126 (70.4%)
No
37 (20.7%)
Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

AZOffaly

70,000 is a massive crowd for a hurling semi final. All the projections I heard during the week were for 60-70,000.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 02:31:04 PM
I think this is a pretty unique case.
To take the example of the soccer team wanting to use a GAA stadium with a bigger capacity for a competitive game, it wouldn't have anything like the groundswell of support that the Miller charity game has had, and could be easily shot down if necessary.

Who would shoot it down?

If the county board decided to - do you think the social media warriors would wade in supporting the U-14s whose final was that night?

Look at the example below, which is pretty much the scenario you are describing.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/serious-gaa-and-soccer-fall-out-up-north-as-derry-city-are-sent-to-donegal-105692
Plenty of anger on social media, but because it is predominantly coming from Derry City fans, it's not a big story.

Exactly my point.

Derry's a bit of a bad example as most (of the GAA persuasion) wouldn't want to play a game in Celtic Park anyway - but, since its a bit of a theoretical argument right now, lets say they did.

If the county board did decide to rent out the ground to Derry FC - what happens if the gaelic, hurling and camogie finals are f**ked around to suit the fixtures of the LOI? The social media campaign obviously fell on deaf ears. Would it be any different if it were just the few affected clubs up in arms?
i usse an speelchekor

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 03:17:15 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 30, 2018, 02:57:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2018, 02:48:03 PM
As I said this going ahead has ruined a lot of people's "outrage".,
Including 3 here.
How many of those outraged  will buy a ticket or make a contribution?
Will Ross or Martin or Griffin?
As J says most talk in GAA circles is now about the hurley and 3 of next weekends football matches.

Most of the talk the week before the AISFs was about how the GAA were gobshites. If you think that was a success you are as daft as usual. It sounds like yesterday's game underwhelmed in terms of attendance too. Telling.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

Someone wasn't listening to the commentary.. too quick on the trigger and you've managed to embarrass yourself again. I usually leave you on ignore but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

What was underwhelming in terms of attendance yesterday? It was over 70,000 I think? That's very healthy for a semi final.

The forecasts where higher, AZ. A Dublin AISF could grab 70,000 and still be underwhelming - it's less about the gross and more about what is expected. The fact Cork was one of the two teams involved yesterday should not be ignored either.

I had no idea what the expected attendance was prior to the game and when I was driving through town yesterday morning I couldn't get over the number of red & green jersies around the place.
This was hours before the game.
Anything over 70,000 is a massive crowd for any sporting event.
I think in general (not you specifically, Syf) we'd do well to stop using the attendances we got during 'the good times' as a benchmark for how good/bad a crowd is.
The country was drowning in cheap money and disposable incomes were way bigger than they are now.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 03:50:56 PM
70,000 is a massive crowd for a hurling semi final. All the projections I heard during the week were for 60-70,000.

Just for shits and giggles I checked the semi final attendances for AIH semi finals over the last 5 years. Football, especially with the Dubs in it, attracts bigger crowds normally.

2017 Semi Finals - Galway v Tipp 68,184; Cork v Waterford 72,022
2016 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Waterford 34,432 (replay 30,058); Tipperary v Galway 54,227
2015 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Waterford 41,112; Tipperary v Galway 58,495
2014 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Limerick 45,478; Cork v Tipperary 68,728
2013 Semi Finals - Dublin v Cork 62,092; Limerick v Clare 62,962

So only the 2017 Semi Final between Cork and Waterford has had more, and that was by less than a thousand.

JoG2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
To take the example of the soccer team wanting to use a GAA stadium with a bigger capacity for a competitive game, it wouldn't have anything like the groundswell of support that the Miller charity game has had, and could be easily shot down if necessary.

Who would shoot it down?

If the county board decided to - do you think the social media warriors would wade in supporting the U-14s whose final was that night?

Look at the example below, which is pretty much the scenario you are describing.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/serious-gaa-and-soccer-fall-out-up-north-as-derry-city-are-sent-to-donegal-105692
Plenty of anger on social media, but because it is predominantly coming from Derry City fans, it's not a big story.

Exactly my point.

Derry's a bit of a bad example as most (of the GAA persuasion) wouldn't want to play a game in Celtic Park anyway - but, since its a bit of a theoretical argument right now, lets say they did.

If the county board did decide to rent out the ground to Derry FC - what happens if the gaelic, hurling and camogie finals are f**ked around to suit the fixtures of the LOI? The social media campaign obviously fell on deaf ears. Would it be any different if it were just the few affected clubs up in arms?

From speaking to someone from Co board at the time, Derry City were far too late in applying for CP as a temp home ground.

trailer

In reality there are very few games that would have a need for access to GAA grounds. Imagine the Derry City crowd roughly 1500 in Celtic park, would pay them to rent the stadium. Open them up, offer them for rent where it suits with the GAA calendar. There won't be any amount of uptake. Even local club pitches would have no capacity for additional sports.

johnnycool

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 03:49:50 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 03:36:01 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 03:17:15 PM
Quote from: Franko on July 30, 2018, 02:57:18 PM
Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 02:54:59 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 30, 2018, 02:48:03 PM
As I said this going ahead has ruined a lot of people's "outrage".,
Including 3 here.
How many of those outraged  will buy a ticket or make a contribution?
Will Ross or Martin or Griffin?
As J says most talk in GAA circles is now about the hurley and 3 of next weekends football matches.

Most of the talk the week before the AISFs was about how the GAA were gobshites. If you think that was a success you are as daft as usual. It sounds like yesterday's game underwhelmed in terms of attendance too. Telling.

No it didn't.  WUM fail.

