Author Topic: Full time professional referees  (Read 4190 times)

CornUladh02

• View Profile
Re: Full time professional referees
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2018, 11:00:38 PM »
Not be hurling fanatic but watched cork limericks today. Is it time for 2 referees in hurling? The match was so fast. The ref had bother keeping up and then when he did keep up he had done difficult calls to make! Should be trialled in a pre season comp in coming years

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 29, 2018, 11:38:52 PM »
Todayís ref got nearly all the right calls, you not being a hurling man, as you have said, know nothing about hurling. Any hurling man Iíve spoken to didnít once talk about the ref
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2018, 11:41:26 PM »
Todayís ref got nearly all the right calls, you not being a hurling man, as you have said, know nothing about hurling. Any hurling man Iíve spoken to didnít once talk about the ref
Ref did well today. Though what do you make of his general suggestion of having 2 refs, milltown?

CornUladh02

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 29, 2018, 11:51:01 PM »
Where have I criticised the referee me know it all? I admire any ref in a game as it's not an easy job at a game warm day 70 odd thousand there and some difficult calls to make like slot of games.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2018, 12:02:03 AM »
Ref did well today. Though what do you make of his general suggestion of having 2 refs, milltown?

He has two linesmen, one refereed last years final (excellent too he was) who talk to him throughout the game, he has four personal friends doing umpire, whom heís talking to regularly..

Having another referee and people will still say the refs interpretation of the foul is wrong! Itís about opinions. Thatís mine.
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2018, 12:06:00 AM »

He has two linesmen, one refereed last years final (excellent too he was) who talk to him throughout the game, he has four personal friends doing umpire, whom heís talking to regularly..

Having another referee and people will still say the refs interpretation of the foul is wrong! Itís about opinions. Thatís mine.
Can they advise on fouls in general play? A referee can find himself far away or have his view blocked very easily.

CornUladh02

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2018, 12:07:22 AM »
Does being personal friends with the referee make them more qualified for the job of umpire than me or you? Is there a training need for umpires in the GAA?

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2018, 12:11:47 AM »

Can they advise on fouls in general play? A referee can find himself far away or have his view blocked very easily.

Did a match last year, was linesman, rigged up to the ref, before the game we were told to bring everything to the refs attention, the referee ultimately has the call but if he believed you were in better position heíll call it, based on the linesmanís call. I donít know if that answers your question but I found it very good..

All umpires at that level go through a course on umpires Corn

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2018, 12:14:14 AM »
The worst thing about this thread is non referee posters not actually understanding refereeing but come on with absurd ideas

hardstation

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2018, 12:17:44 AM »

Did a match last year, was linesman, rigged up to the ref, before the game we were told to bring everything to the refs attention, the referee ultimately has the call but if he believed you were in better position heíll call it, based on the linesmanís call. I donít know if that answers your question but I found it very good..

All umpires at that level go through a course on umpires Corn
I suppose it kind of does. I would have thought that you (and any ref) would have been in support of a 2nd ref. I would have thought extra back up or support would have been greatly welcomed. Interesting that you donít seem too fussed.

Probably donít want to split the £20.  :)

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2018, 12:33:51 AM »
Iíd much prefer at all games umpires and linesmen... two refs is just more confusing. Sure the auld boy whoís struggling to walk and see is all you need on the line.

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2018, 12:34:54 AM »
Is it just me then or do hurling refs interpret the rules just whatever way they want? Not that it takes away from the spectacle but Jesus theyíre very lax about steps, charging and throw balls, even more so than footballl refs.

If football refs were that slack about pulling for those 3 offences Iíd say theyíd get a bollixing on here.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2018, 12:38:22 AM »
Football is pure dung. Made up of people trying to con the ref. Old style were men men and got on with the game is lost now.

BennyHarp

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2018, 01:00:27 AM »
The worst thing about this thread is non referee posters not actually understanding refereeing but come on with absurd ideas

My original post wasn't meant to be a dig at referees. On the contrary it was just a suggestion to try and boost the profile and status of the referee and for the top referees to possibly be given responsible for developing a greater level of consistency amongst themselves whilst trying to develop the same amongst refs in their county. If that means throwing a bit of money at it, then fair enough.
That was never a square ball!!

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2018, 01:14:26 AM »

My original post wasn't meant to be a dig at referees. On the contrary it was just a suggestion to try and boost the profile and status of the referee and for the top referees to possibly be given responsible for developing a greater level of consistency amongst themselves whilst trying to develop the same amongst refs in their county. If that means throwing a bit of money at it, then fair enough.

Itís part of the game, the ref has his job the players and manager had theirs.. if players perfected the tackle then weíd be grand, there are games and you just wonder, WTF! Blow the whistle all the time and youíre not letting the game flow, donít blow the whistle and heís losing control and the players are blaming you for their handbags!

The consistency is impossible, the games arenít consistent and players arenít consistent, not one referee gives a toss to who wins, lets make that abundantly clear. Heíll try his best and will make mistakes.. stop focusing in on the ref, Iíve noticed the amount of gurning now is desperate! But I suppose the ref is the easier target, how making them professional will improve that, I donít know, would need to be decent money though for a man to leave his job