Author Topic: 2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.  (Read 27360 times)

Giovanni

• View Profile
Re: 2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.
« Reply #270 on: February 10, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »
Would agree with Chrimtain on Scully and Mark Barry in particular. Barry has super football intelligence and calmness on the ball. Great game. As for the sending off - if Iím not mistaken, thatís the same ref that did the O Byrne cup match v Meath and awarded  a penalty in the last minute that had everyone scratching their heads. In truth, referees from counties that are competing in the same league should never be used like that. If that had been a close match or an important one, there would have been war.

The concession of the 2 goals was very disappointing. On another day, that could have been the losing of the game. Not sure why itís happening so often - maybe some lack of mobility in the middle.

Evan was super again today. Heís having a great season so far. He wasnít happy to be taken off but it was the right thing in the circumstances.

Job done and hopefully theyíll get a bit of a run going now.

Nameless

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 10, 2019, 07:56:42 PM »
Just another point, I don't think it was totally coincidental that we conceded the 2 goals after Meaney was subbed. Yes, the 2nd goal came after the sending off but I think Meaney did a lot of dirty work, hard tackling and tracking back.

Laois fan

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2019, 09:00:21 PM »
Good win but sligo were brutal,o carroll was excellent hes really on fire at moment.Barry had an excellent debut great vision and cool on the ball,still a bit light but hes very young and id prefer come championship he plays under 20.We sermed to concede every short kickout to then which was a bit disappointing.i see laoistoday said scullys shoulder was 50/50 from my viewpoint it was s bit reckless and mistimed

on the hop

• View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2019, 09:18:02 PM »
i thought Sligo were terrible, really very limited and we seemed to find it hard to get away from them for long periods. Probably a lot to do with trying to bed in a few players didn't help but they still managed to score two goals which was a disappointment.  Kickouts a bit better today but at times we struggled when we fell back into kicking it long into the centre. its good to see a few young players getting a run and murphy looked very sharp when he came on.

in relation to the sending off, it happened just below me scully put two massive hits before hand but he was just off with that one.

Countyminor

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2019, 10:55:21 PM »
Didn't see enough in the Scully incident to warrant a red - a yellow would've sufficed imo, certainly from my angle. We get carved open way too easily. Any bit of directness from the opposition and we look vulnerable.

Hard to read a whole lot into the game given we were playing against a team who in all probability will be plying their trade in Div 4 next year. Nevertheless I thought some of our forward play was top drawer. In O'Carroll, Donie, P Kingston, Cahillane, Lowry, Barry & Murphy we have full-forward line options the majority of counties would be envious of. Thought Dicey & Boyle did well on the wings, throw in Byrne, Farrell & Benny Carroll returning and we've good competition. Still light in midfield, Meaney did well on his return & put in a fine shift. Tyrell looks a tad raw, Johno is Johno.

Half-backline options are looking good. If all are fit we've Collins, Crowley, Begley, Pigott, Attride, Buggie, Scully, & potentially Dillon and O'Connor competing for 3 positions. Our full-backline did OK today, Nerney is growing all the time & Seale and Dillon in particular are very good options. Overall we've a nice little panel developing, will be interesting to see how things go from here. As Jack Nolan was saying on Midlands 103 a few weeks back prior to Down, you may as well jump on the Laois bandwagon  ;D

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2019, 12:59:17 AM »
Good to win but nothing really learned. Our forwards connected well and Evan was class. His movement and passing had them under pressure all day. On the flip side, it's still too easy for the opposition to get at us quickly.

Our tackling is Under 14 level and our forwards give up when their man goes by. That immediately gives numerical advantage to the attacking team and pushes our full back line back on top of Brody. I have no idea how a team as bad as Sligo could score 2-10 against anyone. And I mean that with all due respect. Just goes to show that we must be doing something wrong. Still nice to get the win though after the shambles of last week. Scully was unlucky. Mistimed at worst. Yellow all day.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2019, 01:09:47 AM »
Good win today against limited enough opposition but we did what needed to be done and came away with another 2 points. The games against Carlow, Westmeath and especially Longford will tell us where we stand as they will all be tough tests. I'm very happy with the way things are going so far and good to see a sizeable Laois support there today.

