Military Displays at Croke Park

Started by gallsman, July 28, 2018, 10:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

When Séamus Quaid was murdered by a Provo?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

gallsman

#strengthenthenation

Pathetic stuff altogether.

TheGreatest

Its funny to me that people think operating under the U.N banner is being neutral.

They are normalising the military with exercises like this for the purposes of the European Army - PESCO. In particularly important to do so in countries like Ireland who would I imagine being against Irish Men and Women being sent to fight other nations wars.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: gallsman on July 28, 2018, 10:20:21 PM
Anyone any thoughts on the Defence Forces/UN service tributes that were on display at Headquarters today?

Its a start on the slippery slope that leads to this:

Example - the yanks.

Becoming more and more like a right wing, ultra-nationalist, police state by the year.

Massive military spending? Check.
No criticism of militaristic attitudes allowed? Check.
Erosion of civil rights? Check.
Restriction in freedom of press? Check.
The public are fed more propaganda lies than truths? Check.
i usse an speelchekor

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Owenmoresider on July 29, 2018, 04:12:53 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 29, 2018, 12:24:57 AM
Are we being softened up for Pesco, and is this just a preliminary step, and no better avenue of approach than via the GAA?
That'd be my thinking too. And with Varadkar only too happy to please his EU masters it sadly looks like our army will become pawns in their game.

Never thought of it that way. Both of you could be correct.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

inthrough

I was no more impressed with the army display than I am with the flying of Palestinian flags at games.

The GAA is about the promotion of our national games & allowing others to piggyback is not something I like.

BennyCake

Quote from: inthrough on July 31, 2018, 12:46:45 PM
I was no more impressed with the army display than I am with the flying of Palestinian flags at games.

The GAA is about the promotion of our national games & allowing others to piggyback is not something I like.

Agree on both.

Rainbow coloured shirts/gloves also should have no place either.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on July 30, 2018, 04:01:52 AM
#strengthenthenation

Googled this to see what it was.
Sure this is just mainly Irish DFs force stuff whats so pathetic about it?

trailer

Just to really get peoples goats up.

How many GAA members were involved in the Easter Rising. I always thought it was concentrated in Dublin and was quite shambolic in its organisation. Events there after granted had more effect. I don't think it's true that 1000's of GAA members from across the country took place.
Commemorating members involved in the PIRA's campaign in NI isn't something I'd like to associate with. Only a very small minority were involved in violence in NI. To paint it as loads of GAA members were in the PIRA isn't accurate. Therefore having huge commemorations in GAA grounds, I think, is inappropriate. 

omaghjoe

Quote from: trailer on July 31, 2018, 04:31:34 PM
Just to really get peoples goats up.

How many GAA members were involved in the Easter Rising. I always thought it was concentrated in Dublin and was quite shambolic in its organisation. Events there after granted had more effect. I don't think it's true that 1000's of GAA members from across the country took place.
Commemorating members involved in the PIRA's campaign in NI isn't something I'd like to associate with. Only a very small minority were involved in violence in NI. To paint it as loads of GAA members were in the PIRA isn't accurate. Therefore having huge commemorations in GAA grounds, I think, is inappropriate.

Perhaps the question should be if "loads" of volunteers were in the GAA

A good gauge might be to compare  percentage of volunteers to the general populace v % of volunteers to GAA involvement.

gallsman

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 31, 2018, 04:22:14 PM
#strengthenthenation

It's jingoistic bollocks, that's what's pathetic.

Cunny Funt

#strengthenthenation

Googled it also "commemorating this year's 60th Anniversary of Irish involvement in Peacekeeping" not sure what so pathetic about that either?

gallsman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 31, 2018, 05:58:14 PM
#strengthenthenation

Googled it also "commemorating this year's 60th Anniversary of Irish involvement in Peacekeeping" not sure what so pathetic about that either?

What's it got to do with the GAA?

What's peacekeeping got to do with strengthening the nation?

Meaningless gibberish to stir nationalistic emotion in morons.

omaghjoe

Quote from: gallsman on July 31, 2018, 10:35:56 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 31, 2018, 05:58:14 PM
#strengthenthenation

What's it got to do with the GAA?

What's peacekeeping got to do with strengthening the nation?

Meaningless gibberish to stir nationalistic emotion in morons.

You brought that hastag into this thread and started bashing it when it had nothing in particular to do with the commemoration at Croke Park.

Peacekeeping means that Ireland is an active member of the UN where all sovereign nations recognize each other. Enhanced reputation there advances diplomatic weight and hence strengthens sovereignity

Eamonnca1

Here is what it's like in the US now.

• TV newsreaders, and sports commentators, refer to American troops as "our troops." War is thus reported on like an international football match where the viewer is left in no doubt as to which side he is supposed to support.
  • Professional sporting events have become militarized, with air force flyovers and military personnel openly marching on the field in uniform, complete with a million flags or one big flag the size of the field. The crowd is expected to applaud seriously and reverendly.
  • Some people think a protest held during the playing of the national anthem is "disrespectful to the troops," implying that the national anthem is for the military only and not for all citizens.
  • If you are a public figure and you're introduced to a member of the military, the next words out of your mouth need to be "thank you for your service," delivered with a serious face and in a serious tone. Failure to do it properly (unless you're a Republican and the soldier is gay) will have you torn apart by right wing media.
  • If you're at a public event and an announcement comes over the PA saying "all current or former members of our military, please stand up," you're supposed to clap and applaud the people who stand up, preferably nodding your head with a big serious look on your face.
  • Any criticism of foreign policy that you disagree with, particularly one that involves active combat troops, is denounced as being "disrespectful to the troops."
  • Soldiers are referred to in advertising campaigns as "heroes," hence fundraising campaigns have names like "help for heroes" and what have you. The possibility that an American serviceman did anything wrong, broke any rules, or committed any war crimes is not even considered. If they wear a uniform, they're a hero, and anyone who says otherwise is denounced as "unpatriotic."
  • Service people are referred to as "brave men and women." It makes it sound more poetic when you list both genders, you see.
  • If you have a bumper sticker on your car saying "support our troops," that is completely normal.

I remember when I lived in England and chatted to people about acquaintances they had in the army. It wasn't considered a very prestigious occupation and few people that I knew seemed to have a high opinion of anyone just because they joined the service. A very different culture from the American worship of service people brave men and women in uniform.

Does Ireland really want to go the American way and adopt a fetishization of state-funded violence at all levels of culture?