Kildare v Galway. Super 8s Round 2. 22 July 2pm #newbridgeornowhere

Started by Dinny Breen, July 16, 2018, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

It was a clear strike at the throw in at the start of the game, umpires ignored it and it set the theme for the game. Dan Flynn returned to FF after the throw in and was dogged off the ball for the rest of the game until he struck out. It seems to be a theme from other reports of Galway games but they are getting away with it.

I know Cian O'Neill can be an excuse maker but his frustrations today were understandable.

Jinxy

It was ever thus.
Backs know how to get away with this kind of thing, forwards get frustrated and lash out.
It's still a deserved red card.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

An Fhairche Abu

Cian O'Neill would want to ditch the whinging, he's been at it a lot already this year.
Fair enough if a Galway player deserved a red card for another incident and you want to decry the lack of consistency in decisions, work away there but cut the bullshit when it's your own player who has let you down, it was a clear red card.
The notion that Kildare were as white as their jerseys today in terms of the off the ball stuff should be laughable to anyone actually at the match, the Kildare 25 was only spared a red card for assaulting Varley in injury time because the full time whistle went.

gallsman

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 22, 2018, 10:05:04 PM

It was a clear strike at the throw in at the start of the game, umpires ignored it and it set the theme for the game. Dan Flynn returned to FF after the throw in and was dogged off the ball for the rest of the game until he struck out. It seems to be a theme from other reports of Galway games but they are getting away with it.

I know Cian O'Neill can be an excuse maker but his frustrations today were understandable.

Have you a video of that? A still photo proves nothing. Based on the photo alone you could argue that he has a grip of his shirt by the collar rather than he hit him a dig, especially as throwing a dig with your first at that angle would be as likely to break your wrist as hurt the other lad.

SouthDublinBro

It must be extremely galling for Mayo supporters to see Galway succeeding where they failed.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 22, 2018, 10:05:04 PM

What am I supposed to be seeing here, he has a hold of his jerseys goes on in every arm
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 22, 2018, 11:11:16 PM
It must be extremely galling for Mayo supporters to see Galway succeeding where they failed.

I think it'd annoy a few Mayo fans if it happedned again that the only year that Mayo didn't get beaten by/beat Dublin (since 2011) that Dublin would get usurped by A team Mayo would be fairly confident of beating as happened in 2014
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

GalwayBayBoy

Well listen it's great to be back in an All Ireland semi final for the first time since 2001 no matter what happens from here. We're almost in August and we've only lost one competitive game all year, the league final to the Dubs. Hopefully the last four will become a regular event for this bunch as they develop because there are plenty of young players coming through to add to that side over the next few years and we shouldn't lose too many to retirements.

From the Bunker

To be fair, I'd like to see Galway put ye on your arse, however unlikely the scenario is with ye having home advantage for all your remaining games!

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 22, 2018, 10:42:03 PM
Cian O'Neill would want to ditch the whinging, he's been at it a lot already this year.
Fair enough if a Galway player deserved a red card for another incident and you want to decry the lack of consistency in decisions, work away there but cut the bullshit when it's your own player who has let you down, it was a clear red card.
The notion that Kildare were as white as their jerseys today in terms of the off the ball stuff should be laughable to anyone actually at the match, the Kildare 25 was only spared a red card for assaulting Varley in injury time because the full time whistle went.

Exactly. He may yet get cited because I think the linesman saw it. Gave the prostrate Varley a couple of right digs in the back. Shameful.

Dubs in the semi-final is preferable, spared of the hype of the final; Monaghan win in Salthill gets rid of Kerry.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 22, 2018, 11:43:38 PM

To be fair, I'd like to see Galway put ye on your arse, however unlikely the scenario is with ye having home advantage for all your remaining games!

Roscommon are the only Connacht team for this job.

galwayman

A thoroughly enjoyable trip to Newbridge.
Kildare put it up to us massively and kicked some phenomenal scores from play.

From our point of view, we still have a lot to work on but delighted with the win.
We aren't clinical enough in terms of converting goal chances and we'll have to improve in that area.
Michael Daly would be a huge loss if he is out for the semi final - my understanding is it's a slight hamstring tweak so he will be touch and go for 3 weeks time (he will not be risked against Monaghan you'd imagine with any sort of hamstring complaint).
Being already through may take a slight mental edge off us the next day whereas Monaghan have no choice but to win or draw to qualify (you would expect Kerry to handle an already eliminated Kildare at home and therefore have the superior points difference in the event that we win by the minimum margin).
Duggan may be back for the Monaghan game.
Not having Conroy or Duggan yesterday hurt us when Daly went off as it meant Patrick Sweeney would come on (one of Flynn or Conroy would play in half forward line). I don't think they wanted to bring Armie on so early but was surprised Sweeney got the nod ahead of Aido Varley.
It's high time management realise his limitations and play lads that are clearly better than him ahead of him.
He's an honest wholehearted player but that alone doesn't cut it at this level.

Roll on Salthill on Saturday week.

GalwayBayBoy

Didn't even realise the All-Ireland semi-finals were the weekend straight after the last group games. All seems a bit rushed. Surely there should be a week's break before you go into two All-Ireland semi-finals.

Big advantage for Dublin in that they will probably rest a few lads against Roscommon while Galway/Monaghan will be knocking seven bells out of each other and Kerry have to go all out against Kildare too.

DJGaliv

Out of interest does anybody know how many assists Ian burke got the last day?

Duine Eile

Quote from: DJGaliv on July 23, 2018, 12:28:18 PM
Out of interest does anybody know how many assists Ian burke got the last day?

No idea but the man is a genius, excellent again yesterday. Comer would do well to watch how Burke always has the head up looking for the man in the best position.