USFC SF: Monaghan v Fermanagh - Sunday 3rd June at 2pm - Healy Park Omagh

Started by GrandMasterFlash, May 29, 2018, 02:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SkillfulBill

Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2018, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 03, 2018, 03:52:49 PM
I seem to remember some Monaghan supporters trying to convince themselves that they were a top 3 team after the Tyrone game I wonder where the thinking is now......if you set up to play with a blanket against a team you should be beating out the gate then you deserve to be beaten...Negative football brings the quality of football down and you get div 3 teams beating div 1.
Name one.

Straightred

sid waddell

That was wonderful. It was like if you had distilled all of the worst aspects of Ulster society over the last 50 years and turned them into a Gaelic football match.

The very essence of the Ulster Championship. The ultimate Ulster Championship match.

It was so grim, so dour, so hateful, so Ulster, that it was completely and utterly compelling.

J70

Rudi

Amazed that players cant take on a shot under no pressure from outside the 45. Monaghan the better team. Donegal will be happy  tonight looks like the 3rd favs to win Ulster will do so without breaking out in sweat.

tintin25

Quote from: Rudi on June 03, 2018, 04:07:32 PM
Amazed that players cant take on a shot under no pressure from outside the 45. Monaghan the better team. Donegal will be happy  tonight looks like the 3rd favs to win Ulster will do so without breaking out in sweat.

Donegal or Down won't be getting anything easy from Fermanagh in the final

straightred

Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 03, 2018, 04:01:02 PM
Quote from: Main Street on June 03, 2018, 03:55:30 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 03, 2018, 03:52:49 PM
I seem to remember some Monaghan supporters trying to convince themselves that they were a top 3 team after the Tyrone game I wonder where the thinking is now......if you set up to play with a blanket against a team you should be beating out the gate then you deserve to be beaten...Negative football brings the quality of football down and you get div 3 teams beating div 1.
Name one.

Straightred

If you're going to quote me try to get it right. My point was that they had as much right to be named among the top teams as galway had given the games they had just won.

Was at the hurling so didnt see it today but it doesnt sound like i missed much. Results like this are the beauty of the ulster championship - it matters! If donegal win next week the final will be hard to watch

mrdeeds

redzone

Quote from: mrdeeds on June 03, 2018, 04:29:11 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 03, 2018, 04:01:39 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 03, 2018, 04:00:20 PM
to beat the blanket do you not have to set up to match it??

Do Dublin ?

Yeah they do. They just break quicker than most teams.
Correct they use the foot pass to break out

FermGael

Ugly, niggly, but what a beautiful game of football.
Pity though we can't win an intermediate Ulster.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

inthrough

Quote from: J70 on June 03, 2018, 04:02:55 PM
Going to be a tough final for Down or Donegal.
No it won't, Donegal are no world beaters but they will win Ulster at a canter.

Fear ón Srath Bán

There's a reason RTÉ is not showing one of the two Provincial football games live right now, and it has nothing to do with competitive nature of either of those non-Ulster offerings! :P
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

From the Bunker

Quote from: redzone on June 03, 2018, 04:33:53 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on June 03, 2018, 04:29:11 PM
Quote from: SkillfulBill on June 03, 2018, 04:01:39 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 03, 2018, 04:00:20 PM
to beat the blanket do you not have to set up to match it??

Do Dublin ?

Yeah they do. They just break quicker than most teams.
Correct they use the foot pass to break out

That takes skillful Footballers to do that! Not every county has this in abundance!

Syferus

Serious performance by Fermanagh, but this Ulsterball stuff is a slog to watch.

befair

Everything that's wrong with GAA football. Massed defences, endless hand-passing around the 45. It's even worse at club level. Rule change needed to de-incentivise the blanket defence.