is the same competition - the club champions start out being the responsibility of the county boards, then the provincial councils take over before responsibility moves to Croke Park. You have a similar issue with intercounty with provincal
Councils having some responsibility and Croke Park some. That's before you consider schools and 3rd level, and that's before you go near hand ball and rounders, never mind ladies football and camogie.