Author Topic: Row in Mayo LGFA  (Read 35286 times)

From the Bunker

• View Profile
Re: Row in Mayo LGFA
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2018, 12:10:33 AM »
And Carnacon wouldn’t be very well liked, you say?

They’re at it....

Did you read the piece?
Yes.

And club delegates overwhelmingly voted to turf them out, yes?
Club delegates overwhelmingly dislike them, yes?
This is completely manufactured.

Yes, Carnacon bit off more than they could chew this time!  They as a club tried to cause mayhem mid Championship season and thought they would get their way because of who they are (like they did in the past). What would you do? Fine them? You have to have a standard. Why was it Just Carnacon who protested? As the other 4 girls who just left without protest they seem to be a Red Herring in all this.
No. It’s pretty simple. If the club are at fault in instances like this, the chairman & secretary take the fall usually. I think that’s why the rule refers to “members” in particular and not “club”.
Grace O’Malley, the nippy corner forward should not be punished.

But we both know what is at play here.

I'm afraid she's a wee bit overage to be playing for the Mayo ladies team..
They’ve an age limit now too? Rule book is a joke.

Who is Grace O'Malley?

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2018, 12:15:01 AM »
I made her up as some girl from Carnacon who has no connection with any of this, apart from finding herself banned from the Mayo championship of course.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2018, 12:21:24 AM »
I made her up as some girl from Carnacon who has no connection with any of this, apart from finding herself banned from the Mayo championship of course.

Tough shît when your club brings the sport into disrepute. They opened themselves up to the charge by the sheer arrogance of the manner by which the players made their exit from the panel. They seem to have thought they would be the ones who had leverage but they were clearly mistaken. There’s not many outside of yourself and Carnacon members too cut up about this.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 12:46:57 AM by Syferus »

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2018, 12:25:47 AM »

But we both know what is at play here.

I'd guess that there is a tightening up on the power that Carnacon has had on the Mayo Senior Ladies team for a long time now. There has been a long list of Managers who have struggled under this and this is the time to say STOP!

Sometimes you have to Bully the Bully.

I do believe that Carnacon will be reinstated, but their hold on the reigns of the Mayo Senior Ladies team will be lessened. And they will think twice about a stunt like this again. That all the other Key players stayed with the Management shows that what ever the Carnacon Players were upset with was not a important issue among a majority of the squad.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »
#Justice4Grace
If you were any use you'd be playing.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2018, 09:32:04 AM »
#DisGrace

AQMP

• View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2018, 11:49:44 AM »

johnnycool

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2018, 12:36:24 PM »
OTB played an audio of the Mayo manager saying how the exodus happened with the Carnacon secretary ringing him to tell him that all their 8 players were withdrawing for player welfare issues. No information on those issues were given.

Subsequently another three players gave separate personal reasons and another one didn't respond. Thet're from different clubs it seems.

I presume Mayo Ladies CB are using the "bringing the game into disrepute" on the basis that Carnacon made allegations wrt player welfare but haven't backed those up.

thebackbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2018, 02:40:59 PM »
When is Coras book being released again ? October is it ! this will help sell a few books what ever happens !

befair

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2018, 03:45:42 PM »
Players may be volunteers, but so are the county board officials. LGFA is run on a shoe-string compared to the GAA, and the board members have an onerous and completely thankless job.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
To be fair, if the club told the players to leave the squad, it is the club that should be sanctioned.
That's the issue here.
Unless I'm mistaken, the non-Carnacon players (who perhaps left the squad in solidarity) have not been sanctioned, nor have their clubs.
If that is the case, this would challenge the suggestion that the players themselves are being punished for not making themselves available for the county squad.
Is there a paper trail that shows the order came directly from Carnacon?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2018, 04:26:22 PM »
This is far more interesting than the AI final build up and the shïte talking about RTÉ and people pretending Tyrone have a chance. Even when they’re out Mayo manage to take the headlines..

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2018, 04:57:43 PM »
To be fair, if the club told the players to leave the squad, it is the club that should be sanctioned.
That's the issue here.
Unless I'm mistaken, the non-Carnacon players (who perhaps left the squad in solidarity) have not been sanctioned, nor have their clubs.
If that is the case, this would challenge the suggestion that the players themselves are being punished for not making themselves available for the county squad.
Is there a paper trail that shows the order came directly from Carnacon?

From the Mayo News

''When asked why the sanction was unique to Carnacon and their players, and not to other players from other clubs who left, Mr McDonnell said their withdrawal was somewhat different.
“Other players left of an individual nature for personal reasons. Carnacon withdrew their players – they contacted the county manager and withdrew their services. That is what it was seen by the meeting as having brought the game into disrepute. It was the action of the club rather than its players,” he said.
While there is a rule in the Ladies Gaelic Official Guide that allows county boards to impose a six month ban for any player who refuses to play for their county team, Mr McDonnell said this did not apply as ‘personal reasons’ were cited by the non-Carnacon players.''

http://www.mayonews.ie/sports/32536-carnacon-to-appeal-being-thrown-out-of-mayo-championship

Blowitupref

• There will be at least 2 mins of additional time
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 31, 2018, 02:54:44 AM »
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Halfquarter

• View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 31, 2018, 07:37:51 AM »
The latest
http://www.the42.ie/carnacon-appeal-successful-4211287-Aug2018/

I'd imagine that Carnacon might have a little extra motivation I the Mayo championship this year !