Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 28, 2018, 10:19:45 AM
There is undoubtedly a disconnect between the people employed to run the association, and the people who make up the association. Sometimes I think the lads above in Croke Park see us as a massive herd of cash endowed county jersey wearing Fresians, and their job is to, in the most efficient way possible, set up the games so that they can milk as much of that cash out of us as they can.

Of course the cash is reinvested in nice barnyards and coaching of young calves, but it has become the raison d'etre, rather than letting the cows do what cows do best, even if that means a little less cash in the milking buckets.

And the disconnect rears its head when they are so surprised that the cows give out about this approach.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

straightred

There is undoubtedly a disconnect between the people employed to run the association, and the people who make up the association. Sometimes I think the lads above in Croke Park see us as a massive herd of cash endowed county jersey wearing Fresians, and their job is to, in the most efficient way possible, set up the games so that they can milk as much of that cash out of us as they can.

Of course the cash is reinvested in nice barnyards and coaching of young calves, but it has become the raison d'etre, rather than letting the cows do what cows do best, even if that means a little less cash in the milking buckets.

And the disconnect rears its head when they are so surprised that the cows give out about this approach.

Season ticket is another one that they are getting away with. It makes no financial sense to have one so they are depending on the lure of an AI ticket to get people to pay more they otherwise would. Take the super 8s which adds 2 more games to the calendar in July/August. There is no way i'll be able to get to all 3 and I've already used my opt out so I'll end up paying for and then giving those tickets away. Would it kill them to allow another opt out on the back of the Super 8s ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: straightred on June 28, 2018, 10:32:41 AM

Season ticket is another one that they are getting away with. It makes no financial sense to have one so they are depending on the lure of an AI ticket to get people to pay more they otherwise would. Take the super 8s which adds 2 more games to the calendar in July/August. There is no way i'll be able to get to all 3 and I've already used my opt out so I'll end up paying for and then giving those tickets away. Would it kill them to allow another opt out on the back of the Super 8s ?

Jinxy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:26:14 AM

The two boys are ready for Thurles!
If you were any use you'd be playing.

AZOffaly

Dinny Breen

Training has intensified in Kilkenny too...
#newbridgeornowhere

TheGreatest

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 09:49:57 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on June 28, 2018, 09:46:46 AM
It will be 3:1 Mayo fans. It will be like a home game for them.

It would have been 5:1 in Croke Park.

Surely not Ewan..

AZOffaly

Quote from: TheGreatest on June 28, 2018, 10:51:53 AM

Surely not Ewan..

Ha! I don't think Dinny is Ewan, that's for sure :)

From the Bunker

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 28, 2018, 10:39:11 AM

Training has intensified in Kilkenny too...

Is that Seanie making a come back to the Hurling?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Crete Boom

Hound

Someone put up a formal home advantage analysis re US basketball a few weeks ago.

As far as I remember, it said that players' performance was not impacted at all whether they were home or away. They did find that home teams won more, and found that was most probably a result of referee's being influenced when one team had a  big advantage in terms of crowd numbers.

I think Thomond Park is a great example of that where the crowd are super at bringing incidents to the attention of the ref! Some Mayo fans think Keegan wouldn't have got his AI final black card if the incident has happened at the Davin End rather than Hill 16 end (although Mayo are the best at putting big numbers on the Hill when playing the Dubs).

So going on that analysis Kildare footballers will have no real home advantage this weekend. Although as Dinny said it'll be far less pronounced that Croke Park would have been. I think it'll be about 60/40 Mayo, rather than more like 80/20 or worse.

Of course, home advantage is a big advantage for home fans in terms of time and money.

Also I think the controversy is bound to mean Kildare put in some kind of a performance this week. Especially if Feely is back 100%.

While losing O'Shea on top of Parsons is of course bad news for Mayo, I think a more running type midfield might not be such a bad thing overall.   

spuds

Mayo more dry stock herd so is it too late to line out a pitch inside the rail at the Curragh to play the game at half time in the Derby game there?

Could have big Barry running in the 2:40 as a sort of fitness test.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

Dinny Breen

Quote from: TheGreatest on June 28, 2018, 10:51:53 AM

Surely not Ewan..

Ffs, I like his mother don't even follow him on twitter. He wrote a great article this week though  ;D
#newbridgeornowhere