At last we have very good options in the forward division and the Kingston/O'Carroll threat is an exciting prospect to look forward too. Cahillane was very quiet today but he is another who I expect a lot from this year. We badly need a solid centre back but Scully could be the man we're looking for in that position. He's strong, fearless and very mobile and might have a big role to play for us this year.

Just saw this on Twitter, it's the form of all the teams in the league from the beginning of last years league up to today and we are right up there on top. The left column is today's result..

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 01:31:47 AM by Junior Ex Laoistalk »
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2019, 12:19:19 PM »
Slowly but surely, we're working out our lines on the pitch - I now think we're fine in FF and HF line, and also, with Begley, Attride and what looks like a very good proposition in Scully, the HB line is looking good, too. Where we're looking somewhat scarce is midfield and FB line, in my opinion. Jury still out in midfield and what the pairing there will be. Quigley has been a good servant to Laois but at 32/33 and coming back from extensive injuries, it's hard to see him participate at a very high level in a position that is the most intensive on the pitch (i hope I'm wrong). None of our midfielders are very pacey, and that could hurt us against better teams. At this point, because we have options in the HB line, I'd be tempted to put Begley in midfield. He's likely the fittest man on the panel, in my opinion. He's very good on the ball and off, and he has high football IQ. He's quite mobile too and relatively pacey. We'd have plenty options to cover his role on HB line. JOL/Begley midfield would be my choice right now, but, we've lots more games to go before we must choose our absolute best 15, and, in fairness, lots of lads are holding their hand up for a place and the bite and healthy competitiveness seems to be there. Meaney did well enough against Sligo and deserves more chances definitely. Kieran Lillis has done little wrong in the last year though, he deserves another shot but for me, not midfield. Lot's of options all over the park, we're really still figuring everything out.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 12:25:26 PM by Tony »

les Antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2019, 03:33:27 PM »
Agreed , we need someone athletic bedside JOL at midfield . I'd nearly swap Lillis and Begley. Meaney and Quigley are not the answer both could do a job for the last 20 mins which wouldn't be a bad alternative.  Maybe Danny OReilly is worth a shot again at centre field ?!
Yesterday went as expected . Tactically in training  I'm sure we are working on teams coming directly through the middle at us . We seem to be sticking to a game plan in defence and it's currently exposing us .
Good options up front which will keep everyone on there toes .
Sunday week in Mulligar will be interesting .

Unlaoised

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2019, 10:36:24 PM »
If Heaslin is fit we will struggle in my opinion.

This is the hardest game of the lot .

Horrible ground horrible pitch and not much success at any level up there in recent years .

Any sort of win would be massive.

Hope for a similiar teammate lills instead of scully ?

Like to see Lowry get more 'time and space as John says
LAOIS ABŕ

Don Draper

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 14, 2019, 06:24:32 PM »
Justice for Party Marty!

les Antiques

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 14, 2019, 10:59:06 PM »
If Heaslin is fit we will struggle in my opinion.

This is the hardest game of the lot .

Horrible ground horrible pitch and not much success at any level up there in recent years .

Any sort of win would be massive.

Hope for a similiar teammate lills instead of scully ?

Like to see Lowry get more 'time and space as John says

Agree with it been a horrible venue etc results wise and othewise but how is Heslin  suddenly going to become fit?  He's back training less than an month , he's the least of our worries.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 14, 2019, 11:50:15 PM »
Eight-point win 'ok' states Sugrue

http://hoganstand.com/Laois/Article/Index/295550

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: February 16, 2019, 02:33:32 AM »
Boost for Laois footballers as Scully has controversial red card overturned

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/02/14/boost-for-laois-footballers-as-scully-has-controversial-red-card-overturned/

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:19:43 AM by Junior Ex Laoistalk »