2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 06, 2018, 12:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Probably not, but I don't think it's a priority. We didn't look like a team seeking promotion last week, and we looked hopeless against Louth. I can't imagine the wheels have come off so spectacularly, although I could be wrong.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois manager John Sugrue felt his side petered out, after a lively start against Westmeath in their football league encounter in TEG Cusack Park on Saturday.
"We started brightly. Looked lively enough for 15,17,18 minutes and then just petered out.
"Westmeath got to grips with us and then we really struggled to make any inroads in the second half of the first half and then right through the second half," Sugrue said when speaking to reporters after the game.
The Kerry native agreed that his side never really looked threatening throughout the match when the question was put to him. "You could absolutely say that (weren't threatening). Some of the ball in was of poor quality.

"Some of the contesting for ball inside was of poor quality as well so it's a two-way thing we've got to learn and we've got to get back at it and try and be better again the next day" the Laois manager said.
Sugrue praised his defence and goalkeeper as his side did not concede a goal over the duration of the match but ultimately they did not score enough to win the match. "Out the field we probably let them away with a little bit too much open play without getting enough heat on them.

"In saying that now we didn't concede heavily at the back so great credit is due to the boys inside and Graham had a fine game as well" Sugrue said.
Sugrue does not believe that this result spells the end of Laois promotion hopes, instead opting to focus on the task in hand against Longford on Saturday. "We've got a game next weekend against Longford and we really have to focus on that and try and get ourselves back on track.
"If we do that then we'll see what the last two games bring but really it's as narrow as next weekend now. This is not over. We've put ourselves back on our heels again in this league campaign and it's up to us to respond."

Sugrue feels his side were particularly poor over the duration of the match, but feels that the off the ball department wasn't a million miles from what it could be.
"On the ball we were particularly poor today, off the ball we weren't as good as we can be but we weren't a million miles off what we could be," Sugrue said.
Sugrue agreed that Westmeath were finding it easier to win frees when the question was put to him post-match. "Yeah you could probably say that. On the balance of things I think these videos get reviewed and I think that will be reviewed in that regard" Sugrue said.
Laois face Longford on Saturday night in what is sure to be a match of upmost importance to both teams.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Regarding the Westmeath match , I do think Westmeath in the Championship on the 26th May could have been on the managements mind going into the last match .
3 battles left .We have 2 local derbies and a Longford team with seemingly everyone available again although it's looks like one of there marquee forwards has left the panel .  Id expect a battle tomorrow night .

on the hop

A lot of changes again. I really hope that the team play far quicker tonight and use the kick pass more. Our kicking game has been terrible at times and We don't  have much of a scoring threat from the half forward line so I am hoping the changes are aimed at leaving the three lads in the full forward line tonight and aiming ball in at them, especially for marks. A bit what Dublin did to mayo last week. Benny Carroll and Lillis are very good passers and along with Boyle I am hoping that we use them rather than this horrible lateral game we seemed to have got trapped in. Jol should be trying to get any ball he wins to these three or Begley to get accurate ball in. If he starts drifting across the field then we are going to face the same problems of slow play or forcing runners into carrying it. I was a bit iffy on Ross starting, especially with Donie if we start this hand passing . Neither are going burn lads with pace and Ross has found it hard at times to create separation with his markers. His cuteness will get him a few frees but if he starts finding himself on his own half back line then we probably should be playing someone a bit faster. I had big hopes for Murphy in this regard as he shows very well for ball but he is not getting a look in. If Ross stays near goals he might feed off the other two and nab a few scores.

town1980

On what was a tough nervy night I don't think were playing that well but what I like is everyone is getting a chance to play,,well done lads

Don Draper

Quote from: town1980 on March 02, 2019, 10:21:39 PM
On what was a tough nervy night I don't think were playing that well but what I like is everyone is getting a chance to play,,well done lads
You must love go games

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

I thought we showed a lot of character to get the win last night.

Switching Attride to the smaller number 13 (a switch that I thought took too long), bringing on some pacy players into the middle third all helped. The power and leadership of JOL in the final 20 mins was crucial too - he's in great shape and he played a proper leader's role yesterday.

I think the management team will be learning a lot about the lads they have and I hope they'll see vast difference that extra pace can make on a night like last night.

Finally, congratulations to Ross on a really outstanding achievement. I doubt if he covered more ground in any of the previous 99 games. It's a bit of a shame his achievement wasn't announced at the beginning of the match - it would have added to the interest of it all. He had a great  game and may he enjoy a good few more games before he finally hangs up the boots!

