Author Topic: Hurling championship 2018  (Read 24852 times)

From the Bunker

• View Profile
Re: Hurling championship 2018
« Reply #675 on: August 22, 2018, 09:07:57 PM »
Galway were a team running on fumes yesterday and had no viable options to bring in really, Burke and Flynn were always going to come on but apart from them the bench was very bare. The job for Galway for the winter is to find those few extra players, Fintan Burke was immense for the u21s this year, I'm sure we'll see him and a few more brought in for the league. Disappointing to lose but losing to a team like Limerick who were in a similar position to ourselves last year makes it a bit easier. Well done Limerick!
Galway were very lucky with injuries last year especially down the spine of the team. I think we should get another all Ireland if the panel is boosted and injuries to key personnel are avoided.

Ah, these things happen in cycles. Galway will probably have to wait a quarter of a century for the next one!

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: August 22, 2018, 09:50:38 PM »
I still think they will be the team to beat and they will be hungrier next year. They are still young enough too and have a conveyor belt of minor talent coming through.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: August 23, 2018, 10:09:42 AM »
Galway were a team running on fumes yesterday and had no viable options to bring in really, Burke and Flynn were always going to come on but apart from them the bench was very bare. The job for Galway for the winter is to find those few extra players, Fintan Burke was immense for the u21s this year, I'm sure we'll see him and a few more brought in for the league. Disappointing to lose but losing to a team like Limerick who were in a similar position to ourselves last year makes it a bit easier. Well done Limerick!
Galway were very lucky with injuries last year especially down the spine of the team. I think we should get another all Ireland if the panel is boosted and injuries to key personnel are avoided.

Ah, these things happen in cycles. Galway will probably have to wait a quarter of a century for the next one!
Wouldn’t ye be more than happy with that?

https://youtu.be/0ver0lMNMgw

Last year was magical
Those biscuits are for the visitors

didlyi

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: August 23, 2018, 02:38:15 PM »
Galway still dont have a real goal treat in their forwards. Sure one of them pops up from time to time but they are lacking  a permananet threat in the full forward line. They have won alot fo games firing over points from way out the field. That didnt work on Sunday and there seemed to be no plan B.

mouview

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: August 23, 2018, 04:01:43 PM »
Galway still dont have a real goal treat in their forwards. Sure one of them pops up from time to time but they are lacking  a permananet threat in the full forward line. They have won alot fo games firing over points from way out the field. That didnt work on Sunday and there seemed to be no plan B.

Not quite true; they scored more goals this year than last. Whelan, Conor Cooney, Cathal Mannion, JC, even Glynn, more than capable of hitting the net. It's a tactical approach that needs to be worked on. In the opening games v Offaly and KK they seemed to be more consciously going for goals, but that seemed to fade as the year wore on.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #681 on: August 26, 2018, 06:12:47 PM »
Odd game here. Tipp were 1-05 to 0-01 up after 15 minutes. After 30 minutes they trail 1-09 to 1-06.
Great goal from Cork.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: August 26, 2018, 07:05:31 PM »
Big shock Tipp winning
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: August 26, 2018, 07:11:16 PM »
Big shock Tipp winning

Mighty shot in the arm for Tipp. Serious guts in that team.

SHEEDY

• View Profile
« Reply #684 on: August 26, 2018, 07:20:20 PM »
great scenes on the field at the end. great win for tipp.
nil satis nisi optimum

Orchard park

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: August 26, 2018, 08:41:50 PM »
I attended it.  Awful reffing , Mark Coleman avoided a 2nd yellow when the ref was only one at the game didn't see him foul .... Dalton the Cprk no 1q the mouthiest  tool i have seen in a long time.

Hungrier team won.

Will Liam Cahill get the shout now ??

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: August 26, 2018, 09:06:08 PM »
I attended it.  Awful reffing , Mark Coleman avoided a 2nd yellow when the ref was only one at the game didn't see him foul .... Dalton the Cprk no 1q the mouthiest  tool i have seen in a long time.

Hungrier team won.

There will be a groundswell of support alright, especially when you consider the John Kiely factor in Limerick.

I wouldn’t be Cahill’s biggest fan given his attitude towards the big ball, but in fairness to him he has delivered at underage and deserves the top gig if he wants it.

Agree on the refereeing. It looked like he was going to allow everything go, and he just ignored steps completely.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #687 on: August 26, 2018, 09:13:02 PM »

Hungrier team won.

There will be a groundswell of support alright, especially when you consider the John Kiely factor in Limerick.

I wouldn’t be Cahill’s biggest fan given his attitude towards the big ball, but in fairness to him he has delivered at underage and deserves the top gig if he wants it.

Agree on the refereeing. It looked like he was going to allow everything go, and he just ignored steps completely.

Not sure there is a ref out there who enforces anything even close to the steps rule
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Orchard park

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: August 26, 2018, 10:09:50 PM »
Steps was least of the awful reffing today. The mark Coleman incident was farcical and could have cost tipp the game

spuds

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: August 26, 2018, 10:53:45 PM »
Steps was least of the awful reffing today. The mark Coleman incident was farcical and could have cost tipp the game
Really poor decision, was blatantly clear that Colman had repeated the pull down he has committed for the 1st half penalty.

They said on commentary that only 9 frees given in first half which I found interesting.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
 John Hubbard