Author Topic: 'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'  (Read 15277 times)

Jinxy

• View Profile
Re: 'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 11:46:00 PM »
Back in 2015, David Gough was going to wear a rainbow wristband with the GAA's blessing while reffing a game in Croke Park.
However, they then changed their mind and said he couldn't wear it.
My recollection of the incident was there was no issue with him wearing the wristband when it was considered an anti-homophobia gesture, however he then made comments about the same-sex marriage referendum, which then gave the impression it was a political gesture.
Once something becomes political, the association needs to keep well clear.
I think the GPA supported a 'Yes' vote, but they only represent inter-county players (who I presume were consulted in advance) and as such have nothing to do with you or I.
Big difference between a players representative body and the actual association.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 11:46:55 PM »
It's a contentious enough debate without people who will be unaffected by the result campaigning either way.

By extension medical professionals from the UK should be barred from passing comment on the amendment as they will be unaffected by the result.
Have they all come together under a similar type of campaign trying to influence the vote either way? If so then they absolutely should be barred from doing that.

Itís a moral issue. One of perceived right and wrong.
Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israelís treatment of Palestine.Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I donít see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

Absolute nonsense comparison. Itís nothing like that at all.
Explain. You arenít from there. It has no impact on your life.

Ah here, really? Thereís nothing to be gained from further interaction on this subject by the looks of it.
Because you canít.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 11:55:11 PM »
https://twitter.com/BallyfermotDLS/status/987732535533867008

Fair play to them.
Croke Park needs to get out in front of this, and fast.
There are plenty of people in this country with little or no interest in sport who will not understand the distinction between the position of this small group staging a photo op in a sports centre and position of the wider association.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2018, 12:05:05 AM »
Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israelís treatment of Palestine. Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I donít see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

Agree 100%.

Also agree that these campaigners should keep the GAA out of the title of their campaign

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2018, 12:08:09 AM »
Exactly Jinxy.
Let them tear away as individuals , albeit well known ones due to GAA involvement which might influence some.
And Micky H is as much entitled to promote one side as is E Magee the other.
Magee can vote though.
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

An Fhairche Abu

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2018, 12:08:40 AM »
It's a contentious enough debate without people who will be unaffected by the result campaigning either way.

By extension medical professionals from the UK should be barred from passing comment on the amendment as they will be unaffected by the result.
Have they all come together under a similar type of campaign trying to influence the vote either way? If so then they absolutely should be barred from doing that.

Voting Jurisdiction has nothing to do with it. Much like being from Ireland and campaigning about Israelís treatment of Palestine.Furthermore, we live on the same (small) island. Mickey Harte lives closer to Monaghan than he does Ballycastle. I donít see how the border has any impact on the moral views of anyone in Ireland, unless it suits them to.

Ah here, really? Thereís nothing to be gained from further interaction on this subject by the looks of it.
Because you canít.
No I donít have the interest to engage further, youíre just flat out wrong in my opinion.

Jinxy

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2018, 12:20:19 AM »
https://twitter.com/EDDIEBARRETT/status/987815661094277120

Probably going to see a lot of this type of thing over the next couple of days if the GAA don't act quickly to distance themselves from this specific incident and also to clarify their 'non-political' stance in general.
Social media is full of self-righteous clowns who expect those they disagree with to be punished simply for holding an opposing viewpoint.
My understanding is that they are not in breach of any of the association's rules, therefore to suggest they be 'suspended' is absurd.

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2018, 12:21:54 AM »

Because you canít.
No I donít have the interest to engage further, youíre just flat out wrong in my opinion.
Iím not. Thatís why Iím willing to engage.

Fear ůn Srath BŠn

• View Profile
    • Cumann Mhic Sioghair CLG, An Srath BŠn
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2018, 01:20:10 AM »
The GAA should not be used as a vehicle for either side in this unavoidably divisive debate, and Mickey Harte et al. should be more self-aware than that, and just steer fecking clear, for once.

But for (rather pathetic) partitionists to indulge their petty political biases is equally reprehensible -- give it a rest too, things may catch you up before you know where you really are, and who or what has jurisdiction where might just be a trivial fading memory where this island is concerned, and sooner than you think.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 01:32:00 AM »
http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/284050

'The launch takes place at 2pm in the Ballyfermot Sports and Fitness Centre where the GAA stars will campaign for a 'No' vote in the upcoming referendum on the Eighth Amendment.

The GAA stars will conduct a skills training session for local children from 2-3pm, followed by a press availability and the reading out of an official statement thereafter.'

Who in their right mind is going to supply their kids for this photo op?

This definitely goes way too far.

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 02:49:48 AM »
Just checked there and the name of the group is "Gaelic Athletes for Life" rather than GAA athletes. A minor but significant difference tbf

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 03:14:33 AM »
Sure wasnt Enda and a gang over in Ruislip at the Mayo game campaigning against Brexit outside the stadium.

And the (hammered) Mayo fan was interviewed afterwards by RTE complaining about all the foreigners coming in taking the jobs.

Mickey Harte is entitled to his opinion. He is recognized and respected North and South, but why in Gods name (if he/she exists) would anyone cast their vote based on what the manager of a football team has to say on the matter.

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 04:30:04 AM »
Sure wasnt Enda and a gang over in Ruislip at the Mayo game campaigning against Brexit outside the stadium.

And the (hammered) Mayo fan was interviewed afterwards by RTE complaining about all the foreigners coming in taking the jobs.

Mickey Harte is entitled to his opinion. He is recognized and respected North and South, but why in Gods name (if he/she exists) would anyone cast their vote based on what the manager of a football team has to say on the matter.

Iíll correct myself. Youíre the real king of the bad take.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 04:43:52 AM »

Iíll correct myself. Youíre the real king of the bad take.

Dont you have a sheep to be attending to, or a Brendan Shine concert to attend rather than criticizing very intelligent and meaningful posts like mine?

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 06:35:13 AM »
Is Mickey Harte catholic?
Those biscuits are for the visitors