Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 05:31:08 PM
Quote from: tc_manchester on June 26, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

I've already booked tickets at Croke for my 3 sons and 2 nephews - no point even looking for 6 tickets if the game is in Newbridge. My nephews are not brought to games by their parents so this was a good opportunity for them to get to a big match with their county involved. You have no hope in getting them interested if you can't get kids in to watch their county.

Even die hard Kildare fans won't get tickets if the game is in Newbridge. Nobody seems to care about this. The value of a home game is more important than satisfying ticket demand.

If the game had been fixed for Newbridge, there would absolutely have been a social media outcry about the 5,000 or 10,000 extra Mayo fans who would have wanted to attend the game!

Especially with the Super 8, the GAA as a whole are going to have to decide what's more important, letting as many people attend as possible, or honouring home advantage even if there is small capacity. And should ticket allocation be the fair 50/50 as in prior years, or should home teams get a bigger slice?

It seems there's a large contingent in favour of home advantage being more important than extra spectators attending. If Kildare were contenders and had tens of thousands of fans attending games like in the O'Dwyer and even McGeeney years, would they them be demanding Newbridge this weekend? A very difficult question to answer.

It's actually not.
They'd play it in Croke Park.
However, it's the year 2018 not 1998 and they're not contenders, and they don't have tens of thousands of fans attending games, so Newbridge makes perfect sense.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 26, 2018, 05:41:23 PM
It seems there's a large contingent in favour of home advantage being more important than extra spectators attending. If Kildare were contenders and had tens of thousands of fans attending games like in the O'Dwyer and even McGeeney years, would they them be demanding Newbridge this weekend? A very difficult question to answer.

Probably not, what has that got to do with the current situation though? It's Kildare's home advantage to decide what they want to do, if they get home advantage in a qualifier draw or the Super 8s and they decide to play it in Croke Park then fine, they don't want to do that right now.
All season ticket holders can be accommodated, there are no H&S issues and it has Garda approval, I don't see the relevance of supporters who can't get in, that's Kildare GAA's call, they have no obligation to accommodate Mayo supporters who don't have a season ticket.
Under the current rules I 100% agree it should be Kildare GAA's call. I've said that a number of times already

RadioGAAGAA

I think its an absolute disgrace the way the Ivory Towers in Croke are acting.

1. All super 8 teams will get a home fixture. Honest.

2. Teams drawn first in 3rd round of qualifiers will get a home fixture (seeding allowing).

3. Oh wait, we could make a good few €€€ here. Health and Safety means we have to move the game.

4. No? But, if we don't move the game there will be crowd trouble (thats the latest from Ned Kelly).

Just a constant stream of lies. All they care about now is the €uro. If they gave more than 2 f**ks about the average club member, they'd be reducing the number of county games to stabilise the club fixture schedule. Instead they are wanting to inc£eas€ them to ca$h in.

Yes, it means that there will be a reduced crowd at it compared to Croke*. But it'll be a white hot atmosphere and Kildare can feed off it. Absolutely right to stand their ground and insist on playing it in Newbridge.

People miss out on games due to limited capacity all the time. Its a part of sport.
i usse an speelchekor

From the Bunker

You have to realise that it is hard for Dublin supporters to understand Kildares situation. To be fair it's hard for Dublin to understand any situation! They never have any situation outside their norm. There have been a few token gesture games outside of Croke Park in the Leinster Championship. And in nearly all these cases the venue has been neutral. They are in their comfort zone Croke Park Bubble from one year to the next, picking off teams that come to visit over the summer.

Hound

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2018, 05:38:52 PM

I've already booked tickets at Croke for my 3 sons and 2 nephews - no point even looking for 6 tickets if the game is in Newbridge. My nephews are not brought to games by their parents so this was a good opportunity for them to get to a big match with their county involved. You have no hope in getting them interested if you can't get kids in to watch their county.

Even die hard Kildare fans won't get tickets if the game is in Newbridge. Nobody seems to care about this. The value of a home game is more important than satisfying ticket demand.

If the game had been fixed for Newbridge, there would absolutely have been a social media outcry about the 5,000 or 10,000 extra Mayo fans who would have wanted to attend the game!

Especially with the Super 8, the GAA as a whole are going to have to decide what's more important, letting as many people attend as possible, or honouring home advantage even if there is small capacity. And should ticket allocation be the fair 50/50 as in prior years, or should home teams get a bigger slice?

