Author Topic: Retirements  (Read 36310 times)

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Retirements
« Reply #255 on: October 05, 2020, 08:58:27 AM »
He was a fantastic player. Sad that he has retired

On the ONeill debate, as an armagh man I hated him. As a football fan he was brilliant. Canít say anymore than rhat

Your second paragraph sums up me and Connolly. Pity he didn't quit in 2016.
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 06, 2020, 06:44:34 PM »
Interesting discussion. For me Connolly is an all time great who had the ability to change the biggest matches.

I think the comparisons elsewhere on some top players, in terms of their greatness, is really splitting hairs.

I havenít forgot Joyceís AI final tally. A great player he was, but I felt the other two had the ability to thread passes, or take outrageous scores that lifted their team or turn a game.

I've two stand out memories of Joyce. One was an All Ireland semi-final against Kildare (I think), in pouring rain, where he stood facing out the field at a Kildare kickout and indicated to the whole team to play the ball to him, such was his unbelievable confidence. I remember thinking the confidence that must have given to the whole Galway side at the time. A winner.

The second was a league game against Armagh in Crossmaglen. He run across the Armagh goal, about thirty yards out and then kicked the ball left footed back over his right shoulder towards the far corner. My immediate reaction was relief at his mis-hit effort for a point, until the ball landed in the hands of a free man on the overlap who scored a goal. It was a moment of genius and to me was as good a pass as I have ever seen.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2020, 06:46:09 PM by Rufus T Firefly »

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 06, 2020, 07:09:39 PM »
Stevie O Neill the pick of those three. Genius at play.

An Watcher

• View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 06, 2020, 07:18:30 PM »
Stevie's display when Francie was marking him in croker was as good as I've seen. Think it may have been the drawn ulster final of 05. Hitting points from all angles

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 06, 2020, 11:06:51 PM »
Stevie's display when Francie was marking him in croker was as good as I've seen. Think it may have been the drawn ulster final of 05. Hitting points from all angles

I think you are thinking of the replay, when he scored points into the Canal goal off his right and his left from acute angles. I'm sure Andy Mallon was marking him. I'm open to correction on all of that.

Redhand Santa

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 07, 2020, 07:50:15 AM »

I think you are thinking of the replay, when he scored points into the Canal goal off his right and his left from acute angles. I'm sure Andy Mallon was marking him. I'm open to correction on all of that.

It was the first game he destroyed Bellew in. Scored 6 from play or something of him and tortured him all afternoon.