Brian McGuigans Bad Luck

Started by Quarterback, May 14, 2007, 09:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

full back

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 16, 2007, 08:26:31 AM
The outlook does not look good for him this year unfortunately. Hope he makes a full recovery.

McGuigan set to miss rest of season - from the Indo today

STAR Tyrone centre-forward Brian McGuigan looks set to miss another championship season because of serious injury, it has emerged.

McGuigan missed Tyrone's 2006 championship campaign after sustaining a broken leg in a club game last April and, in the latest cruel blow to Tyrone's All-Ireland hopes, it has emerged that the eye injury he sustained while playing for the Ardboe reserves against Aghyaran on Sunday is more serious than originally feared.

The classy playmaker was on the receiving end of a heavy challenge from an opponent and was caught so hard that the initial damage required eight stitches from medics at Altnagelvin hospital in Derry. But the damage is now much more serious than initially suspected with some speculation in Tyrone last night putting his recovery period at up to 12 months because of the dangers of another blow in such a sensitive area.

McGuigan is due to have surgery on Friday to repair internal damage to the retina and already there is apparent improvement in his vision.

McGuigan was uncontactable yesterday but Tyrone manager Mickey Harte did confirm that his influential centre-forward would be out for the entire Ulster campaign and the first two rounds of qualifiers.

"He's out for a minimum of two months and it could be longer," confirmed Harte, who appeared to dismiss suggestions he could be out until 2008.

In addition, Enda McGinley (shoulder) has joined Tyrone's injury-list ahead of Sunday's game against Fermanagh.

Stephen O'Neill and Martin Penrose are also out because of injury. McGinley, Owen Mulligan (hamstring) and Raymond Mulgrew (knee) are all considered extremely doubtful for the Fermanagh clash.

Was it a boot or fist?
Did the other lad get booked or sent off

orangeman

I was at the match - there was a pensioner refereeing the match called John Hackett from Eskra who couldn't run even bewtween the two 50's - he couldn't keep up with play - he says he saw NOTHING, he didn't even give a free and he didn't stop play and he didn't allow a blood sub on and had to ask at half time what happened ! Refereeing in Tyrone is at an all time low and it's about time penioners stopped refereeing - now I'm not saying it still wouldn't have happened cos the Aghyaran defenders simply took him out and that was the end - I believe there is goig to be an investigation so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Any guesses as to what will be the outcome ?

Star Spangler

He must be a fit pensioner so, because when I did the refereeing course (at 29 and playing first team football) I almost failed the physical!

orangeman

i hear there's going to be an investigation into the Brian Mc Guigan incident ? surely Tyrone's top players need protection when they're on the field even if it is only a reserve match ?

tyroneboi

Quote from: orangeman on May 16, 2007, 01:57:55 PM
I was at the match - there was a pensioner refereeing the match called John Hackett from Eskra who couldn't run even bewtween the two 50's - he couldn't keep up with play - he says he saw NOTHING, he didn't even give a free and he didn't stop play and he didn't allow a blood sub on and had to ask at half time what happened ! Refereeing in Tyrone is at an all time low and it's about time penioners stopped refereeing - now I'm not saying it still wouldn't have happened cos the Aghyaran defenders simply took him out and that was the end - I believe there is goig to be an investigation so it will be interesting to see what comes out of that. Any guesses as to what will be the outcome ?

ever thought about taking up the old refereeing if you believe the standard is that low?

leamtaighabu

here's hoping Brian makes a full an speedy recovery...anyone would want to see this man back playing again at his best...an thats coming from a derry man..

Kerry Mike

Any updates from the Tyronite on McGuigan, did he have an operation on the eye? Let hope his vision is not effected.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

loughshore lad

Quote from: Kerry Mike on May 18, 2007, 02:19:44 PM
Any updates from the Tyronite on McGuigan, did he have an operation on the eye? Let hope his vision is not effected.

Operation was earlier today so I would say they might have a better idea of the prognosis after doing it.

orangeman

He did have the operation to repair the retina today and by all accounts things went as well as could be expected - let's all keep out fingers crossed that he will regain 100% vision and that he will grace the fields of Ireland once again and that the next time he takes the field, there won't be any hallions around and that there willa referee who will give him a bot of protection !!!!!!

shitzroy

Quote from: orangeman on May 17, 2007, 01:37:04 PM
i hear there's going to be an investigation into the Brian Mc Guigan incident ? surely Tyrone's top players need protection when they're on the field even if it is only a reserve match ?

Why do their top players need protection? why should they get any more protection than the reserve players they were playing against???? If McGuigan had injured some poor tyrone reserve player this badly, i'm sure we wouldn't be hearing anything about it. I imagine the incident was probably dirty or maybe just hard hitting but I think we can be sure it was no dirtier than felonies committed by mcguigan and co. down the years at club and county level.

new devil

Quote from: shitzroy on May 18, 2007, 06:49:57 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 17, 2007, 01:37:04 PM

Why do their top players need protection? why should they get any more protection than the reserve players they were playing against???? If McGuigan had injured some poor tyrone reserve player this badly, i'm sure we wouldn't be hearing anything about it. I imagine the incident was probably dirty or maybe just hard hitting but I think we can be sure it was no dirtier than felonies committed by mcguigan and co. down the years at club and county level.

Why dont you f**k off, you have some nerve coming back on here after the shit you've posted earlier!!

ONeill

It's a strange one that. You do feel that county players get a hard time with nobodies trying to make a name for themselves. On the other hand, county players also seem to get into trouble themselves rather easily. Perhaps one follows the other.

One thing for sure, stay away from Aghayaran!! First Penrose....
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ExiledGael

"Felonies"  :D
Your almost saying that justice has been done here somewhere you asshole!
The point for me is that McGuigan is an outstanding talent in our game. He's obviously different from your standard reserve player but the only thing you say correctly is that both deserve the same treatment.
McGuigan, and other top talents in our game, are targetted in many matches by players with far inferior ability and that is what's wrong. Because they are excellent footballers they should not be subjected to any kind of punishment.
You are a disgrace to the GAA and I'm ashamed that your even a fellow countryman

Over the Bar

Fingers crossed for Brian.  The lad has had no luck this past 2 years.

I see shitzroy has been banned from the board.  Good riddance to the cancerous little toe-rag.

parttimeexile

Quote from: Over the Bar on May 20, 2007, 08:19:12 PM
Fingers crossed for Brian.  The lad has had no luck this past 2 years.

I see shitzroy has been banned from the board.  Good riddance to the cancerous little toe-rag.

Good to see that people cant get away with sayin things like Shitzroy.Is it hard for people to start under a different name?