Author Topic: 2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.  (Read 36254 times)

Junior Ex Laoistalk

• View Profile
Re: 2019 Allianz Football League Division 3.
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2019, 10:58:25 AM »
Laois senior football team named for away trip to Westmeath

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2019/02/22/laois-senior-football-team-named-for-away-trip-to-westmeath/

Graham Brody
    David Seale, Denis Booth, Gareth Dillon
  Marty Scully, Stephen Attride, Colm Begley

John OíLoughlin, Kevin Meaney

Damien OíConnor, Donie Kingston, Conor Boyle
   Paul Cahillane, Evan OíCarroll, Mark Barry
« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:01:38 AM by Junior Ex Laoistalk »
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Countyminor

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2019, 09:01:19 PM »
That team is well seasoned anyways. Looks like it's straight out of 2014 with the exception of Barry

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 24, 2019, 03:18:06 PM »
Plenty of wastefulness here. Ball into the forwards has been terrible at times. Some of it Hail Mary stuff. Support play is not all it could be either. Too stand offish. Too zonal. Scully not afraid to bring it in but not many joining him. A winnable game but we need to up the tempo and be sharper

High Fielder

• View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 24, 2019, 06:49:22 PM »
Based on the overall display, I don't think we're properly at it just now. Someone said above that staying in Division 3 is enough, and I'd say looking at the way we played that going up is not a priority. We looked experimental, off the pace and lacking hunger. They looked fitter and hungrier in contrast, but still limited enough. The better team won on the day in fairness. Scully to my eye is more wing forward than wing back, but that's ok as there'd still be room for him in my opinion.

The problem with playing Evan and Donie on the one team is that they're arguably both at their best at full forward. Maybe we should play them together up there and allow ourselves the luxury of having a roving player; preferably someone who can sit in front of the midfield and pass consistently well. That said, Cahillane did well today, but getting the mix right is an issue. Our issues at the back are obvious enough. We lost shape when Seale went off, and we have to be honest and say that often we are putting square pegs into round holes. The need to develop players properly in key positions is something that should be on our mind for the long term future.

As for today, I would say nothing to panic about. It looks like Sugrue has not turned up the heat just yet.

Giovanni

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 24, 2019, 06:57:51 PM »
Very poor today against a fairly limited Westmeath team.

Too many lads didnít show up today. I have to say that Donie might look back on his football career and wonder what might have been possible if he actually put the effort into getting fit. At one stage today he started 2 yards ahead of his man and finished 2 yards behind in a 15 yard sprint. Heís obviously hugely gifted but talent will only get you so far at this level. If he could get himself in the same physical condition as Evan, for example, youíd have a completely different player in my opinion.

However, just as it wasnít all about Donie in Down, it wasnít all about him today either. The whole half forward line just donít seem dynamic enough and it leaves too many open spaces for opponents. This has been a constant issue since the beginning of the league.

Would also much prefer Lillis in centerfield. There were far too many balls kicked away aimlessly giving the forwards little or no chance. I felt sorry for Barry today - he didnít have a great game but he was left completely isolated a lot of the time. Heíll have better days Iím sure.

Thought Denis Booth was having a bad day too and I thought we could have tried alternatives to pick up Heslin - Shane Nerney hasnít done much wrong and even Dillon might have worked better despite the height disadvantage. Even Meaney has some experience back there that might have been worth trying. In any case, I thought it was odd that no change was made there at all.

A huge amount of work to do.

On the positive side, I thought Scully and Begley were superb on the half back line, driving Laois forward time and again.

SpeculativeEffort

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: February 24, 2019, 06:59:36 PM »
We seemed to be comfortable enough in the first half but when Westmeath decided that they'd like to win the game, we let them without much of a battle. Our play from half back to half forward was predictable, slow and ponderable while Kingston at full forward offered very little. Not sure why they didnt just leave O Carroll in there and let Donie drift.
I understand that the overall party line is 'we are building a team' but with the age profile through the spine of todays team Im not sure how true that can be. Booth, Dillon, Begley, Meaney, Johno, Lillis, Munnelly all over 30 with Kingston and Cahillane not far off it either. Where are their replacements going to come from to bring us to a top 12 county?

welcomehome

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 24, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »
Was in mullingar today.laois were shocking.donie kingston  frustrates me,for such a gifted player he is so lazy..,did absolutely nothing today..he wasnt on on his own,i thought evan ocarroll was poor today...The backline was poor.no changes made there i dont think they are playing as good as they did last year,need more players like marty scully,with a bit of heart..he was one of few players,that played well..We will be lucky if we dont go back to division 4 ,the way they are playing...

Laoiseabu

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2019, 08:01:54 PM »
We seemed to be comfortable enough in the first half but when Westmeath decided that they'd like to win the game, we let them without much of a battle. Our play from half back to half forward was predictable, slow and ponderable while Kingston at full forward offered very little. Not sure why they didnt just leave O Carroll in there and let Donie drift.
I understand that the overall party line is 'we are building a team' but with the age profile through the spine of todays team Im not sure how true that can be. Booth, Dillon, Begley, Meaney, Johno, Lillis, Munnelly all over 30 with Kingston and Cahillane not far off it either. Where are their replacements going to come from to bring us to a top 12 county?
Think Boyle is over 30 as well

BallyroanAbu

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2019, 08:04:40 PM »
Was in mullingar today.laois were shocking.donie kingston  frustrates me,for such a gifted player he is so lazy..,did absolutely nothing today..he wasnt on on his own,i thought evan ocarroll was poor today...The backline was poor.no changes made there i dont think they are playing as good as they did last year,need more players like marty scully,with a bit of heart..he was one of few players,that played well..We will be lucky if we dont go back to division 4 ,the way they are playing...

Alright Gary

on the hop

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 24, 2019, 08:10:41 PM »
Agree with a lot of posters above, really awful stuff. I donít think we scored from play for the last 55 minutes and bar Evans goal chance we didnít look like we would. Forwards are a major problem, no real pace from midfield up. We are terrible lateral and only Scully and Begley offered any threat from deep. Dillon was shoring up the full back line so he canít push forward and attride was at sea at centre back and ended up in the corner so another option was gone. options in midfield arenít great at present but I think after today meaney is offering nothing new.

I love to know what sugureís Forward plan was today. When it goes pear shaped or you are chasing the game you end up with teams doing mad stuff like Hail Marys. For some reason we started this fairly early, one in particular by meaney. Donieís role around the centre was bewildering. He offered nothing and barely moved. Once Evan didnít like the marking he was getting, they should have been switched or at least put Evan out onto the wing. To be honest donie should have been off if he wasnít going to be played nearer goals. He wasnít the only one that could have been subbed, they bullied our forwards especially in the second half and we wilted. The three forward subs offered nothing and to me Colm Murphy has shown more in previous games to be brought on ahead of Ross and Lowry. At least he appears to have the pace he show for the ball. The Longford game now is a real four pointer

town1980

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 24, 2019, 09:25:20 PM »
Garett was brilliant today and taken off o Connor was a harsh decision all said we cruised last year this year we are been found out a little and so is our system but John has played so many lads he deserves credit because players genuinely know there getting a Craic of the whip for that I think were doing ok

Laoiseabu

• View Profile
« Reply #296 on: February 24, 2019, 09:31:35 PM »
Garett was brilliant today and taken off o Connor was a harsh decision all said we cruised last year this year we are been found out a little and so is our system but John has played so many lads he deserves credit because players genuinely know there getting a Craic of the whip for that I think were doing ok
We didnít cruise last year . We got the job done in most of the games .

SCFC

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 25, 2019, 03:21:58 PM »
Plenty of lads getting a shot anyway. Some putting the hands up, some not. We might be best served spending another year in division 3 anyway. As long as we don't f**k up and head the other direction.

blueandwhite1

• View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 25, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »
Plenty of lads getting a shot anyway. Some putting the hands up, some not. We might be best served spending another year in division 3 anyway. As long as we don't f**k up and head the other direction.

I agree. If we do go to division 2 there is no point in having a team of 30 somethings with no pace and come straight back down. Need to keep the development focus.

Giovanni

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 25, 2019, 03:43:10 PM »
Agree with the two posters above. Despite the awful performance yesterday, I think the management team are doing a good job in bringing new lads through. Indeed, some of our best performers have been these new lads so it's not all bleak.