Someone wasn't listening to the commentary.. too quick on the trigger and you've managed to embarrass yourself again. I usually leave you on ignore but this was too good an opportunity to pass up.

What was underwhelming in terms of attendance yesterday? It was over 70,000 I think? That's very healthy for a semi final.

The forecasts where higher, AZ. A Dublin AISF could grab 70,000 and still be underwhelming - it's less about the gross and more about what is expected. The fact Cork was one of the two teams involved yesterday should not be ignored either.

Do you believe a lot of Cork hurling fans didn't travel yesterday because of how the charity game was handled by the GAA?

I wouldn't know for sure as its hard to quantify but there were more at this years semi-final featuring Cork than there were at last years also featuring Cork.
Might be down to the opposition but I don't think you can make that assertion and back it up with facts.

trueblue1234

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 04:04:12 PM

Just for shits and giggles I checked the semi final attendances for AIH semi finals over the last 5 years. Football, especially with the Dubs in it, attracts bigger crowds normally.

2016 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Waterford 34,432 (replay 30,058); Tipperary v Galway 54,227

So only the 2017 Semi Final between Cork and Waterford has had more, and that was by less than a thousand.

Destroyed I believe is the term......
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Jinxy

The motion before Congress has to be worded in such a way that leaves delegates in no doubt that we will go 'this far and no further'.
Initially designate a small number of grounds, and then put in place a system whereby provincial/county boards can apply to have a ground added to the list, after canvassing club delegates.
That way, nobody is being forced into anything (I'm looking at you Ulster!)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

johnnycool

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2018, 03:40:50 PM

Who would shoot it down?

Cancer is in the news every day of the week, so when you refuse access to a stadium for a fundraising game on the basis that 'rules is rules', you're pulling in a massive constituency that has no real interest in sport, but cannot understand why everything is not being done to support a charity game for a young husband and father who died of cancer.

But rules *are* rules - the most recent query on this rule would have been Clare's motion on opening up grounds that were not Croke Park. Defeated by approx 77% to 23%.

The best ad-hoc the GAA could have done would have been a telephone vote of county delegates on a one-off opening of PUC for this game.

As I have said before, congress should separate Croke Park, PUC and a stadium in each of Connacht and Ulster, from the rest of the GAA grounds in the official guide.
Let them run any event they see fit.
If Munster need more capacity for a big European game, let them use PUC.
If Connacht need more capacity, let them use Pearse stadium.
The reality is that there are not a massive amount of big sporting events that would be able to make use of the additional capacity, outside of European Cup rugby games.

That suggestion makes sense. However, to take this case, would PUC have been the designated Munster stadium? Or would it have been Semple Stadium?
What about the rules the GAA agreed with the EU over the funding? You seem to have avoided that

Is this the community aspect you are talking about?

Franko

And the truth shall set you free.  Yet again Syferus is made look like a fool by the facts.  Made even more hilarious by his repeated doubling down on his mistake.  Of course, he won't see this post because he has me on ignore (but managed to see my original).   ;D ;)  He'll see AZ's though.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 02:38:17 PM
'PR catastrophe' is hyperbole.
Now that the venom has been taken out of the conversation, the only people who will bear a grudge about this going forward are the people who had a grudge before this ever even happened.
And, if it turns out to be a catalyst for change at the next Congress, it will have done the association some service.
All the GAA-related social media chatter today is about how,
a) 'The hurling at the weekend was unbelievable',
and,
b) 'I can't get tickets for Thurles, the GAA are a shambles/disgrace'.
My suspicion is that a lot of the folk talking the good talk about sporting ecumenism last week were actually folk who simply wanted to see 'de gah' given a bloodied nose out of this whole affair.
The fudge that has been arrived at is a pretty outcome given the obstacles.

Syferus

The expected attendance was lower than what actually turned up. I don't really know what bearing other games have on that statement, AZ. The hype Limerick generated from beating Kilkenny and Cork has come off winning Munster made this a very attractive tie on paper.

It's impossible to tell but I wouldn't be surprised if some bandwagon fans in Cork decided to stay at home in part because of this shïtshow.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: johnnycool on July 30, 2018, 04:20:53 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2018, 03:40:50 PM

Who would shoot it down?

Cancer is in the news every day of the week, so when you refuse access to a stadium for a fundraising game on the basis that 'rules is rules', you're pulling in a massive constituency that has no real interest in sport, but cannot understand why everything is not being done to support a charity game for a young husband and father who died of cancer.

But rules *are* rules - the most recent query on this rule would have been Clare's motion on opening up grounds that were not Croke Park. Defeated by approx 77% to 23%.

The best ad-hoc the GAA could have done would have been a telephone vote of county delegates on a one-off opening of PUC for this game.

As I have said before, congress should separate Croke Park, PUC and a stadium in each of Connacht and Ulster, from the rest of the GAA grounds in the official guide.
Let them run any event they see fit.
If Munster need more capacity for a big European game, let them use PUC.
If Connacht need more capacity, let them use Pearse stadium.
The reality is that there are not a massive amount of big sporting events that would be able to make use of the additional capacity, outside of European Cup rugby games.

That suggestion makes sense. However, to take this case, would PUC have been the designated Munster stadium? Or would it have been Semple Stadium?
What about the rules the GAA agreed with the EU over the funding? You seem to have avoided that

Is this the community aspect you are talking about?
Yes, obviously.

Rossfan

Only our embarrassing village eejit could call an attendance of 71,036 at an Irish sporting event "underwhelming ".
It is likely to be the 4th biggest crowd at a sporting event in Ireland in 2018.

I wonder have Liam Miller's former Multi National Employers Manchester United  and Celtic contributed anything?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM