Offaly v Wicklow/ Louth v Carlow - Double Header Portlaoise Sunday 13th May

Started by AZOffaly, May 11, 2018, 12:06:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Sure why not?

I'm really looking forward to this. In the grand scheme of things it matters not a jot, but to these 4 teams it matters a lot. No TV, no fanfare, but hopefully a decent crowd for what should be two competitive games in Portlaoise. Offaly have been inconsistent in the league, but staying up was a fillip. John Evans is below in Wickow, and with Stephen Wallace in Offaly, this is a battle of two Kerry managers as well. Hopefully it stays dry and is a good start to the Leinster championship. Tickets are bought and I'm raring to go.

A sideshow has developed in Offaly around Cian Johnson, a club man of my own. He's a very promising footballer, but he's only a child still. Doing the leaving cert this year. The Offaly County Board have brought in a local 'addendum' to the National Rule that no senior championship panelist can play U20 football. They have extended it to saying that anyone eligible for U20 *must* play U20. So Cian is being forced out of the panel for the Wicklow game, and possibly (if they win) the next round of the championship v Dublin. He's not happy with that at all, but I think I support the County Board on this. The first game for Offaly in the U20 is the day after the Dublin date, so my point is he'll either be available for the next game, or he'll be in the middle of a decent run with the Offaly U20s. I don't think the rule means that he cannot step up if/when the U20s are beaten.

The Biff

As that potential Dublin date is just the Sunday before the Leaving Cert starts, I'd be suggesting to the lad not to be playing for either team.  Give him the two weeks or so to concentrate on some of the most important exams he'll ever do.  There'll be plenty of time for kicking a bag-of-wind around a field later.

... now ... dream sequence ...Fast-forward to May 27th, Offaly (having licked Wikla) v the Dubs in Tullamore, 10 minutes to go and we're just 2 points down, need to bring on a sub-forward, .... I say to myself "why dont we have Cian Johnson ready to come on?"
Never argue with a fool; He'll bring you down to his level and then beat you on experience.

AZOffaly

Quote from: The Biff on May 11, 2018, 02:50:35 PM
As that potential Dublin date is just the Sunday before the Leaving Cert starts, I'd be suggesting to the lad not to be playing for either team.  Give him the two weeks or so to concentrate on some of the most important exams he'll ever do.  There'll be plenty of time for kicking a bag-of-wind around a field later.

... now ... dream sequence ...Fast-forward to May 27th, Offaly (having licked Wikla) v the Dubs in Tullamore, 10 minutes to go and we're just 2 points down, need to bring on a sub-forward, .... I say to myself "why dont we have Cian Johnson ready to come on?"

Also true. Maybe that's what he's thinking in fairness. 'I'm not playing the U20 anyway, so I might as well play v Wicklow'.

tippabu

Fancy offaly to win easy. The other one im not sure, Louth were absolutely awful in division 2 but feel like now they are playing a team at their level. Carlow did brilliant the last two years but i stand to be corrected, theyve yet to beat anyone outside of division 4? Think Louth might just sneak it but its a 50/50 game

Gael85

Quote from: tippabu on May 11, 2018, 09:01:11 PM
Fancy offaly to win easy. The other one im not sure, Louth were absolutely awful in division 2 but feel like now they are playing a team at their level. Carlow did brilliant the last two years but i stand to be corrected, theyve yet to beat anyone outside of division 4? Think Louth might just sneak it but its a 50/50 game

Brendan Murphy will be a massive loss to Carlow but they have Sean Gannon who is very underrated. Think Carlow lack a quality inside forward to bring them to the next level.

tippabu

Well I couldn't have been any more wrong in my prediction!! Fair play to carlow and wicklow

Jinxy

It's a bit rich Brendan Murphy taking offence at Paddy O'Rourke saying Carlow have no chance of winning anything (I'm paraphrasing) in the current system, and then he disappears to America for the summer.

https://twitter.com/BrendanMurphy17/status/964484764450410498
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Gmac

Carlow seem to have a few really fast players that can carry the ball at pace which is vital ,Murphy with the beard in midfield is a great man to carry but a bit wild with finishing. Nice to see them going well and hope they rattle Kildare

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Gabriel_Hurl

http://offaly.gaa.ie/2018/05/16/offaly-gaa-seek-interim-senior-football-management/

QuoteFollowing a meeting of Coiste Bainisti Uibh Fhaili on Wednesday 16th May 2018, the decision was made that Stephen Wallace should not continue as Manager of the Offaly Senior Football Team.

An Interim Management Team will be appointed as soon as possible.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.