High Fielder

I've been trying to work out where the final third performance came from last night. Prior to it, we were nervous, pedestrian and lacking ideas. It is true, as Laois Today pointed out, that Johnno suddenly started to dominate at midfield. It's also true that the substitutions made an impact, as did a bit of shuffling of the pack. We have been trying to get away with playing lads out of position for a long time, and we probably still will because we have shortfalls in several positions. However, whilst a bit of experimentation is no harm if you think you haven't got the right man for the job, in general, I always think it's best to go with the best man in that position. That means that sometimes you have to leave good players on the bench, but so be it. Easy to say when you don't have to keep lads happy.

Anyway, that final third is what we are looking for. Movement, teamwork and energy. Benny Carroll had a good game considering he's been out for a while. He's what you'd expect of a good Portlaoise lad; comfortable on the ball, makes the right decisions and doesn't panic. With the way Longford set themselves up, we needed to be patient, and his runs infield regularly gave us an option that didn't look on just a few seconds before. He's fairly typical of the sort of lad who does well for Laois; a ball carrier and a good distributor. I am always happier to see us working the ball up the field rather than hoofing it aimlessly at the two big lads. By all means use that option when it makes sense to do so, but last week in Westmeath was the limit with high balls in. Percentage wise, we don't win enough of those balls to make it something we should do every game. We arguably don't move well enough either when we isolate our bigger men, and I mean that with no offence intended. Evan is a much better player on his toes. I hate seeing him standing on the edge of the square and waiting, because when he's running at you he is so elusive.

The most pleasing aspect for me was the concession of only 4 points in the second half. We were noticeably tighter and their threatening players were stifled. I said last week that getting the mix right is so important, and for the likes of Attride, who is so good going forward, it is horrible watching him struggle in a position that doesn't come naturally to him. He was so much more involved when pushed up to wing back. We probably can't completely avoid that in fairness because keeping good players happy also comes into it, but players like him look happier pressing further out. It was noticeable also how much of the game was played in their half in the second half. That took a lot of work when the breeze was in their favour.

Chrimtain

Could there be a role for Shane Nerney at corner back, allowing Attride to play at wing back?

High Fielder

I think the full back line will be Seale, Timmons and Dillon. Attride and Begley wing backs. Piggott not doing enough so far this year at centre back, although maybe he's better at wing back, or, as a man marker. Collins has to be on the radar. He doesn't do too much wrong

Nameless

They showed great battle to win that. As has been said, it looked like a Longford win until the last 20 minutes. Poor shooting and bad decision making cost us a lot in the first half. Nothing was going right for Donie, he got one good mark and we also scored some nice points but it was mixed with some really sloppy play. Even when we dominated for the last 20 minutes, we missed a lot of chances. It has to be said, the conditions were poor. The wind wasn't directly down the pitch so it made harder to convert chances, although Longford took a far higher percentage than we did.
We still have some questions over a number of positions. We need a centre back. We could put Attride there again when Seale comes back. Lillis had a tough night on a good player, I think Meaney is a better option. Scully has been very good at wing back but he offers a lot going forward. Munnelly had a good game and a great achievement to play 100 league games, he does get knocked off the ball a bit too easy on occasion though. We have tried a good few players in the league and unfortunately, some appear not to be at the right level as yet.
On the plus side, Timmons came back in and he makes a huge difference to out defence. Begley is always an option on kick outs and the freer role on the wing is really suiting him. O'Loughlin was very good. Benny Caroll had a good come back, adds some pace. As has been said above, other players to come on added pace also. O'Flynn looked solid. Murphy and Lowry did well also. Maybe a few of these deserve a start the next day to try to stake a claim. O'Carroll was good again but he and Kingston can play better. It's a huge plus that we won despite this.
Overall this league campaign has been very beneficial. It looks like we're safe now and in with a chance of promotion. We have done this while trying out a number of players and made a number of positional switches. We still have a lot of competition for places and two more games to assess further and then settle on a first 15. Going up to division 2 would be nice but staying in division 3 for another season wouldn't be disastrous as we continue to build.

Countyminor

I'd put Collins at corner back over Seale going forward. Thought he was really good when he came on last night, himself & O'Flynn made a real difference. Push Attride to half back. I'd give Pigott another go at centre. He's got that cuteness in him that merits another chance & can play some ball. A very disjointed performance last night but a win is a win. Slightly nervous about going to Tullamore, we never seem to play well there.

Chrimtain

We have had some good performances in Tullamore, not least of which was the win against Westmeath last year.

One of the pleasing things about last night, despite long patches of poor play, was the impact made by young players when introduced.

Unlaoised

Bring on the biffos ...

I enjoyed that last night ..crowd responded to the players and there was a decent number up there again ...

JOL had a great game ...evan was superb but Brody was my man of the match two superb saves when faced with one and ones ...the second one in particular changed the course of the match.

Well done to the player and management (Who made great changes)

Ohhh and kudos to Ross a great performance two terrific points from play I
LAOIS ABÚ