Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jayop

A quick point on a topic that was a big source of conversation before this game but hasn't been touched on since that I've seen was the Ballybofey factor and how many points was it worth for Donegal.

I'd probably say after the game it was worth 2/3 points, and more specifically it was probably the frees Tyrone missed in the first half thanks to the huge pressure our players were under from the crowd. That game played in a neutral venue and at least two of those are over the bar.

Thoughts?

WT4E

Quote from: Jayop on August 06, 2018, 10:16:50 PM
A quick point on a topic that was a big source of conversation before this game but hasn't been touched on since that I've seen was the Ballybofey factor and how many points was it worth for Donegal.

I'd probably say after the game it was worth 2/3 points, and more specifically it was probably the frees Tyrone missed in the first half thanks to the huge pressure our players were under from the crowd. That game played in a neutral venue and at least two of those are over the bar.

Thoughts?

My thoughts - we're shite at frees so probably would have missed them anywhere!!!!

Hopefully Lee Brennan can sort that out too!

Jayop

;D ;D

Yeah that's a fair enough point but I still would have fancied us to knock over two of them.

omagh_gael

I'd say the roaring and shouting by the Donegal players Infront of McAliskey did more to put him off than the crowd.

Jayop

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 06, 2018, 11:01:03 PM
I'd say the roaring and shouting by the Donegal players Infront of McAliskey did more to put him off than the crowd.

Do they get away with that away from Ballybofey? Rock had a free brought in twenty yards that he missed for the slightest encroachment. There's no way those Donegal players were all the required distance.

Throw ball

Quote from: Jayop on August 06, 2018, 05:50:36 PM
It looked incredibly harsh and a niggly decision to give. That didn't cost us a score immediately but probably fed into the panic that caused the goal just afterwards.

That's three calls like that that have gone against us in recent games. I can't remember seeing one given against any other team all season.

You mustn't have watched too many other games then. Saw it regularly this last few seasons. I also think the rule has been tweeked in that it has to travel 14m and the player has to be outside 21 when kicked.

Jayop

I've watched as much football as anyone I'd say. Possibly not passing much heed when it's not Tyrone admittedly.

The ball went about 25 yards and beyond the 21 so the only thing would be was the player a tiny bit inside the 21 before it was kicked. If he was it was very slight and fussy.

RedHand88

Quote from: Jayop on August 07, 2018, 12:44:04 AM
I've watched as much football as anyone I'd say. Possibly not passing much heed when it's not Tyrone admittedly.

The ball went about 25 yards and beyond the 21 so the only thing would be was the player a tiny bit inside the 21 before it was kicked. If he was it was very slight and fussy.

Yep that's spot on. I've only seen it pulled up twice and the other time was v Roscommon 3 weeks ago!
If it doesn't give you a distinct advantage being inside then it shouldn't be pulled up, especially since out defender was running out the field anyway.

cadhlancian

Was surprised that Bradley's point in the first ha
F didn't receive more plaudits. Picked up the ball inside his own 14 , sprinted the length of the field , received it back, steadied himself and drilled it over the black spot with the outside of his left boot from about 30 yards. I thought it was the best score of the day.....

RedHand88

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 07, 2018, 05:59:53 PM
F didn't receive more plaudits. Picked up the ball inside his own 14 , sprinted the length of the field , received it back, steadied himself and drilled it over the black spot with the outside of his left boot from about 30 yards. I thought it was the best score of the day.....

Was that the one with the 1 2 with cavanagh? It was wonderfully worked.

BennyHarp

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 07, 2018, 05:59:53 PM

Absolutely class. He was right in front of where I was standing when he threw the little dummy to get space about 30 yards from his own goal. There was actually quite a strong breeze blowing right across the pitch in the first half towards the terrace side so his decision to steady and slice it over rather than curl it was spot on.
That was never a square ball!!

Jayop

The way he steadied himself I almost thought he fouled the ball it was so unusual looking. Class point tho.