Author Topic: 2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament  (Read 5816 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2019, 10:15:57 PM »
I see some boy in the derry thread saying they are average and it is just an unofficial tournament  ;D

I would expect to see them maybe move the coach through with them to senior and bring the specific system etc they play through with them. I would be surprised if in the next few years they aren't pushing on a bit in senior.

Wind up merchants wouldn't put much stock in that . . . in fairness to Bellaghy it's a great achievement for them they would have been close to winning it last year as well only we managed to beat them in a very tight game!

I noted someone comparing it with Glen, Bellaghy's pedigree and the fact that there would be more focus and less distractions in the area may set them apart. Glen's biggest problem which Bellaghy will have as well is having to bring through so many young lads at one time. Slaughtneil were a great example while they had the nucleus of a good senior team they were able to bring through 2-3 lads from Minor teams that were competing with Glen at underage level which gave them a massive headstart.

Derry have a few good teams coming through the next few years hopefully we can get them to play for the county and get a bit of buzz around the county team again!

The reason I mention Glen was their series of wins at this level NEVER materialised at senior as they don’t have the pedigree like Bellaghy, bringing a squad of young lads straight on to senior won’t help..

we won five in a row at minor and Under 21 but could only bring on bring on 2/3 per year although we could have brought more on based on their skill level but it worked for us. The problem was we lost a lot of good players who were very decent but we’d a winning formula with the squad we had..
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2019, 10:23:35 PM »
I think the eldest of those winning Glen teams would be about 25 now?

Newbridge Exile

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2019, 09:24:25 PM »
Yep Emmet Bradley would probably be the oldest  and should be turning 26 this year

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2019, 09:31:44 PM »
I see some boy in the derry thread saying they are average and it is just an unofficial tournament  ;D

I would expect to see them maybe move the coach through with them to senior and bring the specific system etc they play through with them. I would be surprised if in the next few years they aren't pushing on a bit in senior.

Wind up merchants wouldn't put much stock in that . . . in fairness to Bellaghy it's a great achievement for them they would have been close to winning it last year as well only we managed to beat them in a very tight game!

I noted someone comparing it with Glen, Bellaghy's pedigree and the fact that there would be more focus and less distractions in the area may set them apart. Glen's biggest problem which Bellaghy will have as well is having to bring through so many young lads at one time. Slaughtneil were a great example while they had the nucleus of a good senior team they were able to bring through 2-3 lads from Minor teams that were competing with Glen at underage level which gave them a massive headstart.

Derry have a few good teams coming through the next few years hopefully we can get them to play for the county and get a bit of buzz around the county team again!

The reason I mention Glen was their series of wins at this level NEVER materialised at senior as they don’t have the pedigree like Bellaghy, bringing a squad of young lads straight on to senior won’t help..

we won five in a row at minor and Under 21 but could only bring on bring on 2/3 per year although we could have brought more on based on their skill level but it worked for us. The problem was we lost a lot of good players who were very decent but we’d a winning formula with the squad we had..

St galls did reasonably big bang approach did they not? They had sean burns, mcrrory and kennedy in nets to name a few older ones but that first championship team had a load of young guys in it i thought? When i say a load i mean close to double figures? I would be interested to see the lineup but doubt I could find the program.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2019, 10:11:04 PM »
Simon Kennedy, Michael culbert, mccrorry, pat o’Connor big Darren sean burns Mc Shane Maguire Gerry mcclarnon  GAGa big Eunan

They would have been none of the youth players as such . Kel Kieran Chris McCann Brady would have been the older kids that day

They came quicker the following few years though
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2019, 10:35:47 PM »
Ah more than i remember. Didn't realise some of those boys you mentioned were on the 97(or 98 or whatever it was) team.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2019, 11:07:17 PM »
Ah more than i remember. Didn't realise some of those boys you mentioned were on the 97(or 98 or whatever it was) team.

We’d a few Cracking players near their last last legs that held in there and they actually brought that team through as they’d won championships previously

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2019, 10:39:23 AM »
Club pedigree definitely has a bearing on being able to bring through a significant group of players. We brought through 13 onto the senior panel over a period of 2 years who all won minor county over a 3 year period. 9 of that 13 regularly played in championship winning teams. That was the first group of us that came through but the consequence of that is that subsequently we were able to bring though 7-8 of any strong minor team after that and then 2-3 of the decent teams