Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Attendance is certified for 10k as per Croke Parks own H&S guidelines.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/financial-woes-may-force-kildare-gaa-to-cut-teams-310441.html 

Very proud of Cian O'Neill this evening. Spoke for the entire Kildare GAA community.

If we have to give a walkover so be it. Someone has to say enough is enough.
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 25, 2018, 09:03:24 PM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 25, 2018, 08:52:08 PM
Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 25, 2018, 08:51:29 PM
Is the capacity of Newbridge really 6200?

How can a county like Kildare only have such a stadium with such a small capacity?

It is not 6200.

Well, check this out...........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Gaelic_Athletic_Association_stadiums
Several of those numbers are aspirational and have not been subject to any modern day H & S audits. O'Moore Park, Portleix wouldn't get certified for anything near 27k with the limited access to the terrace for example.
The Casement Park figure looks optimistic.

heffo

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on June 25, 2018, 09:24:02 PM
A world-class review of Kildare's county ground

We have spoken before about the issue of Kildare's home ground in Newbridge, St Conleth's Park. The lack of facilities there have forced Kildare onto the road all summer and while it is so far, so good enough is enough for Leinster Leader writer Tommy Callaghan. He devoted a few paragraphs to the state of St Conleth's, and they make for great reading.

"The dressing rooms are about as big enough for a couple of five-a-side teams; the referee's area is overcrowded once the linesmen join the match official and as for the press box, Jesus, don't get me started ...

"For a county that boasts one of the biggest followings in the country it is nothing short of disgraceful that we cannot hold a home game that is likely to attract anything close to 8,000...

"St Conleth's Park remains, in this writer's view, an absolute ideal location in the centre of town if it can get not just a makeover but a complete and utter revamp...

"If the refusal of the CCCC to allow Kildare play Limerick in round three of the qualifiers does nothing else, it might, and I emphasise might, just help to concentrate the minds and finally put an end to the embarrassment that Kildare GAA's number one ground is. The time for a splash of paint, fresh soap and new 'smellies' in the loos to keep the natives on side is well and truly gone."

https://www.joe.ie/sport/the-best-thing-ever-written-about-a-kildare-gaa-ground-38451

If it's suitable to host a Div 1 league game it's suitable to hold a qualifier game

*unless it was made clear to Kildare ahead of the championship it wasn't

Donnellys Hollow

The greatest display of Kildare defiance since Shackleton sailed to South Georgia.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

yellowcard

I simply don't buy the health & safety argument, it's a red herring to deflect from the real reason which comes down to revenue and 'product' presentation.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on June 25, 2018, 08:06:48 PM
I think this issue has become a bit of a lightning rod for the general level of disaffection with the direction the association is heading in.
An authoritarian Croke Park combined with the perception that SKY are calling the shots now is the perfect storm.
The powers that be need to think very carefully about their next move here.

RTE this morning said the match would be on in newbridge,
Mayo will walk all over Kildare in Croke Park. That's not fair.

The GAA leadership have had problems balancing the needs of fans, players and third parties for a while
Eg

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2014/0401/606068-oneill-denies-comments-were-insulting/

"Paraic Duffy and I are as conservative and traditional as you will get in the GAA. We are looking at a package here that will satisfy the broad group of people that we are trying to satisfy.
"If we want to concentrate on the number of games that are going to go (from free-to-air), there are five extra games that are going to be televised this year.
"Compared to last year, they are only nine games, not 14, that will be exclusively with Sky. Some people are saying they think it's time the thing was shaken up and those people are going to be happy.
"Those that want to constantly refer to those that won't get to see those games will harp on and quite frankly you couldn't please everybody anyway and that's the nature of it."

under the bar

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 09:24:59 PM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/financial-woes-may-force-kildare-gaa-to-cut-teams-310441.html 

Very proud of Cian O'Neill this evening. Spoke for the entire Kildare GAA community.

+1.  Dublin and the GAA heirarchy have dined out on the paying customers through Croke Park gates for long enough.   We pay for Dublin players not to have to do a days proper work and the top brass to feed at the trough every year.

Crete Boom

Quote from: under the bar on June 25, 2018, 09:43:29 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 25, 2018, 09:24:59 PM

+1.  Dublin and the GAA heirarchy have dined out on the paying customers through Croke Park gates for long enough.   We pay for Dublin players not to have to do a days proper work and the top brass to feed at the trough every year.

Seriously though I hear Dublin players don't work thing all the time but can anyone give me a specific example of this? I know Kevin McMenamin runs his own company so at least one of them must have a real job. Philly Mac has his own gym same as Andy Moran. Doesn't Cian O'Sullivan work for PWC?

sligoman2

Blaming sky for this is way out of line - some real morons out there....

Blame the cp moron who tried to steamroll Kildare..
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

seafoid

I think Croke Park is a problem as well. The revamp was great but it takes an awful lot of money to feed it.

RedHand88

Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2018, 09:55:45 PM
I think Croke Park is a problem as well. The revamp was great but it takes an awful lot of money to feed it.

This is the problem. Its a white elephant that is unnecessary for 95% of games.

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 25, 2018, 09:58:41 PM

The debt has already been paid off. Seafoideen behind the times as usual.

The GAA are greedy but it's got feck all to do with the one world class stadium they have.

Jinxy

Kildare should agree to play the game in Croker and then just carry on down North Circular road beeping the horn on the bus.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

thebar

Quote from: Syferus on June 25, 2018, 10:01:40 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on June 25, 2018, 09:58:41 PM

The debt has already been paid off. Seafoideen behind the times as usual.

The GAA are greedy but it's got feck all to do with the one world class stadium they have.

That made me chuckle...your dreaming fella of course its got to do with Croke Park...filling her to the brim to get the few extra euro that wouldn't otherwise be got...wise up chap!

yellowcard

Anyone who thinks that Sky's needs weren't considered needs to take their heads out of the sand. Of course they don't ultimately set the fixtures but when they pump millions into GAA coffers it's only normal that their needs be considered when setting fixtures and scheduling.