Ah the Dub has spoken! Lets think about the Children!
That's unfair. It was a Mayo man (presumably tc manchester is Mayo?) who brought in the fact that children will be among the ones to lose out.
I've said from the start I support Kildare's position.
But there are (unintended, perhaps) consequences as outlined by tc.

I think the Mayo v Dublin Super 8 hypothetical one is a good one. Under current rules, the ticket allocation split will be 50/50, therefore, 15,000 tickets to each side.
Demand in Mayo would way outstrip that. Do they move to Limerick to get an extra 10,000 Mayo tickets (approx 50k capacity I think).
That's not an easy question to answer. Would the Mayo team really be better off playing in Castlebar with 15,000 Dubs there too?
I think they'd clearly stick with Castlebar and suffer the fact that lots of Mayo supporters will lose out (a lot of children I'd guess!!  ;) ) but home advantage is much much less pronounced when support is 50/50

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 05:57:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on June 26, 2018, 05:38:52 PM

Ah the Dub has spoken! Lets think about the Children!
That's unfair. It was a Mayo man (presumably tc manchester is Mayo?) who brought in the fact that children will be among the ones to lose out.
I've said from the start I support Kildare's position.
But there are (unintended, perhaps) consequences as outlined by tc.

I think the Mayo v Dublin Super 8 hypothetical one is a good one. Under current rules, the ticket allocation split will be 50/50, therefore, 15,000 tickets to each side.
Demand in Mayo would way outstrip that. Do they move to Limerick to get an extra 10,000 Mayo tickets (approx 50k capacity I think).
That's not an easy question to answer. Would the Mayo team really be better off playing in Castlebar with 15,000 Dubs there too?
I think they'd clearly stick with Castlebar and suffer the fact that lots of Mayo supporters will lose out (a lot of children I'd guess!!  ;) ) but home advantage is much much less pronounced when support is 50/50

Especially when your home record is pretty bad as ours is
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

manfromdelmonte

The only time Dublin have been disgruntled by a fixture was in 2001 when Maurice floated that free over the bar in Thurles and a lot Dubs got lost on the way down and home

Syferus

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 26, 2018, 06:03:23 PM
The only time Dublin have been disgruntled by a fixture was in 2001 when Maurice floated that free over the bar in Thurles and a lot Dubs got lost on the way down and home

Ros 2016.

The Hill is Blue

Has anyone asked the Kildare team what they think?
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2018, 05:01:49 PM
Quote from: tc_manchester on June 26, 2018, 04:30:00 PM
I just don't understand why the management team want to play the game in Newbridge
1. They haven't won there for a year
2. I was at the Kildare Mayo league match and it was pretty full. If Mayo use their full complement of season tickets then there is no point even looking for a ticket because they'll be like Hen's teeth
3. Kildare's only chance of winning this game is by running the legs off an ageing Mayo team but instead they want to play it in a smaller pitch than Croke. I would have said Yes to croke park but we want to play the game at 3 in the heat of the day. An evening match will suit Mayo even more.

In fairness this is a very good point. Mayo have a superb travelling support. If capacity is 5k I would expect contractually the GAA will have to honour around 3.5k of seats for Mayo. 5k Tickets now left. I am sure Kildare probably have 2-3k season tickets too.

So on general release you are down to only 2-3k available. After all this messing demand will probably be around 15k. Is your average Kildare fan going to be happy they dont have a chance to even see the game? Is it even possible at this stage to arrange an all ticket match?

Should we move the AI final to the Rungrado First of May Stadium in Pyongyang? A lot of years you could probably sell more tickets than the capacity of Croker and sure you wouldn't want anyone to miss out.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Syferus on June 26, 2018, 06:09:18 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 26, 2018, 06:03:23 PM

Ros 2016.

Roscommon played that nicely.

Rossfan

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 26, 2018, 05:10:11 PM
Reports are Croke Park have stirred and are requesting a meeting with KCB.
KCB better be careful.
Last time rebellious leaders from Kildare went to Dublin they met some grisly end.  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Ball Hopper

How many tickets are Kildare obliged to make available to Mayo season ticket holders? 

Is there a rule that can be quoted?

seafoid

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 26, 2018, 06:09:57 PM
O'Neill did via the captain.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2018, 06:15:32 PM
Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 26, 2018, 06:09:57 PM
O'Neill did via the captain.

Do we know what their response was?

I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8