Author Topic: Nicest Towns in Ireland  (Read 4702 times)

gallsman

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Nicest Towns in Ireland
« Reply #90 on: April 19, 2018, 05:49:13 PM »
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Hillsborough, Co. Down, black as it may be is a lovely, well kept town with some great spots for food and drink.
Presumably the use of the  word 'black' is a pejorative term.  What would the equivalent to this be on the opposite side of the coin?

I've absolutely no idea.

I'm sure you know full well that "black" being used in that particular context simply refers to a location as being overwhelmingly unionist or Protestant. A historically cold house for people of my ilk. Whether that's pejorative or not is a different question altogether.
"Never mind your why. Why ain't in your repetoire no more n***a"

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 19, 2018, 06:09:17 PM »
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Hillsborough, Co. Down, black as it may be is a lovely, well kept town with some great spots for food and drink.
Presumably the use of the  word 'black' is a pejorative term.  What would the equivalent to this be on the opposite side of the coin?

I've absolutely no idea.

I'm sure you know full well that "black" being used in that particular context simply refers to a location as being overwhelmingly unionist or Protestant. A historically cold house for people of my ilk. Whether that's pejorative or not is a different question altogether.

I always thought it was linked to the Black Perceptory.

moysider

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 19, 2018, 06:43:06 PM »

Nice to live beside a town that has been mentioned a few times. In fact it could have been listed in the previous thread as well!!

A couple of my own favourite smaller villages.

Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. Beach, cliffs, archaeology, birdwatching, walking, whalewatching and a wonderful café at the bottom of the hill.

Easkey, Co. Sligo. Surfing, fishing and a wondeful area to walk and cycle. Loads of space for camper vans along the shore. Pints for 3.50 and 4.00.

Both are underdeveloped - but that is not a bad thing imo.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 19, 2018, 06:53:46 PM »
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

Someone I know from Cavan wouldn't drink Lyons tea because it was a black Protestant tea.

I've absolutely no idea.

Those biscuits are for the visitors

Eamonnca1

• Catching the world in my headlights of justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 19, 2018, 07:46:27 PM »
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

I've absolutely no idea.

Funny thing about the use of that word. When Protestants are giving out about the cops they call them "black b******s." Damned if I know where that comes from.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 19, 2018, 07:52:33 PM »
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

I've absolutely no idea.

Funny thing about the use of that word. When Protestants are giving out about the cops they call them "black b******s." Damned if I know where that comes from.
Presumably from the black and tans.

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2018, 08:36:38 PM »

Nice to live beside a town that has been mentioned a few times. In fact it could have been listed in the previous thread as well!!

Ballycastle, Co. Mayo. Beach, cliffs, archaeology, birdwatching, walking, whalewatching and a wonderful café at the bottom of the hill.

Easkey, Co. Sligo. Surfing, fishing and a wondeful area to walk and cycle. Loads of space for camper vans along the shore. Pints for 3.50 and 4.00.

Ballycastle in Co. Antrim was voted one of the best places to live.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:35:04 PM by Tony Baloney »

Dougal Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 19, 2018, 09:14:42 PM »
Spent a night in Carnlough a couple of weeks ago. Very nice spot.
Careful now

red hander

• Masters of the dark arts since 1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 19, 2018, 09:29:57 PM »
Ardara, Co. Donegal.

I've absolutely no idea.

You regularly hear "black enamel b**tards" too, for particularly strident loyalists

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2018, 09:52:04 PM »
I've always wondered whats the prod equivalent of "black b**tard". It is just "fenian b**tard"?
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2018, 09:54:56 PM »
Not sure where the “black” comes from but I’ve heard people call them “Black enamel b**tards” if that sheds any light on it.

Edit: As red hander says......

michaelg

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2018, 10:02:09 PM »
I've always wondered whats the prod equivalent of "black b**tard". It is just "fenian b**tard"?
Probably, although folk on here probably think the former is just harmless banter.  Similary, referring to a black hole seems to be  absolutely grand.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2018, 10:07:43 PM »

I think some of the smaller towns and villages came out of the recession better than the larger towns.  Places like Balla and Lahardane and Turlough seem to have really progressed, while places Castlebar and Kiltimagh have gone backwards

I love Enniscrone and visit every year Im home, but someone in the know was telling me Easkey was even better.  I havent been to Ballycastle (kids scared of heights) but Mulranny now is a great little spot

macdanger2

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2018, 10:10:50 PM »

Not many jobs up there unfortunately though. A friend of mine living in killala has a young son (~10) who plays with Naomh Eoin (or Pádraig)? Anyway, it's an underage amalgamation of 3-4 clubs, doesn't bode well for those clubs in north Mayo

trileacman

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2018, 10:13:04 PM »
I love wandering around Howth peninsula, probably rich and full of pretentious w**kers but it's a lovely place of a good day. Never rated Dun Laoghire as highly though I've always liked Killiney.

Garrison in Fermanagh is pleasant. Have never really rated Plumbridge but obviously some do. North Antrim is class but the Game of Thrones crowd have kinda spoiled it.

I'd rather we excluded tourist/hen/stag towns, they have an obvious advantage as regards investment, trying to look good etc. Carrick on Shannon, Westport, Kilkenny and Carlingford are great spots.

Tallanstown in Louth is a lovely spot.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014